Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Mayo Yid wrote: »
    How do I create and enable a swap file on openatv, hunting through the menus but cannot find

Menu - info panel - plugins - swap manager

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thunda

hallo dare wrote: »
    If that's all your missing then manually scan it and add it into your bouquet of choice. You'll get the frequency on Google

sounds good but I have no idea how to manually scan for just 1 channel

thunda wrote: »
    sounds good but I have no idea how to manually scan for just 1 channel

Here's how to get it, when watching TV press down, press yellow for provider, find bskyb and inside it you should find BBC Scotland, highlight the channel and press menu and select add service to bouquet. Then select the bouquet you want it in. Then to move it around in the bouquet enable move mode in the menu button while in the bouquet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Menu - info panel - plugins - swap manager

Yeah anyone who installs this openatv image should delete their old swapfile in /media/hdd and create new, it solves a lot of issues and makes it snappier.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 thunda

About to give up on this, I get the message saying it cant hardlink for timeshift and could be that my filesystem is not formatted to ext2 or ext3. I formatted my drive in spark to ext3 but when it shows up in enigma mount manager it seems to say ext4 ?

• Advertisement

With openatv I keep having to flick the power switch to get the satellite tuners back working, a reboot from the menus does not bring them back. Seems to happen every few hours which is annoying for timers. Missus not happy so think I'll be restoring my Hyperion backup although other than this issue it seems to be good enough as a daily runner

With openatv I keep having to flick the power switch to get the satellite tuners back working, a reboot from the menus does not bring them back. Seems to happen every few hours which is annoying for timers. Missus not happy so think I'll be restoring my Hyperion backup although other than this issue it seems to be good enough as a daily runner

Have you one or two sat feeds going to the box?

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Have you one or two sat feeds going to the box?

Two. Both tuners seem to die when this happens as I cannot stream either

Two. Both tuners seem to die when this happens as I cannot stream either

Had that problem on vix4sh4 but hadn't seen it on openatv. Hopefully they get a fix for it soon so.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

I've been using Hyperion V4 for a good while now, but unfortunately the box was beginning to slow down. I reverted back to Spark just to let the dust settle (my wife). I have to say I think that the Spark picture quality is better than Hyperion and my son thought it was better as well!

Anybody agree?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

cyndale wrote: »
    I've been using Hyperion V4 for a good while now, but unfortunately the box was beginning to slow down. I reverted back to Spark just to let the dust settle (my wife). I have to say I think that the Spark picture quality is better than Hyperion and my son thought it was better as well!

It goes without saying that the picture quality is better, it's just a pity that Spark is dirt!!!

The latest openATV has pretty good picture quality to be fair.

It goes without saying that the picture quality is better, it's just a pity that Spark is dirt!!!

The latest openATV has pretty good picture quality to be fair.

It's an awful shame that somebody hasn't come up with an image as consistent and reliable as Spark (which is as you say dirt, actually muck!).:(

It's an awful shame that somebody hasn't come up with an image as consistent and reliable as Spark (which is as you say dirt, actually muck!).:(

Throw on openatv and have a look at it.

Throw on openatv and have a look at it.

Where's the link for the best version?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I have to say I think that the Spark picture quality is better than Hyperion and my son thought it was better as well!

Initially I thought that too but its actually not the case.

The picture is just as good in E2 as Spark if you tweak the picture settings on your tv.
    After alot of tinkering I increased the gamma settings on my set,boosted the contrast ,lowered the brightness slightly and did a few other adjustments and the picture is now superb (on a high end plasma)

The Hyperion 4 picture settings out of the box are poor ,they are too dark and look soft but when adjusted the picture is sweet.

Zardoz wrote: »
    Initially I thought that too but its actually not the case.

The picture is just as good in E2 as Spark if you tweak the picture settings on your tv.
    After alot of tinkering I increased the gamma settings on my set,boosted the contrast ,lowered the brightness slightly and did a few other adjustments and the picture is now superb (on a high end plasma)

The Hyperion 4 picture settings out of the box are poor ,they are too dark and look soft but when adjusted the picture is sweet.

