Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York flights

Options
  • 09-07-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, myself and my oh are planning on going to New York on the 20th Dec and returning home on the 2nd jan. i want to fly aerlingus Dublin to JFK and im keeping an eye on flights but they seem to be steadily increasing. At the moment they are around 600 each (with no luggage). Should i book now or do you think they will come back down. any advise would be great as i dont know when i should book. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's peak travel time. If you can afford to nail them down at the moment and insist on flying Aer Lingus then maybe you should. But do yourself a favour and stop checking flights after that, you'll drive yourself crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Have you checked skyscanner?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I just ran that search on kayak, and the price trend says there's a 79% chance that prices will drop in the next seven days. Caveat emptor -
    http://www.kayak.com/flights/DUB-JFK/2014-12-20/2015-01-02

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bellabear2014

thanks for all replies. Only tried Aerlingus website but will have a look at the skyscanner. Wow kayak is really good i know it may not happen that the flights will come down within the next 7 days but its good that they can graph it like that. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's a pretty good price, considering that it is peak travel time. If the prices do drop any further, I don't think they will drop by a huge amount. You aren't going to be finding any $299 bargains for travel at that time of year, no matter how much searching you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

ProudDUB wrote: »
    That's a pretty good price, considering that it is peak travel time. If the prices do drop any further, I don't think they will drop by a huge amount. You aren't going to be finding any $299 bargains for travel at that time of year, no matter how much searching you do.

I think the OP is quoting a euro price which wouldn't be great, $600 would be a good deal alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You can also fly into Newark, New Jersey. Its actually closer to Manhattan then JFK. Good transport links too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Myself and my girlfriend are heading over in December. We paid €490 for return flights back in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

Myself and my girlfriend are heading over in December. We paid €490 for return flights back in April.

Depends when in december - there is a lull between Thanksgiving and Christmas/Hanukkah.

Once it gets to the 20th, the sky is the limit for prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I would check flights to newark if i were you.
    I find the airport terminal to be a bit better and you can get a train to penn station which is quicker than getting the subway from JFK to manhattan.
    United do direct flights from Dublin to Newark and you get to do pre-clearance in Dublin(way smaller lines) - meaning once you arrive in Newark you don't need to go through customs or immigration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

You should be able to get a better price than 600 euros if you wait it out. In my experience (going back and forth to NYC for 20 years) the best prices for Christmas flights are generally to be had in September/October. The flights from NY to Dublin will be full of people going home for Christmas on the 20th, and relatively few people will be making the journey in the other direction so you ought to be able to get a flight for about 500 euros or less in my opinion.

One tip I can give - consider returning on January 1st if possible, it's often hundreds cheaper than flying on the 2nd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

...they seem to be steadily increasing. At the moment they are around 600 each (with no luggage). Should i book now or do you think they will come back down.

Nowadays, airlines do not release their sale seat 10 months ahead of time so it pays to wait, if you can.

Airlines, at least on the State's side, now sell as many seats at higher prices and release sale seats later.

Generally speaking, the sale seats are released between 2 and 3 months ahead of time. However, I am not sure if this is true for peak times, such as your desired travel.

After this sales window, the prices usually climb back up.

I would suggest that you check United from SNN to EWR for more options. Getting to most places in Manhattan is quicker, easier, and cheaper from Newark, NJ than JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bellabear2014

Thanks to everyone that replied. Booked them over the weekend as im a nervous flier and have this thing that if i get an extra leg room seat it may calm me down a little. When i checked the seating map they were nearly all booked up so now i have my extra leg room seats for extra peace if mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tobias12

Hi Ladies and gents,

Quick question for ye all.

Is/Are there any flight search engines which would allow me to check for indirect flights from DUB to NYC but only direct on the way home. I have looked at the likes of skyscanner etc. They are really good but do not allow me to mix and match as I might say.

I don't mind stopping going over (cause you usually get the flight cheaper/ depending on time of year I guess) but hate stopping coming home. After a great holiday in the Big Apple I just like to get on a plane and get home to Dublin.

Any suggestions would be brilliant.

Thanks in advance.

ps I hope this is in the right thread, if not please tell me where to post?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

tobias12 wrote: »
    Is/Are there any flight search engines which would allow me to check for indirect flights from DUB to NYC but only direct on the way home. I have looked at the likes of skyscanner etc. They are really good but do not allow me to mix and match as I might say.

Have you tried Kayak.com? Go to the Multi-City option.

Not sure if it'll do what you want but it might.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Alternatively you could look at the airline websites ie. AA/US Airways. You could fly via PHL on the way over and direct from JFK with AA on the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

Hi folks.

Looking to book a one way flight to NYC in June 2016 (I plan on flying back from another city). I know this is a stupid question but whats a good price if I see it? I know the flights are out around 330 days prior to departure so I will be checking from day 1.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭IrishPhoenix

Keep track of the prices for June 2015 and you'll see what they go for on average and you'll have a decent idea for 2016.

Advertisement