Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Technofobe

lensman wrote: »
    I used this 3 step routine in the past, it's on the freetv.ie site.
    1..Boot into Spark & insert usb key, when asked to install plugin click "YES"
    plugin installs (takes 10sec) then box reboots.
    2..When box reboots Im asked to install plugin again but this time I click "NO" & goto MENU/PLUGINS & install plugin_e2upgrade.s (takes about 1min), when complete I power off the box.
    3..Pressing OK I power the box & select ENIG from the boot option & press OK & box should boot fully into enigma2.

freetv.ie have links to the files mentioned above which I managed to install them correctly but I don't like the openARP image they supply but when I replace then with yours the box gets stuck in boot at the 3rd & final step:confused:

this is not the procedure for flashing an image to the box
    what you have described is the procedure for installing the plugin e2 upgrade.s which only needs to be done once
    It then enables you to then flash a new image be it open arp /hyperion4 /openATV

Follow Champs detailed installation instructions in post #2
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057246289
    and everything should work out ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭championc

deezell wrote: »
    Because I don't even have to pause it if it's on time shift, so if dinner runs past 6, just quickly rewind to start, then watch. This has the advantage of being able to jump the ad breaks, so by 7 we've usually caught up just in time for Nationwide (Ugh!, time to go in the other room and fiddle with the Sab). SHMBO likes it this way, the less button presses the better. If I think of it on time I run up and press the pause button at 6, then just hit play after the nosh. If I set it on record don't I have to wait until the recording is over at 7 to play it back? I think that's how it works on the edision, but anyway I don't need to keep it, just have it delayed by 15-30 minutes. At 7 I can watch RTE1+1 anyway. I want to progress from the Edision for the 7 day EPG, the RTE Player, a browser when I can get a plugin, (lot of confusion about this on the blogs), and eventually I want to set up the Oscam, as another of these boxes is going abroad hopefully to allow a family member watch RTE .

Just setup a nightly AutoTimer that will record from 18:00 to 19:00. You do NOT have to wait for the recording to complete in order to start watching it. If you have a 500gb USB HDD, you'll never fill it us and deleting programmes once a week would be more than enough.

Having it recording gives SWMBO the option to even stream it off to a tablet or phone, leaving a TV free for MOTD and the like :)

** The Ideal beginners image - everything you could possibly need all setup and working **
    ** See Post #2 of this thread or the Readme file in the download directory **

Champions OpenAR-P AA2/7162 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/2DuVm0
    Champions OpenAR-P SAB Solo/8900 Image Download Link - http://goo.gl/up5tIu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I used this 3 step routine in the past, it's on the freetv.ie site.
    1..Boot into Spark & insert usb key, when asked to install plugin click "YES"
    plugin installs (takes 10sec) then box reboots.
    2..When box reboots Im asked to install plugin again but this time I click "NO" & goto MENU/PLUGINS & install plugin_e2upgrade.s (takes about 1min), when complete I power off the box.
    3..Pressing OK I power the box & select ENIG from the boot option & press OK & box should boot fully into enigma2.

freetv.ie have links to the files mentioned above which I managed to install them correctly but I don't like the openARP image they supply but when I replace then with yours the box gets stuck in boot at the 3rd & final step:confused:

Ok,you are using the correct procedure allright.
    Are you sure you didnt use my Alien 1 backup instead of Alien 2 perhaps ?
    This is the one you need
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94611179&postcount=2908

3..Pressing OK I power the box & select ENIG from the boot option & press OK & box should boot fully into enigma:confused:
    ?

Technofobe wrote: »
    ?

He installed the Spark plugin in step 1 and is flashing the new image via the Spark plugin in step 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

I found this on a post Zardoz made...

Here's a nice audio fix I came across that increases the audio output of the Alien 2/Triplex in E2.

It uses the alsamixer function to boost the output audio by whatever percentage you wish .

