Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV installation question

Options
  • 10-07-2014 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to be re-treading old ground, but I've had a search here and on the PSA site and I can't find an answer.

My understanding is that in order to install CCTV systems professionally, you need to have a license.

But if you are installing on your own property for yourself, that's OK?

Someone else told me that in the event of a break-in or anything, footage from a self installed system would not be allowed as evidence, is that correct? So in other words installing it myself would be a waste of time anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Sorry to be re-treading old ground, but I've had a search here and on the PSA site and I can't find an answer.

My understanding is that in order to install CCTV systems professionally, you need to have a license.

But if you are installing on your own property for yourself, that's OK?

Someone else told me that in the event of a break-in or anything, footage from a self installed system would not be allowed as evidence, is that correct? So in other words installing it myself would be a waste of time anyway?

Yes it is OK for you to self install your own CCTV system as far as PSA are concerned.

With regard to your footage query, that is something I have not heard about to be honest with you. I wonder is it because those of us that are PSA licensed have to have technical competence and perhaps some smart barrister in a court case afterwards could query the competence of the original installer????

I would doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,336 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

kub wrote: »
    I wonder is it because those of us that are PSA licensed have to have technical competence and perhaps some smart barrister in a court case afterwards could query the competence of the original installer????

Maybe...

Seems odd though. Even if it was installed by a complete eejit, I would have thought that what is seen on the film is all that matters.

Maybe...

Seems odd though. Even if it was installed by a complete eejit, I would have thought that what is seen on the film is all that matters.

Me too, where did you hear that was it in a pub by any chance?

kub wrote: »
    Me too, where did you hear that was it in a pub by any chance?

Nope, friend of mine.

Nope, friend of mine.

I find it a very interesting query to be honest because there have really been no standards for CCTV in this country until around 3 years ago and even the technical requirements on that are now out of date and irrelevant.

As I said to my knowledge anyway that is the first I have heard of it but if any other installers here know anything please share lads.

• Advertisement

Have done a bit of searching on this. All I can find is a similar question on a cctv forum from 2004 that went unanswered.

Not sure if I should link to another forum, but the question asked was:
    somebody wrote:
    Is it true that a cctv install in a garage (used to monitor an oil pump which belongs to a business, but is located in a residential garage) would have to be installed by a registered technician before footage would be usable in court?

Sounds like a similar question, but it's from 10 years ago. My understanding is that the PSA regulations are only 5 years old or something?

I might just give the guards a buzz in the morning and ask.

Another note...

http://www.cctvireland.ie/pdf/Garda-Guidlines-on-CCTV-in-Ireland.pdf

There is no mention of any legal requirements on footage from non-registered installs, and it does directly refer to requirements on footage from the point of view of court admissibility.
    Using Video Recordings as Evidence

To be acceptable in a court of law video evidence must be carefully processed to the highest standards; otherwise, it may ultimately be inadmissible when challenged by lawyers or counsel.

The following guidelines should be observed:

 There must be evidence of continuity of handling of the recorded evidence from the moment of recording right up to the its production in court

 The video recording medium must be the original recording

 There must be no evidence of editing, interference or manipulation of the recorded data

 The recording should include a time and date generator and should be sufficiently long to establish the facts it is intended to prove

And from the Citizens Advice website...
    Video recordings
    Increasingly, incidents or crimes are being captured and recorded on video or CCTV (Closed Circuit Television) recorders. Such recordings are accepted by the courts in Ireland as being real evidence. Indeed, where evidence of a crime is caught on a street or shop camera, there is a duty on the Gardaí to seize and retain the recording for a reasonable time, even if they do not intend to use the recording as part of the prosecution case.

In order to use video/tape recordings as evidence, the prosecution must prove that the tape or video recording is authentic or genuine. The prosecution must explain how and why the recording was made and who had control of the recording afterwards.

The defence may object on these grounds and it will then be a matter for the judge to decide whether or not to allow the recording to be put to the jury.

So essentially I'm not finding anything to back up the claims. Maybe a rumour spread by registered installers! LOL.

I'm sure that the system would need to be up to a certain standard, i.e. clear date and time stamp and high enough resolution to leave little scope for mistaken identity etc. But I'm sure that with the right kit I can install myself with no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Its better than nothing, but you could argue it to death if there was any delay in "handing in" footage

Advertisement