Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cats gone off food

• 10-07-2014 9:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭

I've been feeding both my cats bozita canned food for the last few months no problem. But in the last week or so both cats seem to have gone off it. One more than the other. They both got their boosters and other shots last Monday so at first I thought that may be why they were kind of off their food. They eat other foods no problem. Ham and chicken etc so I don't think it's that they are off food all together. The food is in date and smells fine, I don't think there's anything wrong. They don't get excited for breakfast or dinner like they used to. Normally when . Put their food out they are all over it. But not lately. Boyfriend has suggested it's because he gave them tuna two days in a row when I was away and now they don't want normal food. I gave them tuna the day before yesterday and it was gone in seconds. Any advice/opinions on what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Do they wander off during the day? Wonder are they getting something to eat elsewhere?

One way to get them back on track is to leave what you give them with them. If they don't eat it then they'll get tummy rumbles at some stage and will just have to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

hallo dare wrote: »
    Do they wander off during the day? Wonder are they getting something to eat elsewhere?

One way to get them back on track is to leave what you give them with them. If they don't eat it then they'll get tummy rumbles at some stage and will just have to eat.

That did cross my mind but they are in the house all day until I get home in the evening. I let them out for maybe three four hours then. When I get home there's usually some gone though not clear like it used to be. And they don't run to the kitchen door and cry until I get their food like they used to. I don't think it's an appetite thing as they still go crazy for other things. Yesterday I gave them some cooked chicken and they ate it all

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sounds like one of our cats who prefer raw over anything else; she'll come paw for food if she don't get it but she'll eventually buckle down and eat what's served (even if it make take a day of serving the same one over and over at every meal). They are most likely gambling on you giving in and serving tuna so simply keep on serving up Bozita at every meal, remove it and throw away the served part and keep it up. They will eat eventually once they realize that tuna is not going to be on the table as alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

They get tuna anyway every now and again. Same with meat. If were making dinner we save some of the meat for them. We haven't changed anything we do really I just thought it was a bit strange they both stopped eating it at the same time! The more fussy one has definitely lost weight, but she is still on the large side and needs to lose more if anything!!! She's always been fussy. Hates cat treats. Won't eat whiskas and a few other types of cat food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Our cats get a bit like that at times. Some mornings they're ravenous in the mornings but others they don't move out of their sleeping places. We feed Bozita cans too but we also free feed Royal Canin. I know that Felix is dining out again as he's put on the weight he'd lost and probably a bit extra:(, so it'll be a nightmare trying to get it off him again.

We had them on Animonda cans for a while and Feringa until they got bored with those. Maybe they just need a change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,474 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One of ours is a bit like that as well. She just goes off a certain food after a while, and just looks up at you as if to say "Can't you give me something else, I'm tired of this one?" So, we switch to another food, and for a few weeks she hoovers it up straight away as if there was no tomorrow, and then slowly she gets tired of it again. The other cat will eat whatever you give her, and the other cat's food too if she's daft enough to leave any in her bowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

We usually feed a mixture of foods, mainly Carny and Smilla as they tend to get bored with just one after a while. Cats are fickle creatures lol. Whatever was the bestest food ever yesterday is poobah the next. Also leaving them a bit hungry helps as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I agree with what some of the others said, it sounds like your cats have just gone off that particular kind of food. It's happened to me as well and once I gave my cat different food she was eating normally again. I buy maybe 4 different brands with a few different types of meat each now so she gets to eat something different every day and she seems to like that.

Advertisement