Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

walshy_c wrote: »
    I want to update my Dad's Alien2 box and want to give this image a try. Is there a guide on how to flash the receiver with this image?
    Thanks to champ there is a detailed guide in this thread but way back at the beginning
    post #2
    if your already using enigma just go from point number 2

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Tuesday13

I need to re-install the Timeshift Plugin. What is the best option here(running FreshPots 4.5 image):

a) Go ahead and install whats available via the onscreen plugins menu(presumably the most recent plugin)
    b) Manually download and install via fileZilla a previous more 'stable'/compatible version?

Haven't used TimeShift in months but planning to re-install now.

Tuesday13 wrote: »
    I need to re-install the Timeshift Plugin. What is the best option here(running FreshPots 4.5 image):

a) Go ahead and install whats available via the onscreen plugins menu(presumably the most recent plugin)
    b) Manually download and install via fileZilla a previous more 'stable'/compatible version?

Haven't used TimeShift in months but planning to re-install now.

I thought timeshift was part of the image and not a separate plugin
    If what your talking about is permanent timeshift (for rewinding )
    you would enable it in
    setup/system /user interface

It is part of the image on hyper 4.5 that I have and don't remember installing it separate

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭elvis23

Is anyone having trouble getting satellites.xml from http://satellites-xml.eu ?

The website seems to have changed and I don't see any transponders/satellites listed in the 'Range' tab drop-down.
    Anyone happen to have a link to a recent one for 28.2E

elvis23 wrote: »
    Is anyone having trouble getting satellites.xml from http://satellites-xml.eu ?

The website seems to have changed and I don't see any transponders/satellites listed in the 'Range' tab drop-down.
    Anyone happen to have a link to a recent one for 28.2E

you could try this one instead
    http://satellites-xml.org/
    Go into custom and pick the sat you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭elvis23

you could try this one instead
    http://satellites-xml.org/
    Go into custom and pick the sat you want

Thanks, I had spotted that site but I wonder are some transponders missing?:
    <sat name="Astra 2E/2F/2G (28.2E)" flags="0" position="282">

compare to an older file I have:
    <sat name="Astra 2C/2E/2F/2G/Eutelsat 28A (28.2E)" flags="0" position="282">

Will give it a lash anywho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

I just moved into a place with Sky so I'm selling my Alien 2. Hopefully the mods will let me away with this post because it is the cheapest box on Adverts and I want to help a Boards user out :)

http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/amiko-alien-2-triple-tuner-watch-record-sky-or-saorview-on-one-box/12305093

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Here's a really odd one. While watching terrestrial rte2 hd rugby yesterday, I flicked on a stream on the phone to keep an eye on the Leicester city match, as you do. The RTE image on tv froze, followed by tune failed message. A quick press of the info button showed signal strength had dropped to 36% from 62% which I know is marginal enough to begin with. Cutting the stream restored the TV and signal strength. It's like the terrestrial tuner lose its mojo when I invoke a sat tuner. No issues when watching and streaming 2 sat channels. I could also watch/ stream rte2 simultaneously no problem. It explains why I've lost some terrestrial recordings half way through as I probably streamed a sat channel while the recording was in progress. Can anyone check their info on live viewing rte2 hd terrestrial while streaming a different channel and see if signal level drops?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭wellboss

Hi,

Just looking for some advice, cant find any clear solutions on the net but apologies if it's already been covered.

My cool TV guide was needing an update as I couldnt access my EPG, it was directing me to a website but it doesnt exist any longer. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin and it started letting me back into my epg, i reinstalled crossepg downloader also but now its not populating my epg correctly and when i click on the crossepg downloader plugin directly I get an error
    "Cannot open crossepg database" and then crashes with the green screen
    When i go to system and crossepd -> configuration it doesnt bring up my usb stick, just HDD (even though i dont have a hard disk attached), i know from looking at this previous it usually shows the name of the stick.

Any Idea how to change access to the USB stick when its not in configure. The stick is mounted and I can record to it no problems

Is there an alternative to coolTv as i believe there is no development on this now

Also where do I get the rte player plugin as it also keeps crashing my box, worked fine ages ago so may need an update

Hope somebody can help

wellboss wrote: »
    Hi,

Just looking for some advice, cant find any clear solutions on the net but apologies if it's already been covered.

My cool TV guide was needing an update as I couldnt access my EPG, it was directing me to a website but it doesnt exist any longer. I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin and it started letting me back into my epg, i reinstalled crossepg downloader also but now its not populating my epg correctly and when i click on the crossepg downloader plugin directly I get an error
    "Cannot open crossepg database" and then crashes with the green screen
    When i go to system and crossepd -> configuration it doesnt bring up my usb stick, just HDD (even though i dont have a hard disk attached), i know from looking at this previous it usually shows the name of the stick.

