Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant has asked permission to sublet...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Not a ll but if you were to agree I woulď suggest an extra deposit at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If sh|t hits the fan, and the place is destroyed, does the tenant have the capital to fix the place up? If no, I only see the downside.

Also, the tenant probably can't have impromptu parties with everyone back from the pub, but will the randomer really give a flying f**k about the rules?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Up the deposit to 3-4 months rent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Poeple talk about increased wear and tear but lets be honest here. The average Irish rental property has furniture worth about 500 quid all in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thomas D wrote: »
    Poeple talk about increased wear and tear but lets be honest here. The average Irish rental property has furniture worth about 500 quid all in.

You must be kidding me! In the case of "accidental " landlords most leave their furniture behind, can be worth thousands. Ours most certainly was

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thomas D wrote: »

I was looking at an insurance valuation for a neighbouring property, of 22k for water damage to furniture and fittings from a washing machine caused by a slow leak from a washing machine that the tenant never thought needed to be reported to the owner, only yesterday. A solid wood floor, leather suite, under floor heating and numerous other items were on the assessment list. The insurance assessor came up with a valuation of 22,300- the owner is arguing that he needs 30k to have full restitution of the property.

500 Euro? Lol.......

Certainly some properties may have cheap crap in them- but many many properties have features that you might not even consider- like a solid wood floor- or under floor wiring and piping- that might be easily damaged by water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

Do you vet the visitors who your tenant has to stay for the weekend now? How is this different?

Surely it's better for the tenant to be having paying guests via AirBnB than non paying randoms via couchsurfing (which they wouldn't need your permission for, BTW).

How hard is it to let a property in your location? What would happen if the tenant moved out, ie how hard would it be to re-let?

If the tenant wasn't going to be there, then I'd have a problem. But if they are, and they are taking on the job of assessing requests, and sleeping in the same house with the visitor, then they're taking a lot more risk than you.

(I'm a LL, btw, and a tenant. I would happily let me tenants take an extra flatmate if they had a spare bedroom to give them. And I wouldn't be vetting the person.)

Ah there's a world of a difference between a friend or relative of a tenant coming to stay for the weekend and a stream of internet randomers crashing in the place.
    I'd tell the OP to listen to his gut instinct.
    If he needs a flatmate to help pay the rent tell him to find one and nip this idea in the bud.

I dont think people realise how irresponsible people can be when there living or staying in a property thats not theirs,
    Iv seen apartments with €3000 damage and as said above problems not reported costing thousands,There are tenants out there who do care and really take care of there home but a lot that really dont give a s**t.

I would feel very uneasy about randomers letting at my property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Friends, faintly, flatmates, Monday to Friday lodgers.....they'll all treat the property with some kind of respect. Randomers off the internet paying cash to stay a night or two....completely different story. It's nothing more than a hotel room to them.

I'd echo previous posters and say that it's ok to go ahead and get a Flatmate or lodger....but not run an airbnb setup

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

I am a couchsurfing Ambassador.

I had about 300 random people sleep at my house from 40 countries over 6 years. Not one spot of trouble ever.

I had plenty of trouble with paying tenants over the same period.

People who are staying for free have more respect in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Run a mile.
    I'm a ll who has allowed, against my better judgement but for cash flow & sympathy reasons TWO different short-term rents ( & no deposit) - both were a disaster - one Oz & seperately one NZ girl a year later. Both did unbelievable amount if damage behind closed doors while appearing to be lovely but private down on their luck people. Burnt furniture, ( built in wardrobe -wtf), pizzas cut on wooden table surface - yes repeated nine inch scars- graffiti in freshly painted walls, food ( stew?) thrown on white wool carpets , red wine puddles - not to mention gas on all day & huge unpaid utility bills.
    At the end of the day as the LL you will be taking the hit not your tenant. And s/t lets are WAY more likely to pack your box set DVD's or " forget" to hand back the book they were reading ( yours) , or ornament that will make a great gift for their granny etc. I've had it all. AirBNB if you are in the house controlling it , managing a deposit & cleaning etc is quite one thing, but for you tenant to take all the income ( 40-100 per night standard) and expose you to all the risk is quite another. Run a mile.
    And, again from experience, in case of a big claim on your insurance, if you don't have specific tenant insurance it won't be covered. New floor anyone....

Advertisement