Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

how.gareth wrote: »
    cheers that all went ok, i still cant see the drive tho, anything else i need to do?

also, I had issues with samba when using it on hyperion v4, and v3. as it turned out, it was down to the skin (also problems accessing network settings from the main menu. would always green screen. same with v4.5).
    Perhaps try a different skin, just to rule that out. and since you could see the box in previous skins, its unlikely to be a security issue on you pc/firewall (or has anything changed recently?) and after that, just to recheck all ip addresses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

i tried a different skin and no joy, i can connect no prob via dcc. if i go into menu on the box, then network, browse network neighbourhood i can see my pc . do i need to mount that or something, samba is telling me everything is running ok

i tried a different skin and no joy, i can connect no prob via dcc. if i go into menu on the box, then network, browse network neighbourhood i can see my pc . do i need to mount that or something, samba is telling me everything is running ok

apart from refreshing your network, and checking that you have your pc network as your home network and not public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Have you set share 1 to hdd in the smb server menu?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

Where can I download skins from?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

cyndale wrote: »
    what is the best skin

menu-plugins

then choose plugin download (often by pressing the green button, depending on image)
    then scroll down and expand the "skin" option. once you download what you want, then menu-setup-skin. select one of your downloaded , and reboot. can be a bit of try and see what you like.

and there are other skins on various forums around the place, which may be of interest.

what is the best skin

each to their own. very few cause serious issues. try a few and see

(sounded a little harsh, what i mean, is, that different skins bring a different look to your set up. they all do the same , more or less. very few cause any serious problems, so, mainly it comes down to personal preference. eg, you may like the sky look skin, or perfer one of the pli based skins, or a more customisable skin like the metrix one. Having said that, some do have some lagginess, or dont handle certain requests, which can depend on which version of the AA2 box you have. So it can be a case of have a try and see. You can easily revert back to a skin you like.)

Slevster wrote: »
    menu-plugins

then choose plugin download (often by pressing the green button, depending on image)
    then scroll down and expand the "skin" option. once you download what you want, then menu-setup-skin. select one of your downloaded , and reboot. can be a bit of try and see what you like.

and there are other skins on various forums around the place, which may be of interest.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was enquiring about where to get skins from the internet!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was enquiring about where to get skins from the internet!:P

Don't, you'll have no idea if they'll be compatible, the ones in the repo are

• Advertisement

Don't, you'll have no idea if they'll be compatible, the ones in the repo are

thats not in the spirit of adventure ! how will we know if no one tries!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

thats not in the spirit of adventure ! how will we know if no one tries!

It'll end in tears. Be sure you have a backup. Most are made for different versions if enigma on different hardware.

It'll end in tears. Be sure you have a backup. Most are made for different versions if enigma on different hardware.

very true. but don't let that stop you young Cyndale. seek them out and report back.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

Ronan.om wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm new to all this freesat world so forgive the idiotic questions.

I'm running the Enigma 2 on my Amiko alien 2. Any time I switch on and off the box it boots in E2 but finishes with the Amiko sunrise homepage with the audio of the channel running in the background. I can hear the channel (in this instance UCB TV) and while i can change the channels using the buttons on the box the remote is not connecting.

I've tried the reboot via spark but the OS says that it can't find the image. It will boot in enigma but again no picture just the sunrise.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Rónán
    If you are unable to boot back to spark and your current image is corrupt and not responding to the remote
    I would say you need to reload spark
    http://amikostb.com/downloads/Spark_Recovery.pdf

However before you do that
    Are you absolutley sure spark is not working
    Switch off the box at the rear rocker switch
    Hold in the ok button
    switch back on the switch at the rear
    Keep holding the ok button until you see forc
    Release ok
    Press up button till it says spark
    Press ok

Wait about 3 mins
    see if it loads then returns to standby

Press power on remote
    Remember these remotes are not great an you really need to be pointing it at the box
    I ask this as I have only ever seen a message about not find an image when trying to load e2 from usb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

very true. but don't let that stop you young Cyndale. seek them out and report back.....

Agree with you mate if people don't try new things you get nowhere in life :) I'm self employed because I started messing around with computers and laptops I am now certified and have my own little shop. So try all you want just backup everything.

I hear you, I had a skin on a previous image (Hyperion V4), it was PKT Gold, I have PKT Red, and PKT Silver. I liked the look of the PKT Gold

jayo26 wrote: »
    Agree with you mate if people don't try new things you get nowhere in life :) I'm self employed because I started messing around with computers and laptops I am now certified and have my own little shop. So try all you want just backup everything.

There you go- Life lessons . This box just gives and gives.

fair play Jayo. no small thing starting a business. continued success to you.

I hear you, I had a skin on a previous image (Hyperion V4), it was PKT Gold, I have PKT Red, and PKT Silver. I liked the look of the PKT Gold

PLi-HD-mod-marcino man myself. Tried lots, but keep returning. (alot to do with familiarity and continuity for sake of peace in the household, , if you know what i mean,and its clean simple and clear.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

anyone know if hyperion 4.5 will come out for alien 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Have you set share 1 to hdd in the smb server menu?

Yep everything that should be done is done I think, I used dcc to ftp the picons across so that's another new thing learned! I get the feeling people just ftp files across? For example if I download a film off piratebay I used to send the file manually from my pc to the box hard drive but is it better to ftp it instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 soberasajudge

Hi All,
    I got my Alien so I could finally get rid of SKY and am almost there. I have cross epg up and running, picons are all on show where I want them. The final piece of the puzzle I need to convince she who must be obeyed to lose the SKY HD box is the recordings. I've read some issues here about needing plenty of cache space for this to work properly. I'm running FreshPots version of Hv4.5, (Thanks!), and am really impressed with it, compared to OpenAtv. Today I tried to record from the saorview tuner while watching a sat channel. I got the message that a recording was about to start and within 5 seconds the sat channel froze and I had to power cycle the box to get a response and delete the recording.I believe my problem is that I'm hovering around 16% free cache all of the time. I've deleted what plugins that I can but cannot seem to gain more space. Am I right in thinking that the Blue Panel contains a load of plugins that I don't need? If so, can anyone help me get rid of them or find some other way of clearing the cache please?

PS, this thread is excellent!

Yep everything that should be done is done I think, I used dcc to ftp the picons across so that's another new thing learned! I get the feeling people just ftp files across? For example if I download a film off piratebay I used to send the file manually from my pc to the box hard drive but is it better to ftp it instead?

No difference really. Both should work the same.

Hi All,
    I got my Alien so I could finally get rid of SKY and am almost there. I have cross epg up and running, picons are all on show where I want them. The final piece of the puzzle I need to convince she who must be obeyed to lose the SKY HD box is the recordings. I've read some issues here about needing plenty of cache space for this to work properly. I'm running FreshPots version of Hv4.5, (Thanks!), and am really impressed with it, compared to OpenAtv. Today I tried to record from the saorview tuner while watching a sat channel. I got the message that a recording was about to start and within 5 seconds the sat channel froze and I had to power cycle the box to get a response and delete the recording.I believe my problem is that I'm hovering around 16% free cache all of the time. I've deleted what plugins that I can but cannot seem to gain more space. Am I right in thinking that the Blue Panel contains a load of plugins that I don't need? If so, can anyone help me get rid of them or find some other way of clearing the cache please?

Sounds like the box is running out of space/memory. Have you got a external hard drive connected and mounted properly in the blue panel? You shouldn't need to delete anything to have a working image. Over 300 people have downloaded this image so far and you're the first to mention this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mrbloop

Hi All,

Hi soberasajudge. That sounds like you are not recording to a usb connected harddrive. Do you have one connected. Is is formatted to EXT3 or EXT4?
    The guys might correct me on this, but I don't think your cache size should really have this kind of impact.

Hi FreshPots,
    Firstly, I love the image and am sure its my bad that I have no cache space, not yours. Yes I have the hdd connected, have the crossepg pointed there and have the picons you posted also stored there. I used DCC to empty the/enigma2/picon folder as well. Is there any way of giving the box a "good clean" and reloading your image again?
    Thanks again.

Also have the hdd formatted to ext3 and have the recording pointed there too

Hi FreshPots,
    Firstly, I love the image and am sure its my bad that I have no cache space, not yours. Yes I have the hdd connected, have the crossepg pointed there and have the picons you posted also stored there. I used DCC to empty the/enigma2/picon folder as well. Is there any way of giving the box a "good clean" and reloading your image again?
    Thanks again.
    Bar reloading the image again there isn't any way really. Having around 15-9% free cache space is perfectly normal so that wouldn't be causing it. Have you swap activated? You'll find it in the bluepanel in the disk section.

Just checked there, swap is active. Dunno if it matters but it was RTE2HD I was recording while watching an SD sat channel?

Just checked there, swap is active. Dunno if it matters but it was RTE2HD I was recording while watching an SD sat channel?

That shouldn't make any difference, could maybe try another harddrive or flash drive to rule that out. Have you 1 or 2 sat feeds connected to the box?

• Advertisement

I've only one sat and saorview connected. An update, I just went to TV3 on saorview there, pressed the record button and navigated to a sat channel. Running sound now? I'll try another timer in a bit and let ye know how it goes.
    Cheers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement