Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened the Borg?

Options
  • 10-07-2014 8:20am
    Site Banned Posts: 16

At the end of voyager we see a lot of Borg ships and infrastructure being destroyed, we're they completely wiped from existence or was that just a setback for them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

They were assimilated by IBM. You would not believe their storage technology, they make an EMC Clarion look like a 1980s cassette-tape interface. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

All that was destroyed was one transwarp hub if I remember correctly, Borg had more of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Lemsnip wrote: »
    At the end of voyager we see a lot of Borg ships and infrastructure being destroyed, we're they completely wiped from existence or was that just a setback for them?

The scriptwriters haven't made their minds up yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Lemsnip wrote: »

It would have just been a setback. They had several transwarp hubs, & Voyager only destroyed one of them. It would have hampered the Borg's ability to travel to certain places, but as a 'species', they were left intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

They will adapt :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Kathryn Janeway happened to the Borg.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Kathryn Janeway happened to the Borg.

2 Janeways actually :P

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

They infected the collective with some form of virus that caused the borg to essentially wipe itself out. The borg queen herself is seen with her limbs falling off her body minutes after beginning to assimilate 25th century Janeway. The "Uni-Complex" (as the queen called it, then) was seen blowing up, all of its own accord, all multiple explosions too.

The Borg sphere that followed Voyager to the solar system was "Still in the Queen's control" in her last moments, alleging that for some reason some elements in the collective were slow to adopt the virus, that ship was blown up from the inside by Voyager though so its hard to say what would have happened if it had stayed intact, otherwise.

So either the collective is wiped out, or disconnected elements still exist, but there is no collective. Borg technology may still exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Borg Queen was also seen as a writhing spine & skull in First Contact, her 'death' doesn't mean much really. The Unicomplex did blow up, I'd forgotten about those scenes, but they didn't leave the impression in my mind the Borg had been significantly altered...

Myrddin wrote: »
    The Borg Queen was also seen as a writhing spine & skull in First Contact, her 'death' doesn't mean much really. The Unicomplex did blow up, I'd forgotten about those scenes, but they didn't leave the impression in my mind the Borg had been significantly altered...

She was also on the Cube with Locutus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

They (the writers) do whatever they fell like, they kill they queen, but she comes back...and we assume another queen has taken her place - different actress...., but then the original actress comes back and that goes out the window.

Drones seem to go kaboom when the queens die, but yet they seem to survive outside the collective on numerous occasions.

The borg have become little furry friends, see how many you can collect for your ship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Voyager "script" writers happened to the Borg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Overheal wrote: »
    They infected the collective with some form of virus that caused the borg to essentially wipe itself out. The borg queen herself is seen with her limbs falling off her body minutes after beginning to assimilate 25th century Janeway. The "Uni-Complex" (as the queen called it, then) was seen blowing up, all of its own accord, all multiple explosions too.

The Borg sphere that followed Voyager to the solar system was "Still in the Queen's control" in her last moments, alleging that for some reason some elements in the collective were slow to adopt the virus, that ship was blown up from the inside by Voyager though so its hard to say what would have happened if it had stayed intact, otherwise.

So either the collective is wiped out, or disconnected elements still exist, but there is no collective. Borg technology may still exist.

UNLESS 25th Century Janeway also knew how to stop the virus. The borg assimilated all her knowledge so if she had any knowledge of the creation of the virus it's possible she knew how to stop it..

As you mentioned, one sphere was slower in accepting the virus upload, maybe another one was too.

Then there's the fact that this happened in the Trek-Prime universe, which, lets face it, is commercially dead.

JJ-Trek can reinvent the Borg as the biggest baddasses in the galaxy, and considering the events of Enterprise (such as the episode where the borg appeared in the Arctic circle after the destruction of the sphere in first contact) as still part of JJ-Trek, are probably canon there is a possibility for him to bring them along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Abrams might make the Borg bad-ass again. I honestly hope so, I do miss the nightmarish and invincible Borg of the TNG years. Back then the Enterprise would find ways to *hide* from them considering how much of a threat they were.

What happened to the Borg? Star Trek: Voyager happened to the Borg. They were pretty bad ass right up until First Contact. Even the introduction of the Queen in the movie didn't remove a lot of the bad-assery.

