Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

jayo26 wrote: »
    Hey mate freshpots 4.5 image is setup pretty well and is very reliable

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Been playing around with mine today, clearly too much! Can boot into spark but enigma2 gets stuck at boot. I've flashed various different images including a backup of what was working before and it's still doing it.

What can I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Slevster

superg wrote: »
    Been playing around with mine today, clearly too much! Can boot into spark but enigma2 gets stuck at boot. I've flashed various different images including a backup of what was working before and it's still doing it.

What can I do?

How are you flashing the images?

(If it is not working for you one way, try another. Ie, if you are flashing by the spark plugin method without success, then use the back port and force method. Some of the good folk on here have described the various methods in detail in this thread)

Personally I prefer the back port and force method, as you can see if things are working. ( images failed to flash for me once or twice using the spark plugins .down to me, not the plugin) Takes about 10minutes to flash this way .
    And the usual, check that you have the 2 files required( and only the 2), in correct folder on your USB . And that your USB is readable by the box etc

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

hi people ive being given an amiko alien2 box. I have no IT knowledge and basic understanding of what it does and was wondering will it work in my house if I just plug it in or do I need to re flash it with the up to date image to get it working, or will re flashing it make it useless. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

MorganIRL wrote: »
    hi people ive being given an amiko alien2 box. I have no IT knowledge and basic understanding of what it does and was wondering will it work in my house if I just plug it in or do I need to re flash it with the up to date image to get it working, or will re flashing it make it useless. thanks
    Plug it in and see how it works now. It may be perfectly OK. Once you get used to it, you could consider re-flashing if it needs an update.
    Basically if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

• Advertisement

Slevster wrote: »
    How are you flashing the images?

(If it is not working for you one way, try another. Ie, if you are flashing by the spark plugin method without success, then use the back port and force method. Some of the good folk on here have described the various methods in detail in this thread)

Personally I prefer the back port and force method, as you can see if things are working. ( images failed to flash for me once or twice using the spark plugins .down to me, not the plugin) Takes about 10minutes to flash this way .
    And the usual, check that you have the 2 files required( and only the 2), in correct folder on your USB . And that your USB is readable by the box etc

Hmmm I wasn't even aware of different ports! I followed the second post in this thread, no mention of ports there so I used the one at the back and upgraded via the spark plugin. Everything completes successfully in a couple of minutes. It's when I turn off the box and go to boot into Enigma the box just says boot on the screen and stays like that. The timer ticks away beside it. I waited for 12 minutes yesterday and still nothing. When they loaded enigma in the shop it booted in a couple of minutes.

This thread is 171 pages long so if there's other methods I hope the search button works well! :D

EDIT:-it does work well! http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=91486210&postcount=244

Ok so that method worked. Took a good ten minutes but I'm back in action.

Ok so that method worked. Took a good ten minutes but I'm back in action.

There you go. Another part of the learning curve scaled!

There you go. Another part of the learning curve scaled!

Indeed! Thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

is there anyway to stop tsmedia movies to stop skipping on 1channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Imstuck wrote: »
    Yeah I read what I have to do, set static ip on laptop and box connecting them together with Ethernet.
    What next though?

Well you wanted to connect to your box. Now can you ping it ? Can you browse to the WebIf, Can you browse to the Oscam WebIf ? This will prove where the problem lies

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See Post #2 of this thread or the Readme file in the download directory **

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Laptop wouldn't connect this time champs, so a problem within router. Providers say this shouldn't happen so a new router on its way! Thanks for all your help!

Left the box on standby for a while, about 2 hours. Went to use it and it wouldn't switch on using the red button on the remote or any of the buttons on the box. Anyone have this happen before?

Using freshpots image.

EDIT: left it an hour and a half on standby afterwards and tried to wake it and instead of just switching on and letting me watch TV it went into a full boot mode like it would do if the switch at the back had just been switched on. Not wife friendly! I'll have to try another image.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Imstuck wrote: »
    Laptop wouldn't connect this time champs, so a problem within router. Providers say this shouldn't happen so a new router on its way! Thanks for all your help!

no surprise there . had issues with routers last year . got about 4 sent out in a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Left the box on standby for a while, about 2 hours. Went to use it and it wouldn't switch on using the red button on the remote or any of the buttons on the box. Anyone have this happen before?

Using freshpots image.

EDIT: left it an hour and a half on standby afterwards and tried to wake it and instead of just switching on and letting me watch TV it went into a full boot mode like it would do if the switch at the back had just been switched on. Not wife friendly! I'll have to try another image.

Never had any issues like that on freshpots image mate try doing a reflash of the same image maybe might work before you try another one. Are you sure you not putting it into deep standbye?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mrbloop

Hi lads,

was thinking of setting the up the AA2 for the father in law. He has just one terrestial feed and one satellite feed available in that particular room. ( All other sat feeds being used in other rooms).
    If I simply disable one of the sat tuners on the receiver, will Hyperion 4.5 (freshpots back up) run as smooth as it has been with all tuners active?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

mrbloop wrote: »
    Hi lads,

was thinking of setting the up the AA2 for the father in law. He has just one terrestial feed and one satellite feed available in that particular room. ( All other sat feeds being used in other rooms).
    If I simply disable one of the sat tuners on the receiver, will Hyperion 4.5 (freshpots back up) run as smooth as it has been with all tuners active?

Yeah that's the way I have it set up on my box in the bedroom. Works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mrbloop

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Yeah that's the way I have it set up on my box in the bedroom. Works perfectly.

Excellent!
    Thanks mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭techdiver

Hey,

Has any one experience using the wifi dongle like this one - http://www.freetv.ie/amiko-wln-880-wifi-dongle.html .

It's cheaper and neater than running power line adapters with LAN cable.

Does it offer a stable connection?

jayo26 wrote:
    Never had any issues like that on freshpots image mate try doing a reflash of the same image maybe might work before you try another one. Are you sure you not putting it into deep standbye?

Just pressing the red button on the top of remote to put it into standby. I noticed something in the settings about automatic deep standby but I didn't change any settings, it's disabled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Hi all

I successfully set up my Amiko Alien 2+ receiver at the weekend with the OpenATV 4.2 image. I have a couple of questions you may be able to help out with:

1. Is there any way in OpenATV (natively or with plugin) to play video files off an external DLNA source? I have a Raspberry Pi on my network that runs as a DLNA server. In a HDMU image I tested I could do this with the built in media player by selecting "upnp" but I can't see this in OpenATV.

2. Can I install any enigma2 skin on my image? For instance, I have heard PLI-HD is a good skin, would this be compatible with the OpenATV image?

Cheers

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

techdiver wrote: »
    Hey,

Has any one experience using the wifi dongle like this one - http://www.freetv.ie/amiko-wln-880-wifi-dongle.html .

It's cheaper and neater than running power line adapters with LAN cable.

Does it offer a stable connection?

it all depends of the strength of your wifi signal

wifi can be awkward to set up on enigma 2

ive used the other dongles with the aerial but not that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

anyone know if there is a good stable hyperion 4.5 for alien 8900.i know zardoz is working on one i think

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

My first issue with Hyperion V4.5 (Freshpots image). I used to put my box into standby every night, but since I installed V4.5 when I put it into standby overnight, when I come down in the morning the box is turned on again? Strange?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I had this on my Open ATV image. I figured it was turning on when CrossEPG was doing its download at 4 am every morning so I just created a power timer to put box into standby at 4:20 am and its been fine since.

Anyone know if there's a way to set up and edit bouquets on the box itself? I'm on freshpots image. Cheers.

Using freshpots image.

Pressing the standby button 5 times in a short time will"kill"it and force a reboot ( like flicking the switch at the back. Perhaps this happened, due to over egar button pressing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that standby only turns off the video output and front display. In other words the power saving is minimal, 1 watt or such like. Based on that I just leave it on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭tnegun

cyndale wrote: »
    My first issue with Hyperion V4.5 (Freshpots image). I used to put my box into standby every night, but since I installed V4.5 when I put it into standby overnight, when I come down in the morning the box is turned on again? Strange?:eek:

I have this too there's a crash dump generated so I'm guessing Enigma is crashing reloading. I just switch it off now to avoid it switching the tv on and waking the house! I'm not at home now but I think it happens around 4am.

The box can be very sluggish coming out of standby too if left for a few hours almost unusable so I just shut it off if not in use.

• Advertisement

Pressing the standby button 5 times in a short time will"kill"it and force a reboot ( like flicking the switch at the back. Perhaps this happened, due to over egar button pressing

Possible, I pressed it a few times I suppose trying to get it on. It's been fine today though and has been on standby for hours and still worked fine when switched on.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that standby only turns off the video output and front display. In other words the power saving is minimal, 1 watt or such like. Based on that I just leave it on all the time.

Spec's on the box it came in says it uses 0.5w in standby so I'd imagine it uses a good bit more than that when on. Still max consumption is only 20w so nothing to worry about.

As an aside, whats deep standby and should I bother with it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement