Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭yellowbear

Do a service search to get your channels back.
    Setup Autobouquets to do a daily refresh

Ive tried the service search twice and it didnt work.
    Its strange because I have some channels and not all of them. Some FTA and some "others" are affected and some arent. I've ran autobouquets a few times as well nothing seems to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

yellowbear wrote: »
    Ive tried the service search twice and it didnt work.
    Its strange because I have some channels and not all of them. Some FTA and some "others" are affected and some arent. I've ran autobouquets a few times as well nothing seems to be working.

If the LNB is not switching either band or polarity, you will be missing up to half the channels. Check cable connector at rear of box. Check a sample of received channels, use info to see their frequency and polarity, this will indicate if they are all H or V polarity, or else all above or below the 11.7 Ghz band split. If you see either pattern, then your lnb is faulty or your box signalling up the cable is amiss. Check received signal level also, your dish may be misaligned causing the loss of some but not all TPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

deezell wrote: »
    If the LNB is not switching either band or polarity, you will be missing up to half the channels. Check cable connector at rear of box. Check a sample of received channels, use info to see their frequency and polarity, this will indicate if they are all H or V polarity, or else all above or below the 11.7 Ghz band split. If you see either pattern, then your lnb is faulty or your box signalling up the cable is amiss. Check received signal level also, your dish may be misaligned causing the loss of some but not all TPS.
    You can also try the spare sat tuner on your box or borrow a known working box from a friend to confirm if the dish/cabling end of things is working.

You can also try the spare sat tuner on your box or borrow a known working box from a friend to confirm if the dish/cabling end of things is working.

Good advice. try the following four TPs in a manual scan, with clear before scan Check the bouquet "last scanned" after each. Two each of H and V, upper and lower band. You can assess if polarity or band switching is missing from this simple test. There are FTA channels on each TP to assist.

In the lower band
    10758 V 22000 (ITV1-4 variations)
    10773 H 22000 (BBC1-4 variations)

In the upper band
    12207 V 27500 (Sky News, Pick, Sky sports sd (encrypted))
    12304 H 27500 (Keranng, Kiss, The Box.)

topper1978 wrote: »
    Would anybody know how to get crond to run at start up? Linux forums say to use the init.d but this doesn't seem to work. Using Deezell's tutorial I can set up and schedule a cron job but when the box switches off and turns back on crond doesn't seem to run from boot. I'm using Hyperion 5.5 but as Deezell's guide was for Hyperion 4.5 I'm guessing the solution is similiar if not identical.

I read somewhere that if the HDD with the scripts is not mounted before the crond daemon is loaded it may fail to load the crontabs. is your script path to the HDD? maybe move them to flash memory. I notice that the openVIX image has a crond manager/pligin as part of its system. I presume this may also be on the VIX4 project image which is available for the Amiko. This might be a better option if you must have cron jobs, a nice interface to set the timers and tasks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭topper1978

I read somewhere that if the HDD with the scripts is not mounted before the crond daemon is loaded it may fail to load the crontabs. is your script path to the HDD? maybe move them to flash memory. I notice that the openVIX image has a crond manager/pligin as part of its system. I presume this may also be on the VIX4 project image which is available for the Amiko. This might be a better option if you must have cron jobs, a nice interface to set the timers and tasks

Thanks for responding. In the end I gave up. I had a script I wanted to periodically run but it is not that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭taytobreath

IPTV player is in the list of available plugins on my box, running hyperion 4.5, listed as IPTVPlayer_(New 1470) and also as IPTVPlayer_DEV (new 1470). I previously deleted it as it didn't seem to do much. None of the links went anywhere.

hey thanks for that, i have the latest iptv plugin and it works fine on my own box. ts media was a disaster all i had to do was hover over the play button and it would green screen me

hey thanks for that, i have the latest iptv plugin and it works fine on my own box. ts media was a disaster all i had to do was hover over the play button and it would green screen me

Out of curiosity I installed that new plugin. Long but successful install. Lots of iptv feeds to choose from, mostly Polish and russian. Many go nowhere, and some ( livetv) produce an " unknow error 538..... etc". On the ones that worked, a movie channel with obscure titles ( e.g, A date for mad Mary, 2016 Irish film I'd never heard of) picture quality was poor and motion artefacts plenty. I can't say if it's the box or the feeds that's at fault, but as quite a few decoders downloaded id say a lot of what's happening is software based, and that processor is just not up to the job, unless the stream is a directly compatible with the box chip. Probably compares to rteplayer quality, but I couldn't sit through a movie with that level of degraded image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I'm looking for the e2upgrade plugin. I have one that only does install, I'm looking for the one that does both upgrade and backup. Anyone have a link?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

its in my dropbox in plugins if you install it

• Advertisement

Nowso wrote: »
    its in my dropbox in plugins if you install it

Can i get a link please mate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭championc

Step 1 of Post #2 of this thread :)

championc wrote: »
    Step 1 of Post #2 of this thread :)

Good man

Is there a fix for Dolby digital in Vix4. All I can seem to get is PCM. Will the audio.elf for other images work?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Trying to upgrade my alien 2 box from vix 2.0 to latest 2.2, boot into spark as normal and use e2upgrade plugin, when I boot back into enigma, of eventually goes to 100% but boot screen just flashes and eventually goes blank,
    I can flash an old backup no problem, just not any vix from their site.

Anyone see this before

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

darth_maul wrote: »
    Trying to upgrade my alien 2 box from vix 2.0 to latest 2.2, boot into spark as normal and use e2upgrade plugin, when I boot back into enigma, of eventually goes to 100% but boot screen just flashes and eventually goes blank,
    I can flash an old backup no problem, just not any vix from their site.

Anyone see this before

OK so it boots when I remove my hard drive. Hmmm

Is there a fix for Dolby digital in Vix4. All I can seem to get is PCM. Will the audio.elf for other images work?

Press red button usually to select between ac3 and pcm. On HD channels only afaik.

Press red button usually to select between ac3 and pcm. On HD channels only afaik.

F1 brings up the select audio track menu but I only have options for mpeg. Do the SD channels not have Ac3?

F1 brings up the select audio track menu but I only have options for mpeg. Do the SD channels not have Ac3?
    No

• Registered Users Posts: 23 noleybaby

Is anyone using the Alien 2 with Sat & Cable ? What image would you recommend ?

• Advertisement

noleybaby wrote: »
    Is anyone using the Alien 2 with Sat & Cable ? What image would you recommend ?

There are many images available for the box Open Atv, Hyperion, Vix4E2 and more if you look. A lot people try a few different images before the settle on a preffered one. Different images have varying degrees of functionality and stability. Newer releases tend to be less buggy e. g. Hyperion 4.5 is more stable than Hyperion 1. The newest releases may not have all the bugs worked out yet - Hyperion 5.5. If I had to recommend one maybe Hyperion 4.5 is a good place to start.

topper1978 wrote: »
    There are many images available for the box Open Atv, Hyperion, Vix4E2 and more if you look. A lot people try a few different images before the settle on a preffered one. Different images have varying degrees of functionality and stability. Newer releases tend to be less buggy e. g. Hyperion 4.5 is more stable than Hyperion 1. The newest releases may not have all the bugs worked out yet - Hyperion 5.5. If I had to recommend one maybe Hyperion 4.5 is a good place to start.

Forgot to say read the description of the image in the Firmware thread. This will give you a good idea of what the images are set up for.

Good advice. try the following four TPs in a manual scan, with clear before scan Check the bouquet "last scanned" after each. Two each of H and V, upper and lower band. You can assess if polarity or band switching is missing from this simple test. There are FTA channels on each TP to assist.

In the lower band
    10758 V 22000 (ITV1-4 variations)
    10773 H 22000 (BBC1-4 variations)

In the upper band
    12207 V 27500 (Sky News, Pick, Sky sports sd (encrypted))
    12304 H 27500 (Keranng, Kiss, The Box.)
    Hi , Im having the exact same problems as that poster, i did that test ^^^ and im getting no channels from 10773 H 22000 (BBC1-4 variations), could u explain to me what this means, thanks in adavnce

Hi , Im having the exact same problems as that poster, i did that test ^^^ and im getting no channels from 10773 H 22000 (BBC1-4 variations), could u explain to me what this means, thanks in adavnce

It's just a test for reception on the 4 quadrants of the astra satellite. Two horizontally polarised and 2 vertically polarised transponders from the lower and higher frequency bands. If you can't tune the H channels it means the LNB is not switching polarity. If you only get the lower or higher frequency pair the the LNB is not switching band. If your dish is misaligned, you may get odd results that don't tally with this test. If you're just missing that TP's channels but not the other three then it sounds more like dish misalignment, possibly rotation of the LNB needed to get more accurate polarity matching. Check out all the 28.2 channel frequency and polarities here to see which ones you're missing, and try a manual scan on them
    http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

scratch all that, i seem to be missing random channels

ok, i narrowed it down, im missing all the Horizontal channels at 22000 5/6

22000 is the baud or symbol rate, don't worry about it, it just needs to be set correctly for each TP when manual scanning. The bigger number is the tp frequency, eg 10778 MHz. The Foward error correction, FEC, ( The 5/6 figure) is set automatically by modern tuners. If you have established that all your missing channels are horizontal, then you should check the voltage leaving the tuner up the Cable to the LNB. It should switch from 13 to 18 volts when changing from V to H TPs. You'll need a multimeter for this, and a bit of wire into the centre hole of the tuner F connector, having uncoupled the cable. If the tuner is giving out the correct voltage, then suspect a faulty LNB, or a possible poor or corroded connection at the LNB. If you have spare outputs on the LNB swap to them and test.

scratch all that, i seem to be missing random channels

That can be caused by incorrect tuning info in an old satellites.xml file. If manual scanning doesn't bring back the missing ones then check the signal level using the info button. If the signals level is in the low 60% then you may have a misaligned dish, damaged or poor connectors/ cable. Marginal signal levels will cause random sat channels to tune fail.

22000 is the baud or symbol rate, don't worry about it, it just needs to be set correctly for each TP when manual scanning. The bigger number is the tp frequency, eg 10778 MHz. The Foward error correction, FEC, ( The 5/6 figure) is set automatically by modern tuners. If you have established that all your missing channels are horizontal, then you should check the voltage leaving the tuner up the Cable to the LNB. It should switch from 13 to 18 volts when changing from V to H TPs. You'll need a multimeter for this, and a bit of wire into the centre hole of the tuner F connector, having uncoupled the cable. If the tuner is giving out the correct voltage, then suspect a faulty LNB, or a possible poor or corroded connection at the LNB. If you have spare outputs on the LNB swap to them and test.

i have H and V channels. it seems to be random, i took out the 2 coax cables last week and put them into another box it was when i did that the problems occured

That can be caused by incorrect tuning info in an old satellites.xml file. If manual scanning doesn't bring back the missing ones then check the signal level using the info button. If the signals level is in the low 60% then you may have a misaligned dish, damaged or poor connectors/ cable. Marginal signal levels will cause random sat channels to tune fail.

thanks for your help, i tried that and im getting about mid 70's on both tuners. i did the manual scan and the mmissing channels dont show up

• Advertisement

i have H and V channels. it seems to be random, i took out the 2 coax cables last week and put them into another box it was when i did that the problems occured

Try swapping them around. One might be poor but went undetected if it was going to the second tuner, but is now going to the main tuner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement