Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bootable Windows 7 64bit home premium

Options
  • 10-07-2014 9:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi,

The hard drive crashed in my laptop so I am waiting on a replacement hard drive which I will instal.

I don't have windows operating system cds - Its windows 7 64bit home premium.

Can someone tell me where I can download a bootable version of this. I will use my licence key from my laptop sticker.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Calling your computer manufacturer might be of use, they can normally provide disks. Official OEM isos are available by searching, pretty sure this is totally allowed by Microsoft provided you use your own key, but not sure linking to these sites is allowed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Phantom99

TheChizler wrote: »
    Calling your computer manufacturer might be of use, they can normally provide disks. Official OEM isos are available by searching, pretty sure this is totally allowed by Microsoft provided you use your own key, but not sure linking to these sites is allowed here.

I rang Dell. They want to charge €50 for the disks probably as I'm out of warranty.

I should be ok as I have a Dell Datasafe factory restore usb which I took off the computer before it crashed but I wanted to download this just in case. I have my license key. Someone has already posted a link to this on a different thread but I cannot find it. Came across it about a week ago.

Have factory restored before but not replaced the hard drive. I assume the process is
    - Replace hard drive
    - Turn on computer and get into BIOS
    - Direct it to boot from USB (factory restore) or windows OEM

Is it as straighforward as that?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Phantom99 wrote: »
    I rang Dell. They want to charge €50 for the disks probably as I'm out of warranty.

I should be ok as I have a Dell Datasafe factory restore usb which I took off the computer before it crashed but I wanted to download this just in case. I have my license key. Someone has already posted a link to this on a different thread but I cannot find it. Came across it about a week ago.

Have factory restored before but not replaced the hard drive. I assume the process is
    - Replace hard drive
    - Turn on computer and get into BIOS
    - Direct it to boot from USB (factory restore) or windows OEM

Is it as straighforward as that?

Save your money

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso

Thats the Windows 7 ISO you need. Download that and use something like Imgburn to burn it a dvd.

Then Install, and activate your copy of windows with your product key.

Simples.

If you dont have access to Broadband, I can send you a copy of your stuck, its a hefty download (3.02gb!) so maybe dont use a USB dongle for it!

Save your money

http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso

Thats the Windows 7 ISO you need. Download that and use something like Imgburn to burn it a dvd.

Then Install, and activate your copy of windows with your product key.

Simples.

If you dont have access to Broadband, I can send you a copy of your stuck, its a hefty download (3.02gb!) so maybe dont use a USB dongle for it!

Great thanks for that. I have access to broadband so I will download it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Grand job

Let us know how you get on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

This tool from Microsoft will make it easy to put the .iso on a dvd or make a bootable USB stick

If you go for the USB stick way - it will delete everything on it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

gctest50 wrote: »

If you go for the USB stick way - it will delete everything on it
    Even if you partition it! As I found out yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I find this http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ USB Iso creator very good and you can put multiple iso's on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

200motels wrote: »
    I find this http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ USB Iso creator very good and you can put multiple iso's on it.

Rufus is great, and it's Irish! :)

Nick

Well nothing is working for me at the moment. The drive replacement was fine but issues with loading Windows 7.

Dell datasafe backup failed.

Tried Windows ISO file but am getting 0xc0000001 error and 0xc000000f

I cant download Imgburn and a few others I have found as I dont have administrator prilevege on PC I'm on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Well nothing is working for me at the moment. The drive replacement was fine but issues with loading Windows 7.

I cant download Imgburn and a few others I have found as I dont have administrator prilevege on PC I'm on!

Did you manage to burn the ISO to the USB or where exactly are you getting those errors?

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Did you manage to burn the ISO to the USB or where exactly are you getting those errors?

I burned the ISO to DVD using Active ISO burner and also tried CDBurner. Both DVDs looked like they were loading Windows for a few minutes and then produced the error message.

Have downloaded a different ISO and am trying to burn it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

burn the dvds at the slowest speed your dvd burner will allow.

That didn't work either so I guess I'll bring to a shop. Thanks for your help anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

its a dell, so make sure to tap f12 on startup to get your bootup menu. choose boot from CD device.

Also, when writing dvd (in imgburn), make sure to 'write image file to disk', dont write file / folders to disk.
    Choose the verify option. The error messages you report above seem to suggest bad installation media.

Maybe you should use USB instll like suggested above.

Try using Rufus instead of that other tool, if you have a USB. There really is no need to go to a shop and pay them a load of unnecessary money for a reinstallation. Dont give up yet!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What is Dell datasafe? Have you tried the Windows 7 clean images Agent Smith has suggested here? Any Dell rubbish should not interfere with these installations!

Nick

sKeith wrote: »
    its a dell, so make sure to tap f12 on startup to get your bootup menu. choose boot from CD device.

Also, when writing dvd (in imgburn), make sure to 'write image file to disk', dont write file / folders to disk.
    Choose the verify option. The error messages you report above seem to suggest bad installation media.

Maybe you should use USB instll like suggested above.

I can't download imgburn as computer needs some other software first. Maybe I'll try downloading other software first. I'm restricted as using work computer and don't have admin rights.

Tried f12 and starts to read from CD but then error appears.

Was hoping to create usb key but had issues downloading software

On the off-chance you're in the Waterford City area, give me a shout and I'll sort that out for you, no charge involved.

Try using Rufus instead of that other tool, if you have a USB. There really is no need to go to a shop and pay them a load of unnecessary money for a reinstallation. Dont give up yet!

I tried to download Rufus but work pc blocked the website!

I´ll hang on a little while longer and see how I go. I'd say a genuine Windows CD would work

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    What is Dell datasafe? Have you tried the Windows 7 clean images Agent Smith has suggested here? Any Dell rubbish should not interfere with these installations!

Nick

Dell datasafe let's u create system backups to restore later. I used it to create a bootable factory restore usb. Didn't work though.

Yes I tried the disk iso image suggested by agent Smith. Didn't work prob because of DVD burning

On the off-chance you're in the Waterford City area, give me a shout and I'll sort that out for you, no charge involved.

No I'm based in galway. Thanks for the offer anyway:o

Dell datasafe let's u create system backups to restore later. I used it to create a bootable factory restore usb. Didn't work though.

Yes I tried the disk iso image suggested by agent Smith. Didn't work prob because of DVD burning

Those inbuilt backup utilities are generally instruments of the devil. All they end up doing is messing up a machine and slowing it down.

If you can get access to a PC with admin rights and burn the ISO to a USB using Rufus, it should be very straightforward from there - just a matter of hitting F11/F12 on the boot screen, booting to USB and following the instructions. Good luck :o

Those inbuilt backup utilities are generally instruments of the devil. All they end up doing is messing up a machine and slowing it down.

If you can get access to a PC with admin rights and burn the ISO to a USB using Rufus, it should be very straightforward from there - just a matter of hitting F11/F12 on the boot screen, booting to USB and following the instructions. Good luck :o

Is the Rufus downloaded installation file large? Could it be emailed? I cud click to run program

Its less than a megabyte to download:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Also Irish made, which is great :)

I found a Windows 7 home premium 64 bit reinstall and recovery disk on eBay for 5 GBP so I might try that. Can't post link as typing on kindle no copy and paste.

This should work I hope. Would like disk I can use again

Its less than a megabyte to download:

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Also Irish made, which is great :)

This site is blocked by work pc when I try to access it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

This site is blocked by work pc when I try to access it!

PM me an email address and I'll send it to you

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    PM me an email address and I'll send it to you

Pm sent

• Advertisement
Advertisement