Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloud storage for files

Options
  • 10-07-2014 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,
    Looking for a little bit of help. I need somewhere to store some excel files that 2 people work on regularly. However, one user is using PC and the other is using MAC. We previously used Evernote, which works fine for the PC user, but the Mac user cannot edit the files in the evernote location. They only open in read only and as a result, must be saved locally and then reuploaded to evernote again. However, when on Mac for some reason, evernote wont allow me to attach excel files. Everything works fine from PC version....

Any alternatives or suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Dropbox is a pretty good option. It simply syncs a folder of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tonyagrey

My understanding again of dropbox is that i cant edit the documents in dropbox? is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

tonyagrey wrote: »
    My understanding again of dropbox is that i cant edit the documents in dropbox? is that correct?

With dropbox client installed on both machines you will have a special dropbox folder created, just pop anything into that and its made available across any device with dropbox installed, and logged in to that account. Couldn't be simpler.
    The minute worker A edits and saves a file in the dropbox directory, it is immediately available on worker B's machine, where they can do the same.

You cannot edit the file "IN DROPBOX" if you mean by way of their web interface, but your thinking about it wrong if this is what you mean.

Both parties sharing the same dropbox account, will see the same contents of the dropbox folder, ie what ever files or folders you put into it. Any changes to the folders or files contained within this dropbox folder is replicated across all machines using this dropbox account. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Precisely, it's no different to having a shared folder on a network that people can access.
    Of course you have to be careful not to over write someone's work. There's an icon in the Dropbox icon that appears in the Windows's System Tray or the menu bar in OS X. It shows a green tick if the folder is synced and a blue twirly arrow thing if it's syncing files. All items in the Dropbox folder machine show a similar icon on the actual file icon.

Of course you could always use Google Docs with their collaborative tools if you really want to 'edit in' something.

Advertisement