Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inheritance Tax

Options
  • 10-07-2014 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

My Mum has recently died leaving me the family home.
    I have lived in this house all my life.
    My question is, do I have to pay Inheritance Tax???
    Some of my friends say I don't while others say it depends on the value of the house.
    For the purpose of property tax the house was valued at € 110,000.
    I would appreciate any advice or guidance.
    Thanking you in advance.
    Tagged:

Comments

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/thresholds.html
    Parent to child, €225,000. Your solicitor will be the best one to guide you.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cathorio

Mary Anne, my sincere appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cobham

I think the fact that you lived in the house is relevant. There might be some rule about living there for so many years after inheritance and not selling it in that time to avoid a tax. An accountant would also give good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cobham wrote: »
    I think the fact that you lived in the house is relevant. There might be some rule about living there for so many years after inheritance and not selling it in that time to avoid a tax. An accountant would also give good advice.

The house is worth less than half the threshold for paying tax on a gift from a parent so whether the OP lived there or not is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭cathorio

My sincere appreciation to all who took the time to answer my question. Much respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

My apologies Cathorio for not reading your original post properly. I still feel you should get a proper opinion on the matter. Inheritance tax in Ireland is cumulative so at some stage in the future this inheritance might be relevant. And my sympathies also on the death of your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Delta2113

About to Inherit a house worth approx. €400,000 from Mother but because I have been living in it and will continue to live in it I wont have to pay any tax on it.

However I am also getting about €20,000 from bank account. Will I have to pay tax on this?

Advertisement