However, we then got Voyager, and it's all mighty Reset button. The Borg had no defense against the Reset button, it was simply too powerful. They got beaten by the disappointing Species 8472 (and I always thought it was silly the crew kept call them that while listing their enemies), Seven of Nine sort of made them very boring ("When I was in the collective [insert anecdote here]"), and the Doctor even created a hypo-spray to cure assimilation.

I wish I made that last one up. The Doctor actually hypo'd Janeway better from being assimilated. That killed them forever for me. The thing about the Borg is that they force you being one of them, and kind of steal your soul too. That's scarier than them killing you. Getting away from that should be nearly impossible, or at least very hard and painful like it was for Picard. It shouldn't have been as easy as taking a 'Borg shot' to get better!!

So after Voyager, the Borg were probably still ok. However they were lame....very very lame and easy to beat. As far I'm concerned they can stay in the 'Meh' Quadrant and fight poorly against Talaxians for all I care. I want my TNG Borg back...they were the good kind of scary!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

TNG had a few pretty awful Borg episodes too. Remember the Hugh and Lore ones?
    The Picard assimuilation however was very well done and the psychological impact on the captain was really well portrayed by PS (played it like a rape victim really).
    Still the best scene in STTNG was

Borg; Captain Jean-Luc Picard. You lead the strongest ship of the Federation Starfleet. You speak for your people.
    Picard: I have nothing to say to you. And I will resist you with my last ounce of strength!
    The Borg: Strength is irrelevant. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours.
    Picard: Impossible! My culture is based on freedom and self-determination!
    The Borg: Freedom is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You must comply.
    Picard: We would rather die.
    The Borg: Death is irrelevant. Your archaic cultures are authority driven. To facilitate our introduction into your societies, it has been decided that a human voice will speak for us in all communications. You have been chosen to be that voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Rawr

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    TNG had a few pretty awful Borg episodes too. Remember the Hugh and Lore ones?
    The Picard assimuilation however was very well done and the psychological impact on the captain was really well portrayed by PS (played it like a rape victim really).
    Still the best scene in STTNG was

Borg; Captain Jean-Luc Picard. You lead the strongest ship of the Federation Starfleet. You speak for your people.
    Picard: I have nothing to say to you. And I will resist you with my last ounce of strength!
    The Borg: Strength is irrelevant. Resistance is futile. We wish to improve ourselves. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service ours.
    Picard: Impossible! My culture is based on freedom and self-determination!
    The Borg: Freedom is irrelevant. Self-determination is irrelevant. You must comply.
    Picard: We would rather die.
    The Borg: Death is irrelevant. Your archaic cultures are authority driven. To facilitate our introduction into your societies, it has been decided that a human voice will speak for us in all communications. You have been chosen to be that voice.

I really miss that too. The Borg as one scary voice, instead of an occasionally vain Queen running the show and making mistakes. As I think Q once put it, that they are like 'a force of nature'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Rawr wrote: »
    I really miss that too. The Borg as one scary voice, instead of an occasionally vain Queen running the show and making mistakes. As I think Q once put it, that they are like 'a force of nature'.

Yeah.

Ye get the impression that that hive idea was pushed out by committee think. ie. Viewers aren't able to fully 'engage' with a faceless Borg enemy. They need someone to hate. Lets fling all the hive mind stuff out the window and give them an evilly sexy queen to run the show!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

quad_red wrote: »
    Yeah.

Ye get the impression that that hive idea was pushed out by committee think. ie. Viewers aren't able to fully 'engage' with a faceless Borg enemy. They need someone to hate. Lets fling all the hive mind stuff out the window and give them an evilly sexy queen to run the show!

you are into some weird **** if you think the borg queen was sexy :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

you are into some weird **** if you think the borg queen was sexy :pac:

You know what I mean - svelte lady beaten into leather replaces androgynous horrific biological/technological monstrosities.

The Borg Queen was overtly (and rather creepily) sexual with Picard, Data and Janeway at points.

It wasn't well thought out or effective.

From this
    borg-tng-174.jpg

to this

200_s.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I think the writers just stopped writing them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Perhaps... they got assimilated by the Night Crew? :P

Advertisement