Any Idea how to change access to the USB stick when its not in configure. The stick is mounted and I can record to it no problems

Is there an alternative to coolTv as i believe there is no development on this now

Also where do I get the rte player plugin as it also keeps crashing my box, worked fine ages ago so may need an update

Hope somebody can help
    If you've reinstalled CrossEPG check that your path to your HDD or USB for storage is still correct. In CrossEPG configuration you select the path by putting the cursor over it and pressing left/right arrows. It should cycle between HDD, USB and Flash memory. You may need to turn automount on to make your USB visible. When HDD shows without a disk attached it is usually mounted to the flash memory, not good. Try deleting the mounted HDD. reboot. Remount the USB if it doesn't show automatically from a reboot.
    Read back further here a few weeks (or search) to get the fixed version of RTEPlayer and how to pop it in.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    If you've reinstalled CrossEPG check that your path to your HDD or USB for storage is still correct. In CrossEPG configuration you select the path by putting the cursor over it and pressing left/right arrows. It should cycle between HDD, USB and Flash memory. You may need to turn automount on to make your USB visible. When HDD shows without a disk attached it is usually mounted to the flash memory, not good. Try deleting the mounted HDD. reboot. Remount the USB if it doesn't show automatically from a reboot.
    Read back further here a few weeks (or search) to get the fixed version of RTEPlayer and how to pop it in.

Thanks, will do that. At present its just HDD and Flash options so will have a go

Cheers

I have done that and it's now linked to the USB as previous and now it opens the downloader at the bottom of the screen, says starting downloader for about 20 sec, then saving data and converting data. Great i thought but then there is no data in my EPG fields

Any idea what could be causing it not to load?

I have done that and it's now linked to the USB as previous and now it opens the downloader at the bottom of the screen, says starting downloader for about 20 sec, then saving data and converting data. Great i thought but then there is no data in my EPG fields

Any idea what could be causing it not to load?

Have you the right source of epg data selected? open Tv providers/ Sky open Astra 28.2 ?

Have you the right source of epg data selected? open Tv providers/ Sky open Astra 28.2 ?

Yup I have it enabled and even tried downloading direct from "Open Tv Providers" and when i go to "Info about database" it has channel count 0 and no info in it

No idea what I am missing.

Saving path to my usb is set up in config menu, I think my sources are correct but it appears not to be downloading anything. The downloader is done very quickly when I try to get info

Also got the RTE sorted, cheers

Yup I have it enabled and even tried downloading direct from "Open Tv Providers" and when i go to "Info about database" it has channel count 0 and no info in it

No idea what I am missing.

Saving path to my usb is set up in config menu, I think my sources are correct but it appears not to be downloading anything. The downloader is done very quickly when I try to get info

Also got the RTE sorted, cheers

After that it can be an issue with feed to the second tuner. Cross uses the 2nd tuner if it's configured to tune in epg TP. If you have only one feed or a faulty feed it can't tune the TP for the data. If you have two cables check your cables individually in tuner one then 2 to see if they are both working. If you have only one make sure tuner c is disabled.

Also check usb to see if it has epg.data file on it. Maybe clear the USB of all data. Re-insert and reboot.

I thought timeshift was part of the image and not a separate plugin
    If what your talking about is permanent timeshift (for rewinding )
    you would enable it in
    setup/system /user interface

It is part of the image on hyper 4.5 that I have and don't remember installing it separate

Yeah permanent timeshift. Checked under setup/system/user interface and everything looks fine(I compared all options here to my other E2 box and everything matches up, timeshift works on the other box). Anywhere else where Permanent timeshift needs to be enabled? Drives are mounted ok as I often record on the box.

Here's a really odd one. While watching terrestrial rte2 hd rugby yesterday, I flicked on a stream on the phone to keep an eye on the Leicester city match, as you do. The RTE image on tv froze, followed by tune failed message. A quick press of the info button showed signal strength had dropped to 36% from 62% which I know is marginal enough to begin with. Cutting the stream restored the TV and signal strength. It's like the terrestrial tuner lose its mojo when I invoke a sat tuner. No issues when watching and streaming 2 sat channels. I could also watch/ stream rte2 simultaneously no problem. It explains why I've lost some terrestrial recordings half way through as I probably streamed a sat channel while the recording was in progress. Can anyone check their info on live viewing rte2 hd terrestrial while streaming a different channel and see if signal level drops?
    Just tried that there now
    Watching RTE2
    Check signal level 99%

stream bbc 1
    Check rte signal again 99% no issues using info button on remote
    using hyperion 4.5 on amiko alien2

Just tried that there now
    Watching RTE2
    Check signal level 99%

stream bbc 1
    Check rte signal again 99% no issues using info button on remote
    using hyperion 4.5 on amiko alien2

Thanks. I'll have to put the thinking cap on. Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks. I'll have to put the thinking cap on. Maybe tomorrow.

yep 62% is not great for RTE

Also by any chance were you using mobile data on your phone to stream or were you on your wifi

as could it be poss 4g interference from the phone

• Advertisement

yep 62% is not great for RTE

Also by any chance were you using mobile data on your phone to stream or were you on your wifi

as could it be poss 4g interference from the phone

WiFi, but you have a point. Terrestrial signal is not great, I need a better antenna on the roof, plus it feeds an old edision 2 in 1 in another room first, with the loop from that going into the enigma box. There could be rogue signals or voltages on the cable causing a problem. I recently connected the loose cables to nice wall boxes with sat and rf sockets. There might be something up in there. Lnb signal leak to the terrestrial rf line.

Yep you could always try it with the edission on or off
    See if you can reproduce it
    as the edission should amplify the signal if its switched on

After that it can be an issue with feed to the second tuner. Cross uses the 2nd tuner if it's configured to tune in epg TP. If you have only one feed or a faulty feed it can't tune the TP for the data. If you have two cables check your cables individually in tuner one then 2 to see if they are both working. If you have only one make sure tuner c is disabled.

Spot on, thanks a million, it was driving me crazy and I wouldnt have thought of that. I have my second cable going to a different box so only one sat tuner in use.

Now to figure out the timeshift/Pause/rewind live TV. Im sure i'll be back with more questions

Thanks again

Yep you could always try it with the edission on or off
    See if you can reproduce it
    as the edission should amplify the signal if its switched on

I'm guessing my signal is right on the digital cliff. I sometimes have to wiggle the edision rf cables to squeeze an extra db and stop the enigma box breaking up on terrestrial. The edision gets the first bite of the cherry and that can't change as it's her telly. It's not like the analogue days when you could watch progressive worsening of a signal. Whatever element of noise or bias or voltages change that activating a sat tuner causes it's enough to cause complete failure of the demux of the channel, the signal meter readings are probably meaningless at that point. Splitting the cable via a wall box terminal maybe lost a couple more db of critical signal. I'll invest in a decent 13 plus element yagi aerial, dump the ancient wideband panel uhf I've had since Adam was a boy. Onwards and up(on the roof)wards

Yeah permanent timeshift. Checked under setup/system/user interface and everything looks fine(I compared all options here to my other E2 box and everything matches up, timeshift works on the other box). Anywhere else where Permanent timeshift needs to be enabled? Drives are mounted ok as I often record on the box.

Any ideas here folks as to where I can verify permanent timeshift is enabled? Doesn't seem to kick in at all or when I changed channel. Does anyone know where the permanent timeshift files are stored actually? I can compare to my other box.

Any ideas here folks as to where I can verify permanent timeshift is enabled? Doesn't seem to kick in at all or when I changed channel. Does anyone know where the permanent timeshift files are stored actually? I can compare to my other box.

Did you check setup/system/hard disc/ recording paths to make sure time shift is recording to HDD.

Did you check setup/system/hard disc/ recording paths to make sure time shift is recording to HDD.

Bingo.....not for the first time, thank you sir

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭topper1978

There is probably a really simple solution to this but I cant for the love of god find it. I've set up Hyperion 5.5 and when I fast forward a recording it fasts forward but the speed is not showing up. On my previous images when I fast forwarded two little arrows and "× 2/4/6/etc" would show up on the screen to let you know how fast you were scanning back or forth. Does anyone know where to turn this on? Or is there a plugin or extension that is needed to turn this on? I searched t'internet a good bit but cant find anything. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

On my channel listings there is still references to channels from Christmas ie. Now Xmas and the like, Xmas G*** and such

All channels appear to be there and working, I'm just wondering have I to change a setting in ABM to get these to update the names or what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭topper1978

Zardoz wrote: »
    So far I'm not overly impressed with 5.5.
    I haven't been watching much tv lately though .

I thought 5.5 would have less memory use but it doesn't seem to .
    RTE player does not work on it and zap history browser doesn't seem to be compatible either.
    I had an issue with the front display stuck on boot after I installed the vfd fix but that seems to be resolved now.

I'm not really seeing any performance improvement over 4.5 so far and Hyperion havent even included basic things like the service named picon renderer fix or amixer audio boost .I had to add alot of these fixes in manually.
    Id hold off on upgrading to 5.5 until I can overcome a few issues with it.

Have you noticed on recordings when scan forward it doesn't show you the speed, or is that just me?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement