Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows 7 support to end in January 2015

• 10-07-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

As per title, Microsoft to end support for Windows 7 in January 2015.

Linky

Terrible decision if true, as all the companies that we have installed Pc's for to upgrade from XP are Windows 7 as Windows 8 causes too much trouble.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

It isn't "ending support", it's entering "extended support", or, as the boys and girls at "Tom's hardware" put it:

Windows 7 will exit Mainstream Support and enter the Extended Support phase on January 13, 2015. That means Windows 7 customers will still obtain security fixes until 2020, but the platform will no longer receive cool new features. This change affects all ten versions of the Windows 7 platform.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-update-extended-mainstream-support,27220.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Yeah, there's a huge difference between "Extended Support" and "no longer supported". By comparison, XP entered Extended Support in 2009

EDIT: Jaysus, I just read the article in the OP. That is utter nonsense, either written by someone with no knowledge of the subject, or it's click bait

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you take Moore's law, the average life of a hard drive , and the lower energy usage of newer machines there are diminishing returns for a company keeping old boxes on life support.

And XP got several extensions too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Thats one of the most misleading articles ever. People have no need to worry until the security updates stop, a-la XP in April.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Thats one of the most misleading articles ever. People have no need to worry until the security updates stop, a-la XP in April.

And even then.... I keep XP on a VM, mostly to check if some of the old crapola we still support and occasionally maintain is still working after a rebuild, and I have noticed several "windows updates" even after April :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

rozeboosje wrote: »
    And even then.... I keep XP on a VM, mostly to check if some of the old crapola we still support and occasionally maintain is still working after a rebuild, and I have noticed several "windows updates" even after April :-)

I still use XP on my multimedia system, I see no real reason to move from it. Although I did employ that registry hack which pulls a few updates in now and again :) Microsoft are still providing updates for the malicious software removal tool through Windows Update, its probably those that you are seeing every patch Tuesday.

Yup. That's what I'm getting. Not bad for something THAT old.

Advertisement