Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun Safe where to put

Options
  • 10-07-2014 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Well since i upgraded from air rifle to rifle my parents wont let me have the gun safe in the room anymore(which is fair already sed they can have the bolt at night but wont budge which is fair i got a rifle im happy enugh)im only 17 but had the air rifle in my room the past 6 months no problem!Theres a nice hidy spot in my room friends wouldnt even spot it!

Now they want to store it in a room in plain sight downstairs which is daft in my opinion anyone could see it if they broke in the room will be locked but is left open half the time.Its been their since i bought the rifle...Also dont like the idea of bring it up and down the stairs when it needs a clean anyone could be in house with me unaware and see me!

Theirs no where in the house where it could go other than that room and mine.

Already talked to them should i just move it up stairs without telling them but i would imagine they would be mad (its pretty heavy though)

:confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Move out dude. :D

What difference is it to them whether the gun is a .22lr or an air rifle? Both are the same under the law. I know you said your mother has a license on the gun (for whatever reason), but the bolt should not be in a beside locker, and in their possession. It should be locked away like the rifle, and should not be available to your Father.

As for the safe. Explain to them that the gun safe should be in a hidden area (or as close to hidden as you can manage), away from others sight, and from anyone looking in (from the outside or when in the house) from downstairs. So upstairs is the best option and if your room is the only upstairs option then it makes sense to have it where it is now.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

Had a similar problem when living at home.so the safe went in the attic!

Should have noted it was bolted to a masonry wall!!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

Cass wrote: »

Luckily i go to boarding school and havent been home much so far this summer their a nightmare haha
    What difference is it to them whether the gun is a .22lr or an air rifle? Both are the same under the law. I know you said your mother has a license on the gun (for whatever reason), but the bolt should not be in a beside locker, and in their possession. It should be locked away like the rifle, and should not be available to your Father.

He dosent even know which way it shoots out haha
    As for the safe. Explain to them that the gun safe should be in a hidden area (or as close to hidden as you can manage), away from others sight, and from anyone looking in (from the outside or when in the house) from downstairs. So upstairs is the best option and if your room is the only upstairs option then it makes sense to have it where it is now.

I have may times now i might try move it without saying it i did it with the air rifle when it was in the garage straight to my room im sure many people seen me walking to the garage with it!
    djflawless wrote: »
    Had a similar problem when living at home.so the safe went in the attic!

Should have noted it was bolted to a masonry wall!!

Ye its a right bollox :confused:

Ill have to put the safe lying down take off the door and carry the door seperatly its very heavy warmflow 4 gun safe!

Might do it at the end of the summer then i wont have to see them for 3 weeks they might be less mad when or if i come home :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

1shot16 wrote: »
    I have many times now.....

I'm not getting at you lad, but you had this same issue when you got the air rifle. You also told us about how you were told a parent had to be licensed on the gun so you could get it. Among other fun trivia.

The fact of the matter is this. You are the licensed person on the gun. You are the owner. If your Mother is licensed too then so be it. The one failing point is that you need their permission, regardless of age, if you intend to store the gun in their home.

So one one hand you hold the authority, and on the other they do. It's a catch 22. My advice is this. Explain it to them once more. Tell them you have given them the best option from advice from lads that have been shooting almost as long as they have been breathing. If they choose to ignore this then just do as they say. You have taken every precaution you can.

One last thing. The safe MUST be bolted to a solid wall. If downstairs does not suffice then it's off the cards and that is law. So to store it unsecured is a violation of the law and one last "shot across the bow".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

No! Stay home, with all of the rent money you save, buy one of these in 338Lapua Magazine, and then move out!

Seriously though, I find it strange to tell a teenager to talk some sense in to their parents.

You are correct, imho, to want to hide the safe. I will not even put an NRA or Browning deer sticker on my car. My participation in the sport is something that I do not advertise. As I truthfully tell everyone, I do not own one gun. :-)

Is the safe too wide to go under the bed? A couple of blue bolts fastened in to the concrete - job done.

Otherwise, could you lay the safe flat in a closet, either on its back or side? A board or an old blanket on top of the safe and you have a nice shoe rack (again, fastened by blue blots).

Otherwise, to the attic it goes. Just keep it away from moisture sources. Also, I don't think I would put it on or very close to the chimney. I would worry about condensation as the fire warms then cools. Maybe a few feet away to allow mixing of air.

Thanks again Cass ....

I might take a bit tomorrow to look around the house and try figure a good spot out!

Advertisement