The files contain a modified rcS file (/etc/init.d ) and the amixer file (/usr/bin)

Just ftp the following two folders into your receiver and change the attributes to 755

You can edit the rcS file (Run Control Script) with your own audio boost levels if you wish
    The modified rcS file has 3 lines of additional code

/usr/bin/amixer -c 1 set Analog playback '60%' unmute &
    /usr/bin/amixer -c 1 set SPDIF playback '60%' unmute &
    /usr/bin/amixer -c 1 set HDMI playback '60%' unmute &

The files are for Hyperion but you can edit the rcS file in other images too ,just add the extra 3 lines manually.

With this fix the audio levels are much louder in general and more comparable to Spark and other receivers.
    You will no longer have to increase the volume levels on your tv to high levels and the fix doesn't distort the audio.
    I have increased the audio levels by 60% as I tried a number of different settings and this seemed the best .

Coupled with the automatic volume adjustment plugin the audio levels on the receiver are pretty constant now.
    I set the mpeg audio level at 60% on my remote and adjust ac3 channels for +40 in the automatic volume adjustment plugin .
    Hope this helps people.

Just wondering how to edit the rcS file, how do I open the file to edit it?:confused:

cyndale wrote: »

Just wondering how to edit the rcS file, how do I open the file to edit it?:confused:

Use Dreambox Control Centre ,select file ,then right click on mouse ,then edit.
    Using Freshpots Hyperion V4.5 and it hasn't green screened yet, very stable. It does seem to take up more memory though.
    On V4 memory free was around 35Mb, now it is around 10Mb!

V4.5 does seem to use more memory than V4 allright ,which is disappointing.
    Just a word of advice re memory.
    I have noticed than if you install extra plugins and skins whilst it uses extra flash memory as you'd expect it also in some cases uses Ram memory .

As the receiver only has 128Mb of Ram ,its important to have a certain amount of free memory as otherwise the swap will be used and whilst a swap file is handy its nowhere near as efficient as RAM.
    I like the way in Hyperion if you press the find button it will display the amount of free memory and swap memory .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

Zardoz wrote: »
    Ok guys here is a copy of a Hyperion 4.5 backup I made for the Alien 2 aka Golden Media Triplex aka Sab Triple

Its quite similar to my Hyperion 4 backup but has a few slight changes but its mostly the same .

I've included a few mods and tweaks in this image to improve performance over the basic Hyperion 4.5 build.

Firstly it has the amixer audio boost script running so the audio levels are 60% louder than the stock Hyperion image and more like Spark and other receiver levels.
    Also included is the alternative audio.elf file by Muitler to improve sound playback via an amp .
    This doesnt provide dts audio playback so I am enclosing the original audio.elf file too (it goes in /boot)

Improved tuxtext.ttf file for a better teletext font.

History Zap Selector v1.8 is included ,handy for channel browsing .(Prev/Next Button or Recall)
    Use 0 to switch between 2 channels.

Record Infobar is also included

I have also tweaked a few of the button mapping configurations and settings .

It is configured for 28 East Satellite and Saorview ,all picons are installed (usr/local/share/enigma2 )as is an up to date channel list inc some Iptv links.
    An upto date satellites.xml file covering 30w to 45e is also installed.

Autobouquets (Sept 29 2014 build) is installed if you'd prefer to use this to generate channel lists,its configured for the Republic of Ireland but its easy to change..

Installed Plugins
    AutoTimer
    Autobouquets
    Automatic Volume Adjustment
    CacheFlush
    CrossEPG 0.8.1 ( configured to update when the box is in standby )
    CoolTVGuide v7.3 (opens on EPG,Green button also opens Single EPG)
    RTE Player
    1channel (latest version;wont work in certain countries due to isp blocking)
    IPTV List Updater v1.63
    Enhanced Movie Centre
    Media Portal v6.76
    Media Player
    History Zap Browser
    Open Web Interface

Softcam
    Oscam v10000 is installed and running,you just need to edit the oscam.server file with your details
    Oscam port: 8888 user: root, pass: oscam

FTP: user:root ,pass:pkteam

I've set the default skin as PLi-HD but there are a few other skins to try inc Sky Blue HD ,if you'd prefer.
    Plenty of free flash space to install other plugins .
    I tried to keep an average free memory of ~15Mb in normal usage so didnt install too many superfluous plugins

The image is setup to use DHCP automatically and is also set for HDMI at 720p.

