Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Still trying to figure out what the problem is with my epg on 5.5. When I try download it says, starting download, starting converter, loading data but dosnt actually do anything, my tuner configuration is ; tuner b- simple, single, 28e. .tuner c- equal to b. That ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

how.gareth wrote: »
    Still trying to figure out what the problem is with my epg on 5.5. When I try download it says, starting download, starting converter, loading data but dosnt actually do anything, my tuner configuration is ; tuner b- simple, single, 28e. .tuner c- equal to b. That ok?

Yes if you have two good feeds from the LNB. Try them one at a time in tuner B. Also Make sure crossepg is configured to save to HDD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Illdoit2morrow and I recently had an issue with crossEPG not downloading on Hyperion 5.1 Everything was configured correctly but even when you ran a manual download it finished almost immediately so it was obvious it was not getting any data.
    In the end the only cure was to uninstall/reinstall crossEPG which then worked perfectly again.

I'm wondering if there is a problem with the image because when I tried to delete epg in the plugin menu it says "no new plugins" it also says that when I try download a new plugin although when I first set up the image it allowed me download plugins no problem, I had this issue when I first attempted to set up this 5.5 a few days ago aswell
    And webif ain't working again either, just throws up a load of errors about pythons and stuff

deezell wrote: »
    Yes if you have two good feeds from the LNB. Try them one at a time in tuner B. Also Make sure crossepg is configured to save to HDD

Will try the feeds, hdd is perfect

• Advertisement

I just tried to update the firmware and it can't connect to that server, It dosnt seem to be able to connect to anything but my network is showing as connected grand and all my stations are running perfect and can connect to Oscam no prob. Very strange

I just tried to update the firmware and it can't connect to that server, It dosnt seem to be able to connect to anything but my network is showing as connected grand and all my stations are running perfect and can connect to Oscam no prob. Very strange

Is Webif working? Did you have a fixed ip address prior to the new image? Try setting network to dhcp and see does it change on reboot. Almost seems like an ip conflict. Are you using a wifi dongle, wired or homeplugs/wireless extender. I recall an episode on my box where I had oscam webif but other sockets (ip port no. pair) were not working. Reboot of the router followed by powering up the extender then powering and connecting the box restored all network function

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Greetings,

Bought an Amiko Alien 2+ recently. It was pre-configured by the shop that supplied it. It boots up as Enigma (the latest VIX 'blue'). I've been through a lot of posts in this and other threads , and they've been very helpful. However, one thing I couldn't find was a 'idiots guide' to using the RC. My main problem is using Timeshift. I press the Timeshift button, everything stops, and a Vix screensaver pops up. When I'm ready I press PLAY and off we go. However, there are two things happening:

1. after a while the playback starts jumping, perhaps jumping 2 or 3 seconds ahead - I can tell the length of the gaps because its the News and so the shortness of the gap is obvious.
    2. I'm not sure which buttons to press to jump backwards and forwards while watching a timeshifted programme, eg to skip the ads. Edit : I've managed to freeze the box by pressing buttons in succession trying to find the right one, resulting in a 'hard' reboot to fix it.

Thanks in advance
    Nick

Is Webif working? Did you have a fixed ip address prior to the new image? Try setting network to dhcp and see does it change on reboot. Almost seems like an ip conflict. Are you using a wifi dongle, wired or homeplugs/wireless extender. I recall an episode on my box where I had oscam webif but other sockets (ip port no. pair) were not working. Reboot of the router followed by powering up the extender then powering and connecting the box restored all network function

Webif is just showing an error screen when I try access it, i dont have anything connected other my Ethernet cable. I have the same settings on my 5.3 back up which is running fine, I've loaded that back up for now before the wife gets home. I'll give it another look tomorrow and double check the network settings

Webif is just showing an error screen when I try access it, i dont have anything connected other my Ethernet cable. I have the same settings on my 5.3 back up which is running fine, I've loaded that back up for now before the wife gets home. I'll give it another look tomorrow and double check the network settings

The only thing I can think of is if at some stage the box corrupted it's own image during the early stages of running after flashing. It's importantt to get the hdd mounted before crossepg starts trying to save to the box flash memory. Try pointing cross at a memory stick instead before downloading and see if download succeeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,346 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Greetings,

Bought an Amiko Alien 2+ recently. It was pre-configured by the shop that supplied it. It boots up as Enigma (the latest VIX 'blue'). I've been through a lot of posts in this and other threads , and they've been very helpful. However, one thing I couldn't find was a 'idiots guide' to using the RC. My main problem is using Timeshift. I press the Timeshift button, everything stops, and a Vix screensaver pops up. When I'm ready I press PLAY and off we go. However, there are two things happening:

1. after a while the playback starts jumping, perhaps jumping 2 or 3 seconds ahead - I can tell the length of the gaps because its the News and so the shortness of the gap is obvious.
    2. I'm not sure which buttons to press to jump backwards and forwards while watching a timeshifted programme, eg to skip the ads. Edit : I've managed to freeze the box by pressing buttons in succession trying to find the right one, resulting in a 'hard' reboot to fix it.

Thanks in advance
    Nick

Forward and backward can be achieved by using

3, 6, 9 for varying degrees of skip forward
    1, 4, 7 for varying degrees of skip backward

I know! Totally obvious really..

Thanks Lawred!

I suppose the logic of it is obvious, once you know the buttons, but intuitive is not a word I'd use here :D:D

Is there documentation about this anywhere?

The other thing was the 'auto' skipping 'feature' while watching a Timeshifted programme . My disk is 500GB, powered via the USB interface and I have the EPG writing to that. Also the disk is mounted in the VIX bluescreen setup facility. Viewing the disk contents I see various folders, one called Timeshift, so presumably that's where my timeshift data is being written, rather than RAM. When I look at my recordings, they're there - although I haven't yet viewed any, so I don't know if the skipping problem is present on those as well. Does any of this ring a bell?

And thanks indeed for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it as I'm struggling to find a single source of all info.

Cheers
    Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Thanks Lawred!

I suppose the logic of it is obvious, once you know the buttons, but intuitive is not a word I'd use here :D:D

Is there documentation about this anywhere?

The other thing was the 'auto' skipping 'feature' while watching a Timeshifted programme . My disk is 500GB, powered via the USB interface and I have the EPG writing to that. Also the disk is mounted in the VIX bluescreen setup facility. Viewing the disk contents I see various folders, one called Timeshift, so presumably that's where my timeshift data is being written, rather than RAM. When I look at my recordings, they're there - although I haven't yet viewed any, so I don't know if the skipping problem is present on those as well. Does any of this ring a bell?

And thanks indeed for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it as I'm struggling to find a single source of all info.

Cheers
    Nick

I hope you formatted your external drive as ext3?

I hope you formatted your external drive as ext3?

ahem :confused:

The installer attached the hard drive and did some wizardry which I couldn't see. Have just searched this thread and found info on formatting, I'll give that a go. Have already tried the VIX format utility, but subsequent filesystem checks come back with "bad magic number..." or something like that and then reports that the mounted disk is NTFS with name New Volume. I have nothing I care about on the disk so I'll bang away at it (using the Spark os to format the disk).

Thanks High Horse, I'll post up the results here, and as I said to lawred, I appreciate you taking the time to post some advice.

This is a great forum, folks!

Cheers
    Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Tefral

Nowso wrote: »
    I hadnt done a back up of Vix4 2.2.009 enigma2 since loading the new rte player so have done one now

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vdcgbqqnhywxao8/AAAUP3hhyz1smLPNuSr_an2Ma?dl=0

all you need to do is change your soarview area on tuner + autobouqetsmaker

enter your connection details

set up your epg etc

I set this up earlier.

one question i have is that on the EPG i have alot of channels that say "N/A" in my epg and some of them dont work and say "DVB service" "Service unavailable" Check tuner configuration" on them. can you shed light on how to get rid of this?

Tefral wrote: »
    I set this up earlier.

one question i have is that on the EPG i have alot of channels that say "N/A" in my epg and some of them dont work and say "DVB service" "Service unavailable" Check tuner configuration" on them. can you shed light on how to get rid of this?

I find one a month you should run a full satellite scan on 28e with clear before scan enabled then run autobouquets with NIT scan and after run a crossepg download

I find one a month you should run a full satellite scan on 28e with clear before scan enabled then run autobouquets with NIT scan and after run a crossepg download

For some reason CrossEPG wont download on the inbuilt HD. Im only used to Hyperion so this VIX one has me a little confused but it does seem better

For some reason CrossEPG wont download on the inbuilt HD. Im only used to Hyperion so this VIX one has me a little confused but it does seem better

Did you set Crossepg to save to the USB drive, it'll crash the box if it's saving to internal flash. Did you also enable the provider to open tv Sky Uk 28.2

Did you set Crossepg to save to the USB drive, it'll crash the box if it's saving to internal flash. Did you also enable the provider to open tv Sky Uk 28.2

Ill check the Open TV.

Its an inbuilt HD not a flash drive. You can get the Amikos with that option they take out the front panel usb port then.

So I checked both tuners and I have sat lock on both.
    Auto Channel Scan throws up all the channels.
    Run Autobouquets... sweet FA.

It seems to be that it wont find channels on the DVB-S only DVBS2

• Advertisement

So I checked both tuners and I have sat lock on both.
    Auto Channel Scan throws up all the channels.
    Run Autobouquets... sweet FA.

It seems to be that it wont find channels on the DVB-S only DVBS2

Back up all your bouquets on your previous image using Dreambox Edit or OpenWebif or both. Reflash then just restore using either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Just reimaged box with vix 4. Mostly went fine but a few queries that you guys might be able to help with.

Saorview - auto scan missed RTE1 and a few others. From a search of the thread it is associated with weak signal. However, everything was fine with old image (Hyperion 4.5). Decent quality aerial is outside. To complicate matters, a manual scan detects the missing channels. I added them to my favourites and then the other saorview channels are greyed out and no longer work. Strength of signal not the problem.

Dreambox edit- up to now I have always done updates manually using remote. It's slow and painful. I downloaded the software on the laptop, then realised that I have no Ethernet port! Can I use WiFi to communicate with the box? Never used it so a complete idiots guide would be great.

Finally just a minor irritation - pressing the play button on the remote no longer brings you into the planner. Can I reconfigure this myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Just reimaged box with vix 4. Mostly went fine but a few queries that you guys might be able to help with.

Saorview - auto scan missed RTE1 and a few others. From a search of the thread it is associated with weak signal. However, everything was fine with old image (Hyperion 4.5). Decent quality aerial is outside. To complicate matters, a manual scan detects the missing channels. I added them to my favourites and then the other saorview channels are greyed out and no longer work. Strength of signal not the problem.

When you do a manual scan there is an option to clear current channels - this should be set to "no"
    Just do the scan on the frequency you are missing - wikipedia your transmitter name for details.

You can only use wifi if you have an wifi dongle attached to your box

Not sure how to change buttons in vix - someone else will help

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Barnaboy wrote: »

Dreambox edit- up to now I have always done updates manually using remote. It's slow and painful. I downloaded the software on the laptop, then realised that I have no Ethernet port! Can I use WiFi to communicate with the box? Never used it so a complete idiots guide would be great.

Finally just a minor irritation - pressing the play button on the remote no longer brings you into the planner. Can I reconfigure this myself?

Dreamboxedit can work over wifi, you just need your box ip and the username and password. root is usually the username, password depends on the image. If you use filezilla over the wifi, it would be the same credentials.

Vix4 username is 'root' password is blank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

HELP!!

Lads running Hyperion 4.5 now for a couple of years and this morning I turned on the box, but after a long wait the Hyperion logo came up then;
    PK team logo.
    Picture of the remote control
    Then RTE1 comes on but very dark and no menu options only four color bars representing the four colour buttons of the remote control.

HELP!!

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭tnegun

HELP!!

Lads running Hyperion 4.5 now for a couple of years and this morning I turned on the box, but after a long wait the Hyperion logo came up then;
    PK team logo.
    Picture of the remote control
    Then RTE1 comes on but very dark and no menu options only four color bars representing the four colour buttons of the remote control.

HELP!!

Any ideas?

Did you try boot into Spark? If that works OK reflash Enigma2 from your own backup or one of the ones posted here.

tnegun wrote: »
    Did you try boot into Spark? If that works OK reflash Enigma2 from your own backup or one of the ones posted here.

Thanks for the quick reply

Damn.

Tried force boot it into Spark but says 'BOOT' about 10secs then beeps then red light and NOTHING!?!?!?!

:(

Any ideas?

Thanks for the quick reply

Damn.

Tried force boot it into Spark but says 'BOOT' about 10secs then beeps then red light and NOTHING!?!?!?!

:(

Any ideas?

Force boot back to Enigma. If it's still knackered then force reflash enigma. If reflashed fails, there is a spark recovery file I think Nowso has.

• Advertisement

Force boot back to Enigma. If it's still knackered then force reflash enigma. If reflashed fails, there is a spark recovery file I think Nowso has.

ITS ALIVE... kinda:(

Yea, i had proceeded and reflashed a new Spark image (usb in back and force boot into 'FACT' = v+ button on front) took about 3 different usb sticks before it took.

Then curiosity got the better of me, so i forced boot back into Enigma (to see if the enigma image was still installed) and it booted up then crashed the whole lot again.

back to square one but have learned that my Enigma image is corrupt enough to bring down my whole box, weird! - well that's what i am hoping is going on.

Gonna go back to Zardoz original 4.5 image and try from there after I've fixed Spark (again).

send some positivity my way please. After all the big game is on a 4pm

....ahh bollox just realised ive no recent bouquets backed up. :mad:

will keep you update

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement