Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is pollen a skin irritant?

• 10-07-2014 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

took my dog to the vet yesterday for his boosters. I mentioned to the vet that he seems to be pulling at his paws/pads an awful lot lately. He's been groomed recently so I knew it wasn't matted hair (he has very hairy paws). The vet had a look for any harvest mites but couldn't see any signs and said he could be getting irritated by pollen on his paws?? he said to wash his paws after walks to see if that helps. Has anyone heard of this before?
    he does seem to have allergies in summer, but like hay fever type. He loves flowers :rolleyes: but starts sneezing and his eyes go red. Never thought it would be a skin irritant for him though.

we've had him 6 years (he's 9 this year) and although I've noticed the hay fever before, never noticed him at his paws that much. Does anyone have any other ideas what it might be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yes it can be an irritant and the pollen count has been very high the last couple of weeks too. What do you feed him as it could be diet related?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Phenix

hi,
    thanks for the reply. He's on Luath's Chicken wt Brown Rice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Definitely YES!!! My Shih Tzu suffers badly from the grass pollen, and I have to wash his face & paws to keep the irritation down. I use either camomile tea or tea tree oil with warm water. In fact, we've just come back from our constitutional and I will be making his tea bath...

Really?!?! I feel awful now :( he's been going mad with them, even during the night I can hear him at them and I say 'leave it' and he hops up real quick as if to say 'leave what?? I wasn't pulling at my paw'
    will def start washing his paws to see if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

You can get a great tea tree oil spray which really helps the itching. Wash paws and stuff first as others have suggested with a bit of tea tree oil in the water. Spray this on after. Great for cooling down irritated skin.

Our guy suffers so bad with hayfever. Sounds nuts I know!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Lavender oil works just as well. I had to use it today, as I couldn't find the tea tree oil.

hi all, thanks for the tips Ill try out the oil's and see how we get on ;)

Advertisement