This is an extremely solid image and very quick ,I have been running it for the last 2 months .
    Many thanks to the PKT team,data devil, and other plugin developers who have put in sterling work with the different code involved in this backup.
    Enjoy

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ajkyf04regcsaut/AAD_I351j_yPbIlSkcvtQICQa?dl=0

Some sample screenshots

1_zpsvxwo9bs7.jpg

3_zpsg5vvmrld.jpg

2_zpsymyjbgxq.jpg

4_zpsglwkacgl.jpg

5_zpsbwaycmoz.jpg
    AHHH, now I see where I was going wrong! I was trying to flash the Alien1 image here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94612729&postcount=2911
    I'll try again later when family hits the sack, I have the freetv.ie image up & running but it's terrible so just remind me again what I need to do to upgrade to you Hyp 4.5 alien2 image via usb stick, Im off to work now, I'll check back after 20:00 tonight,....many thanks

AHHH, now I see where I was going wrong! I was trying to flash the Alien1 image here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94612729&postcount=2911
    I'll try again later when family hits the sack, I have the freetv.ie image up & running but it's terrible so just remind me again what I need to do to upgrade to you Hyp 4.5 alien2 image via usb stick, Im off to work now, I'll check back after 20:00 tonight,....many thanks

In step 2 of your post

This reads as if your trying to reinstall e2upgrade.s plugin not the image

for step 2 clear your memory key ( format ) and copy the image you like IE openATV hyperion 4 or openarp
    The files ( e2jffs.img and uimage ) can be in a single folder called enigma2 or back_of_e2
    While still in spark plug in your usb key
    go to plugins and start the plugin e2upgrade.s
    navigate to your folder
    press the red button to select the folder
    press the red button again to flash the image
    remove the usb when finished
    power down
    press and hold the ok button on front panel and power back up still holding ok
    when you see forc release the ok button
    press down arrow on front panel select enigma2
    press ok
    and it should boot into your new image

Bear in mind that you do not need to reinstall the e2upgrade.s plugin again you only had to do this once and now your free to install whatever image you like by simply putting it on a usb key and booting into spark and simply run the e2upgrade.s plugin which you have installed earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Thanks for all your help to those who have responded so far!

I bought my box with enigma 2 pre installed.

I just want to get to use the pli hd skin so I can see the picture preview/thumbnail in the epg somewhere and its a nice neat skin. I'm a complete newbie.

Anybody kind enough to give me a step by step to get the pli hd skin installed?

i tried downloading from my plug ins myself but once it was downloaded it disappeared or is sitting somewhere that I cant access.

On these threads "Champion" i think (don't quote me) says that once I have downloaded the skin that i need to click on 'menu=>setup=>system=>skins" but there is no "skins" option once I go into system.

I'm obviously doing something wrong. I have the box connected through ethernet and all fine on connection test etc.

do i need to create a skins folder or something on my usb/hd?

A walkthrough or any pointers in the right direction would be IMMENSELY appreciated.

Thanks a million in advance.

Try Menu ->Setup->System->Extended System->OSD settings->Skin Setup. It's in there on open atv. They have 2 skin menus, thats the one used to change skin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

He installed the Spark plugin in step 1 and is flashing the new image via the Spark plugin in step 2.

Hi mate installed your 4.5 image this evening works perfect only for the audio description. A voice describing what's happening when the misses is watching her soaps and both of them are doing my head in. Do u know how to turn it off, I tried the settings in auto language.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Press red button and take it off 'nar'

You may have to do it for each channel as you go along.

I actually found a kids channel where the narrator was on, and there was no option to take it off 'nar', which was a surprise!

Imstuck wrote: »

I actually found a kids channel where the narrator was on, and there was no option to take it off 'nar', which was a surprise!
    May be yellow key :-)

Cheers mate first time id seen it in any the images.

Technofobe wrote: »
    May be yellow key :-)

Nope its the red :)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

superg wrote: »
    Try Menu ->Setup->System->Extended System->OSD settings->Skin Setup. It's in there on open atv. They have 2 skin menus, thats the one used to change skin.

SuperG, you're an absolute gentleman/woman and scholar! That has worked for me and I'm now using the very slick pli night version. It's excellent. Thank you very much for your help.

I have two small problems now to finish off my setup.

The picons are not working. I get a list under the 28.2E Bouquets with movies, news etc etc. but instead of the picons, there is just numbers... e.g. 409 = sky sports 1 etc etc.

How can I fix this?

Also, the Irish channels do not work. They have been found but no picture shows. They work in spark version without any issues?

Any thoughts ?

I am setting this up for my pensioner parents and trying to have things as clean and simple as possible for them.

Thanks again for any help.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Nope its the red :)
    grand so
    yellow on openatv
    thanks for letting us know
    Cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

SuperG, you're an absolute gentleman/woman and scholar! That has worked for me and I'm now using the very slick pli night version. It's excellent. Thank you very much for your help.

I have two small problems now to finish off my setup.

The picons are not working. I get a list under the 28.2E Bouquets with movies, news etc etc. but instead of the picons, there is just numbers... e.g. 409 = sky sports 1 etc etc.

How can I fix this?

Also, the Irish channels do not work. They have been found but no picture shows. They work in spark version without any issues?

Any thoughts ?

I am setting this up for my pensioner parents and trying to have things as clean and simple as possible for them.

Not sure to be honest. Picon's always just worked for me without me doing anything of note. I copy the picons folder to the root of the harddrive and they just show up, thats with open atv images which is what you have and Hyperion 4.5 images which Is what is on my Alien 2 at the moment.

Don't know whats up with the Saorview either I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi, reverted back to Enigma at the weekend and I encountered your problem. What I did was: press FAV, choose Last Scanned, when all the channels appear, choose Provider (yellow button), then choose RTENL and your stations will work in there - just view them before adding them to your favourites - that solved the problem for me.

Now my problems - when I watch/leave on a FTA station or a Saorview and choose another station, the screen info is there but I only get a blank screen and the only way I can get the stations back is to reset the machine by pressing the button at the back which I'm sure wouldn't be good every day. Any solutions?

My second problem - not a major one but just wondering if anyone knows how to change the time on the front panel of the machine? The clock is set correctly for recording / when watching stations but is incorrect on the front panel.

Many thanks for any solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

In the audio language settings select English not auto or channel preferred should prevent the AD. Nat Geo always defaults to Nar otherwise.

• Advertisement

Ok,you are using the correct procedure allright.
    Are you sure you didnt use my Alien 1 backup instead of Alien 2 perhaps ?
    This is the one you need
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94611179&postcount=2908
    Success of sorts at last & thanks to Zardos & Technofobe, I now have Hyperion 4.5 up & running, however my original problem is back, crossEPG is not downloading, this was why I wanted to install & new image in the first place but as you seen I got myself into bother there too but sorted now, I've tried 2 different usb sticks (ext3 format) but still no epg,....I'll search the threads for knowledge, I was running Spark whilst trying to get enigma2 up & running & I must admit the HD & SD channels were much sharper with better color rendering then enigma:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

I was running Spark whilst trying to get enigma2 up & running & I must admit the HD & SD channels were much sharper with better color rendering then enigma:eek:

I agree!:eek:

If only Spark had a better skin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭deezell

Success of sorts at last & thanks to Zardos & Technofobe, I now have Hyperion 4.5 up & running, however my original problem is back, crossEPG is not downloading, this was why I wanted to install & new image in the first place but as you seen I got myself into bother there too but sorted now, I've tried 2 different usb sticks (ext3 format) but still no epg,....I'll search the threads for knowledge, I was running Spark whilst trying to get enigma2 up & running & I must admit the HD & SD channels were much sharper with better color rendering then enigma:eek:

I've this problem too, cross epg has a mind of its own. I'm a month tinkering with E2, during that time the cross has come and gone. If I press download it says downloading, then after a while it stops and goes back to menu. I no longer get the messages, loading, parsing, etc. I've tried setting storage to a usb, HDD, flash. My network is good, can ftp. I've turned off autobouquets, so my epg is steady on my custom bouquet. I've changed the EPG. source from open 28.2. To Xrd or something, UK channels. This actually worked for a while, but now all my sat channels are blank. Should I delete and reinstall Cross epg, and delete EPG.data using DCC, then reinstall cross.

SuperG, you're an absolute gentleman/woman and scholar! That has worked

Also, the Irish channels do not work. They have been found but no picture shows.

Just. A thought on the irish channels, I thought I had this problem, until I discovered that the epg would revert to 28.2 bouquet if I pressed the numbered buttons or the channel shift. I'd press 2, would end up with Rte 2, no picture, because I was now on the astra28.2 Rte, not the saorview terrestrial, which was in by own custom bouquet. It was only when I got more familiar with the epg and the bouquets that I realised this was happenin. I've got my custom bouquet at the top of the list now, box defaults to rte1 saorview on boot, and autobouquets is turned off to prevent astra28.2 being forced back to the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

deezell wrote: »
    I've this problem too, cross epg has a mind of its own. I'm a month tinkering with E2, during that time the cross has come and gone. If I press download it says downloading, then after a while it stops and goes back to menu. I no longer get the messages, loading, parsing, etc. I've tried setting storage to a usb, HDD, flash. My network is good, can ftp. I've turned off autobouquets, so my epg is steady on my custom bouquet. I've changed the EPG. source from open 28.2. To Xrd or something, UK channels. This actually worked for a while, but now all my sat channels are blank. Should I delete and reinstall Cross epg, and delete EPG.data using DCC, then reinstall cross.

FTP to your box and delete the epg.dat file and everything that's in your crossepg file. Then rerun crossepg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

hallo dare wrote: »
    FTP to your box and delete the epg.dat file and everything that's in your crossepg file. Then rerun crossepg.

You don't even need to ftp to delete it, just press play to open recordings and navigate from movie up a level and then into Crossepg and press red to delete the two EPG files then navigate back to movie.

You don't even need to ftp to delete it, just press play to open recordings and navigate from movie up a level and then into Crossepg and press red to delete the two EPG files then navigate back to movie.

Tip of the week, use the media browser as a file Manager.

What P's me off is how crossEPG can work 100% for months & suddenly stops, I've tried all the suggestions & it still refuses to download/display epg data, Saorview channel epg is fully populated with info but not satellite on 28.2:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

superg wrote: »
    Not sure to be honest. Picon's always just worked for me without me doing anything of note. I copy the picons folder to the root of the harddrive and they just show up, thats with open atv images which is what you have and Hyperion 4.5 images which Is what is on my Alien 2 at the moment.

Don't know whats up with the Saorview either I'm afraid.

OK Thanks everyone for your help. I'm trying everything suggested but hitting my head against a brick wall at the moment.

Where do I get the Picons folder from? Also the same for the Bouquets list?

I presume once I have them on a usb the files will be picked up on once i insert into the box automatically? Sorry for being a pain in the ass but I'm virtually clueless!

At the moment, I have the open pli night skin. It looks great and the cross epg is working fine.

I just need to sort out my irish stations working within the channel list.

I know I've to update the favourite channels from dreamboxdedit but where do I get the initial file to put into it? Is there a file online of the channel list I can download so I can then edit within the dreambox editor? I'll try figuring out how to FTP it after that!! :)

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

What P's me off is how crossEPG can work 100% for months & suddenly stops, I've tried all the suggestions & it still refuses to download/display epg data, Saorview channel epg is fully populated with info but not satellite on 28.2:confused:
    This is a bit of a long shot but a long time back people were using a version of the satellite.xml file which didn't include the data TP info for the EPG. Result CrossEPG would appear to run but not get any data.
    If you can have a look through it and check it as an entry for
    11428 H 27500 the Freesat EPG TP
    11778 V 27500 Sky EPG TP

Satellite.xml is in /etc/tuxbox

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement