Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting studying

• 10-07-2014 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

I am entering into 5th year and I really want to do good in my leaving cert.
    So I have decided to do a bit of an early work.
    Anyone could suggest what I could do in the following subjects English Maths Biology.
    All I have in mind for these subjects is:
    Get my material ready for English, I heard keynotes is good so I am looking into buying that. We done nothing at all in English over TY so there is nothing I could revise over.
    If anyone who is studying English over the summer could let me know what their preparation is...
    Maths, do not really need any work I got 92 in my summer, maybe I could go over the chapters we have done by doing exam papers.
    Biology, I am new, will move in September, so have asked a friend a loan of his experiment copy and notes copy so I will try to catch up.
    Anyone like to share their pre school prep ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Anyone could suggest what I could do in the following subjects English Maths Biology.
    Get my material ready for English, I heard keynotes is good so I am looking into buying that. We done nothing at all in English over TY so there is nothing I could revise over.
    If anyone who is studying English over the summer could let me know what their preparation is...
    Maths, do not really need any work I got 92 in my summer, maybe I could go over the chapters we have done by doing exam papers.
    Biology, I am new, will move in September, so have asked a friend a loan of his experiment copy and notes copy so I will try to catch up.

How do you mean your new in Biology? If you're going into 5th year, everyone's new. In fact, I vaguely remember you starting a similar thread to this and everyone told you to do nothing over the summer. If you really want to do well in the Leaving Cert, don't do anything. By the tíme May 2016 comes around you'll be knackered.

What you've suggested for English is pro-active and you should do this for every subject. Get tips on here for good books etc for each subject and have everything organised for September. Maybe put some time into researching courses you might like. After all, before you know it you'll be filling in a CAO form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

thelad95 wrote: »
    How do you mean your new in Biology? If you're going into 5th year, everyone's new. In fact, I vaguely remember you starting a similar thread to this and everyone told you to do nothing over the summer. If you really want to do well in the Leaving Cert, don't do anything. By the tíme May 2016 comes around you'll be knackered.

What you've suggested for English is pro-active and you should do this for every subject. Get tips on here for good books etc for each subject and have everything organised for September. Maybe put some time into researching courses you might like. After all, before you know it you'll be filling in a CAO form.

Yh its just that I get nervous.
    In biology I mean I am going to it, I am switching class.
    Thanks for advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Re English prep, this could be a great opportunity to prepare for paper 1 - read different types of articles and think of and/or write your response to them; practice various writing styles and essay types etc.
    I read property and travel pages, book and film reviews, restaurant and event reviews, news reports on controversial issues from opposing viewpoints - read as much and as widely as possible, you'd be amazed at what you can learn in terms of style and vocabulary, how quickly you can begin to recognise journalistic bias, persuasive language etc, and all of this can inform and enhance your writing.
    I knew the novel we were going to study for LC was Pride and Prejudice, so I read a few Jane Austen books in the summer before fifth year. It helped me get to grips with the style, characters, relationships, themes etc, which made things a bit easier.
    The only other thing I can think of is poetry terminology, which I found quite difficult and confusing: have a look at leavingcertenglish.net for a comprehensive list of terms with explanations and examples of various poetic techniques.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭AtomicKoala

Loads of people are just going to shout at you for even thinking of making your summer productive :pac: It's great to see yourself so motivated tbh.

Just only do some work if you have genuinely nothing else to do ;)

For English, I'd say get some random books from the library, reading can be mad craic.

Seeing as you are moving in to the Biology class, try and cover everything they did in TY. Chances are most have forgotten it so no need to rote learn it yet :p

As for Maths, don't get complacent! But don't bother doing anything over the summer.

The best way you could use this summer would be improving your European language. If you do French/German/Spanish/Italian, Duolingo.com can be great for this.

Bonne Chance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Learn constructions and theorems in maths - worth at least 15 marks in paper 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Enjoy your summer. To prepare for english, watch tv :P no seriously, get netflix and watch good series.. its good for paper 1. Also read everything...classic novels will probably prepare you best if you like them. Otherwise read anything. Aim for a book a week, if your not working/busy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

For English, just read books! Read stuff you enjoy and also stuff you're not usually familiar with. As hard as it might be to believe, reading is actually fun :p It'll help with your vocabulary, grammar, writing style, etc.

Don't put in the effort over summer. Put in the effort from September to May and again next year. That's when it'll count.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 asdfrewq

For english I would advice reading the Irish times from time to time. I got an A1 myself and I found that really helped me. I know you didn't ask for help in French but if you are doing it I would recommend watching french movies with subtitles... that is the only thing I did in the summer before and it made the orals really easy :)

Advertisement