I using Full HD Panasonic Plasma as well, I was really pleased with the Hyperion V4 picture quality (after a lot of tweaking), it was only when I went to Spark (temporarily) that I felt it was better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

agree i use the recordings for my youtube so spark is perfect

spark can be made a bit better once your use to it cant remember when i booted to enigma last might do it one day when im bored

Nowso wrote: »
    agree i use the recordings for my youtube so spark is perfect

spark can be made a bit better once your use to it cant remember when i booted to enigma last might do it one day when im bored

Vice versa

I using Full HD Panasonic Plasma as well, I was really pleased with the Hyperion V4 picture quality (after a lot of tweaking), it was only when I went to Spark (temporarily) that I felt it was better.

In what ways did you think the picture was better exactly ?
    Better on sd or hd or both ?
    Sharper picture ,less noise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭FlexMcMurphy

I've been using PKT 2 for the last year and I finally installed PKT 4 this weekend. When I went in to Spark to make a backup I was surprised at how much better the picture was. I've a mid-range 40" Sony HD LCD. The picture is way clearer in Spark and the colours are richer and brighter. I've never tried to tweak the picture though so I suppose I'll give that a go and see does it improve things under PKT 4.

Flex

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Does the box slow right down for anyone else using fresh pots open atv image when on terrestrial channels? Changing channel, going into menus etc.
    Flies along otherwise!

zefer wrote: »
    Does the box slow right down for anyone else using fresh pots open atv image when on terrestrial channels? Changing channel, going into menus etc.
    Flies along otherwise!

Yes but in fairness it does that on all images

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

Flies along otherwise!

Installing the default ATV skin improves this vastly. (i am assuming the backup image does not have default skin installed)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Yes but in fairness it does that on all images

Not to the extent I'm talking about. My hyp4 image didn't slow the box in any noticeable way when on terrestrial channels. I'll try change the skin and see how it is

Not to the extent I'm talking about. My hyp4 image didn't slow the box in any noticeable way when on terrestrial channels. I'll try change the skin and see how it is

In using the mymetrix skin, not the horrible sky one, doesn't seem as laggy

I've seen this problem on openatv images and openarp ones too. It doesn't seem to be down to ram usage. It seems to be a signal/interference/power issue of some sort. Reason being is I had two boxes both flashed with the same image. In one room the box works perfectly and in the other room it will slow down on saorview. If I swap the boxes over the working one slows down and the slow one will be working fine in the other room. Gave up trying to figure out the problem though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Does anybody get this particular issue (using Hyperion 4). I record a programme (can be a $ channel or a free channel) and maybe halfway through the recording the picture freezes and the only way I can continue watching is to hit pause, then play, then the number 3 on the remote (to fast forward by 15 seconds.

While it is not very annoying for me it is starting to p**s my partner off. It happened 3 times last night during an hour long program I recorded from BBC2. I use a 1TB Samsung Hard Drive.

gazzer wrote: »
    Does anybody get this particular issue (using Hyperion 4). I record a programme (can be a $ channel or a free channel) and maybe halfway through the recording the picture freezes and the only way I can continue watching is to hit pause, then play, then the number 3 on the remote (to fast forward by 15 seconds.

While it is not very annoying for me it is starting to p**s my partner off. It happened 3 times last night during an hour long program I recorded from BBC2. I use a 1TB Samsung Hard Drive.

Yes ,I have that long standing issue on my receiver,I mentioned it on the old thread yonks ago.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87506872&postcount=3526
    I have tried 3 different hard drives ,both mains powered and usb powered and the issue is present on all .
    I also had the problem on HDMU ,Ar-P and Hyperion.

It doesnt happen as much since I disabled the hard drive going into standby but it still occurs and is my main gripe with the receiver.
    I tried numerous changes but couldnt resolve the issue ,I think it was least noticeable in HDMU when I had no swap file but that image had other recording bugs.

I guess you could program the 3 button to go forward 1 second ,that may help for the time being.
    Some people say the Samsung M3 drive works well but seeing that you are using a Samsung drive that may not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

sorry guys but where is the best site to buy this box off

• Advertisement

sorry guys but where is the best site to buy this box off

This seems to be the cheapest place ,149 euro delivered
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171136350524?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Its the Sab Triple ,but its the same hardware as the Alien 2 and the Golden Media Triplex.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement