Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death of Athletics, the benefits?

• 10-07-2014 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this on letsrun;

http://www.paulcoover.com/2014/07/track-is-dead-and-thats-good-thing.html?spref=fb&m=1

Normally don't read too much into these types of articles as I have always been part of the brigade trying to promote the sport to the masses but I think there are some excellent points made here.

There has been no correlation between the rise in marathon running over the past decade and the rise in popularity of athletics. Membership numbers are at an all time high yet attendance levels at National Seniors and indeed Euro Team Championships were fairly abysmal.

Should the niche element be focused on to prevent tradition and the things which make the sport appealing to those of us who follow it. Success will breed the casual fans but other than that should the focus lie on those already with an interest?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ecoli wrote: »
    Saw this on letsrun;

http://www.paulcoover.com/2014/07/track-is-dead-and-thats-good-thing.html?spref=fb&m=1

Normally don't read too much into these types of articles as I have always been part of the brigade trying to promote the sport to the masses but I think there are some excellent points made here.

There has been no correlation between the rise in marathon running over the past decade and the rise in popularity of athletics. Membership numbers are at an all time high yet attendance levels at National Seniors and indeed Euro Team Championships were fairly abysmal.

Should the niche element be focused on to prevent tradition and the things which make the sport appealing to those of us who follow it. Success will breed the casual fans but other than that should the focus lie on those already with an interest?

I thnk the difference with the marathon and track is, the marathon caters for all, track caters for the fastest and forgets the lower levels, especially in Ireland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

I thnk the difference with the marathon and track is, the marathon caters for all, track caters for the fastest and forgets the lower levels, especially in Ireland!!

I don't think this is quite true. I think that's the perception for sure though. Athletics does have an almost elitist perception in many peoples eyes, particularly when looking at track and field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

The topic was not so much to do with participation but more general popularity as a sport but I take your point.

I wouldn't say that track forgets or ignores the lower levels,

In terms of races yes there are a few which have a minimum entry standard due to logistics (IMC races etc where 8 lanes on a track means only 8 can run in a race) but take a look at the likes of the graded meets who don't turn any athletes away yet the numbers are small due to lack of demand which again results in great disparity of levels down the fields.

The topic was not so much to do with participation but more general popularity as a sport but I take your point.

I wouldn't say that track forgets or ignores the lower levels,

In terms of races yes there are a few which have a minimum entry standard due to logistics (IMC races etc where 8 lanes on a track means only 8 can run in a race) but take a look at the likes of the graded meets who don't turn any athletes away yet the numbers are small due to lack of demand which again results in great disparity of levels down the fields.

I suppose on the popularity of the sport, drugs has done alot of damage. Also there is alot more runners from the African nations winning now and people in the West cant associate with them as much, not like Steve Cram, sonia, Paula etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think you have to start by accepting that athletics is not ever going to be as popular as team-based field sports. There is no simple marketing technique or change in meet format that is going to make a mass audience care as much about national championships as they do about a football match.
    So, when you rule that out, what is it we want to happen?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

i read on another thread the the d grade for the graded events in Dublin have been dropped. Doesn't exactly encourage participation on the lower end of things...

i read on another thread the the d grade for the graded events in Dublin have been dropped. Doesn't exactly encourage participation on the lower end of things...

mixing up cause and effect there I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

While I totally agree with not dumbing down the sport just to suit the masses, I think there are some simple small changes that could be made to make athletics meets more crowd friendly. Something as simple as having music playing between events makes a huge difference in terms of atmosphere. We could get the Jumping the Gun lads to do like commentary at all the big events, interviewing the athletes, getting to know their characters. Allow beer to be sold on the premises (a stereotype I know, but a few beers on a nice evening at the Morton Games would be awesome). None of these change to sport at all, but would merely make the event more enjoyable for the people who showed up.

Only in the 400m, D grade still available in most events.

amusing that so many of the comments on that article are
    "OMG! Metric?!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek:"

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    I think you have to start by accepting that athletics is not ever going to be as popular as team-based field sports. There is no simple marketing technique or change in meet format that is going to make a mass audience care as much about national championships as they do about a football match.
    So, when you rule that out, what is it we want to happen?

Golf is among the top 10 most watched sports in the world so obviously single player sports can have appeal to the masses from a fan based perspective.

Golf is among the top 10 most watched sports in the world so obviously single player sports can have appeal to the masses from a fan based perspective.

Yep, but the stars of golf are world wide and people can connect to them, its the opposite for Athletics

Yep, but the stars of golf are world wide and people can connect to them, its the opposite for Athletics

I would argue that

Take London Olympics for example with regards nations without great heritage in events doing well;

- An Iranian, Japanese and Carribean winning throwing medals
    - US, France and GB medalling in distance races
    - A Guatamalan winning a walks medal
    - A Grenandan winning the 400m
    - A white Australian winning a sprint event
    - A Colombian winning a jumps event
    - Ukrainians medaling in relay

You have athletes from all over the globe not only competiting but winning medals in events where there was no tradition, again I think perception and reality are a long way off

In terms of relatability also the most popular athletes in the world at the moment would probably be as follows

- A Jamaican sprinter
    - A Kenyan middle distance runner
    - A Croatia High Jumper
    - A Russian Pole Vaulter
    - A Ukranian High Jumper
    - A French Pole Vaulter
    - A British (Somalian) distance runner

To me that signifies that the character can transition beyond cultural background (not getting into another cultural debate though)

mixing up cause and effect there I think

Maybe I am. But you have to stop the downward spiral somewhere. The way to tackle poor participation is not to cut the number of events. I'd bet there is a few decent 400m runners who started out just giving th D grade race a go and have gone on to compete at a decent level, or at least enjoy those events. If that D race wasn't there would they have ran in the C grade?

Maybe I am. But you have to stop the downward spiral somewhere. The way to tackle poor participation is not to cut the number of events. I'd bet there is a few decent 400m runners who started out just giving th D grade race a go and have gone on to compete at a decent level, or at least enjoy those events. If that D race wasn't there would they have ran in the C grade?

I think they did, as far as I know they combined these athletes with the C grade and ran three races, I think it probably better to have full races than have 3 guys running in a D race on their own with lack of numbers.

I have seen it happen in sprints races where they had this happen before and 4 from the same club who train together ended up racing against each other and their response was "if we wanted a club time trial, we would have went training" so its a double edged sword

In terms of relatability also the most popular athletes in the world at the moment would probably be as follows

- A Jamaican sprinter
    - A Kenyan middle distance runner
    - A Croatia High Jumper
    - A Russian Pole Vaulter
    - A Ukranian High Jumper
    - A French Pole Vaulter
    - A British (Somalian) distance runner

To me that signifies that the character can transition beyond cultural background (not getting into another cultural debate though)

Yet most people would only know the sprinter and british runner!!
    Most of them have no connection with the people and another big thing, the best are afraid to race each other on the track often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭rom

Now I have never raced a bike and I think the last time I was on one was like 4 years ago. Now the Tour De France is on at the moment. I have never watched it before and I am glued to it. We have a thread on here about when meets are on TV. Often times where they are you have on the BBC someone blowing smoke up Paula for most of the commentary. You have the olympics every 4 years and everyone watches it and knows who is running etc. The world champs fall a bit flat in comparison. Commentary like JTG has given to some events recently been great. A long event it can get quite boring for someone like Jerry Kieran to tell us every single detail of an athlete. A lot of the reason why athletics is not a popular spectator sport is down to the production quality when it is on. I have watched too many marathons where there is no time clock or distance onscreen. How hard is to have this information coming from the leading bike?

Most of them have no connection with the people and another big thing, the best are afraid to race each other on the track often.

I think that's the point the article is making, with all the perceptional issues very few are going to be enticed into following the sport so is it not better to focus on the values which have attracted the current followers and accept it as a niche sport as opposed to trying to change to attract the general viewer.

That might be the case with big city marathons, but it's certainly not the case on the track. Look at the mens 5,000m at the Diamond League last week, it was stacked.

Also, what can the athletes do to "connect" with people? Tiger Woods is perhaps one of the biggest names in sport, but he's hardly known for his inter-personal skills.

• Advertisement

About 150,000 adult golfers in Ireland I think (and golf is only one step removed from watching TV anyway :-) )
    Maybe 25000 adult athletics club members, most of whom won't run track

First, C and D grades are nominal anyway. D does not mean 70 seconds plus, or any particular time. The weakest race is the weakest race, whether you call it C, D, or E.
    And the organisers can't make runners of a standard turn up. They would love to have a race of people running about 70 seconds, but if they aren't there they aren't there.

First, C and D grades are nominal anyway. D does not mean 70 seconds plus, or any particular time. The weakest race is the weakest race, whether you call it C, D, or E.
    And the organisers can't make runners of a standard turn up. They would love to have a race of people running about 70 seconds, but if they aren't there they aren't there.

Fair enough, I assumed each grade had a specific time zone. I suppose A and B would, with C being for all others...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you look in the golf forum you will see threads about clubs losing members and not attracting young people. A major reason being expense.
    A lot of it is down to accessibility too. How many people have access to a running track and field area in their locality?
    I think long term the parkrun movement will be a boon for athletics club memberships. It is free to take part in parkruns and they could be in every major town. People then tend to join
    clubs.
    Very few schools are involved in athletics with the exception of a sports day. So it is harder to draw in people.
    It would benefit athletics if there were county competitions as people who are not super talented still have an incentive to take part and win at their county grade. The community games has been very successful with this strategy but it is not available for adults. Many sports like GAA, soccer and rugby have Junior B and C teams to cater for the guy who is keen but not talented. All these guys will in turn give something back re coaching, becoming adminstrators or buying tickets in fundraising efforts.
    The lack of success of Irish athletes and drug issues don't help.
    Since Katie Taylor came on the scene there is a good few girls attending boxing clubs.
    All these things add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

I think that the Brits have worked really hard at marketing athletics to their advantage , and whilst it has yet to transfer into medals , it has transferred into a boost in the clubs, and attendance at Grand Prix. I love what they do at these big city races when they lay a special track and have sprints, hurdles, pole vaults etc. I don't expect The AAI to do that because we only have three big races ( marathon, rock and roll, and great irl run) but they are trying with kids races at the R&R and great ireland run. In the Uk they have also marketed Sportshall games fully to bring kids into the sport and if I am not mistaken they have some class of a 2hr all action track team competition for kids clubs that is very popular. I know they have more access to tracks etc , but we need to spice up track events , especially for kids. The days of people having the time to spend 4/5 , even 6 hours out in Santry waiting for their kids to run are well over. And it turns the parents off , never mind the kids. We need to be innovative and in fairness some clubs are really putting effort in , like Le Cheile a few weeks ago, and don't Greystones do something . The Morton Games is on tommorrow and how much publicity has there been . There is some serious talent out there tommorrow but how many will attend. Local interclub challenges, track talent identification days, come and try the shot putt or discus days, and many other ideas , should be the order of the day if we want to grow the 'track' side of our sport.

As an example, you can see the lack of interest in athletic discussion by the little interest that is generated by threads like this, on an athletics forum. WHat hope do we have with the general public! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

What kind of attendance would there have been at the Morton Games during the sixties and seventies (might have been called something different then)?
    Shocked last year by the contrast between the very high standard on the track and the very small numbers in the stadium. Before televised sport, I think it might have got a much bigger turnout?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

Re the graded meets, have been thinking of giving them a go but looking at previous results has not encouraged me. The standard is rather high but as another poster said, the interest is perhaps not there at lower levels. Suppose so what if I come last. I'm an ok club runner standard so makes me realise the large majority of club runners never race track. Even tinier % of non club runners of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I think its about having "stars"

Im going to the morton games later, but its more out of interest, guilt at loving running and NEVER been to a track meet of any kind [but been to many many other live sporting events in many cool places] and not to forget supporting a few folks from the club running..

But I bet when Sonia was at her peak the numbers taking part and going to watch were up on what they were now, folks joined in. Its like a soccer mad mate of mine called the Irish team we had a few years back "the jack charlton generation" ie: they got soccer mad watching Euro 88 and Italia 90 etc..

But the Jumping The Gun lads made a great point, that in his final year of school Cian Healy was Schools Shot and Discus Champion [and had national schools record in one I think?], but he was also a Schools Rugby international. His choice was rugby [so...fame, massive crowds, a world class support structure, a good wage, and anything he needs on tap] or T&F in Ireland [er...8 grand a year funding and no other support, ever?] - that must have been a hard one to pick :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

PVincent wrote: »
    I think that the Brits have worked really hard at marketing athletics to their advantage , and whilst it has yet to transfer into medals , it has transferred into a boost in the clubs, and attendance at Grand Prix. I love what they do at these big city races when they lay a special track and have sprints, hurdles, pole vaults etc. I don't expect The AAI to do that because we only have three big races ( marathon, rock and roll, and great irl run) but they are trying with kids races at the R&R and great ireland run.
    I think its about having "stars"

I'd agree with both here. Loads of kids at the Diamond League at the Olympic stadium last summer and nothing quite like a home Olympics with a few home medals to try and get people's attention, and at any event I've done with a kids race here they have been quite popular. Lots of kids would at least recognise Mo Farah and Usain Bolt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Looking at the Dublin Athletics page, it's not overly informative to someone who might be interested in trying out track for the first time. It's got an online entry, sure, but (for example): do you have to be a member of a club to compete? How do you decide on your grade? It's got a personal best field, but you can enter multiple events, which do you put in?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

pconn062 wrote: »
    While I totally agree with not dumbing down the sport just to suit the masses, I think there are some simple small changes that could be made to make athletics meets more crowd friendly. Something as simple as having music playing between events makes a huge difference in terms of atmosphere. We could get the Jumping the Gun lads to do like commentary at all the big events, interviewing the athletes, getting to know their characters. Allow beer to be sold on the premises (a stereotype I know, but a few beers on a nice evening at the Morton Games would be awesome). None of these change to sport at all, but would merely make the event more enjoyable for the people who showed up.
    Wasn't there a 10k event in the UK recently (Night of the 10,000 PBs?), where they hosted a number of 10k races on the track, and brought in some of the best 10k runners in the UK and Ireland (incl. Fionnuala Britton etc.)? They had their own branded beer, spectators were allowed on the track, so could get up close and personal, there was music and a party atmosphere and the whole thing was a huge success.

Just spotted a Tallaght AC and Kilkenny singlet in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That was on our local track, we were there - great craic if a bit cold!

(we still have a leftover can of London Pride from it in our fridge...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

About 150,000 adult golfers in Ireland I think (and golf is only one step removed from watching TV anyway :-) )
    Maybe 25000 adult athletics club members, most of whom won't run track

I'd agree with that. (That said many of the 25,000 can be further subdivided diluting the potential following)

On a different note, golf is only one game with one set of rules. Even people who don't play golf can follow it and enjoy it once they understand the rules. Easier for TV coverage to be more viewer friendly and sophisticated when its only one sport been covered.

Athletics is an umbrella for dozens of sports. Athletics coverage due to logistics has to be less sophisticated. Having to fit in multiple events at a meet means the coverage cant be TV oriented. Less cameras per sport obviously. This means that coverage isn't as exciting or intriguing for the neutral as even golf can be.

THe athletics connoisseur will be glued to the TV/track for the last 4 laps of a 5000m. The non-coinnosseur will only see a group endlessly lapping a large oval.

Middle distance Indoor meets with a small noisy track, high banks and with the crowd literally able to see moves, tactics, grunting and pain before their eyes..... were successful in the past. Even a neutral would get that.

Barring an ability to somehow change the logistics to make the sports more crowd and TV friendly id see increased interest only coming from an increase in the athletics population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

There are 2 separate issues being debated here-
    Participation in track and field
    Spectating at track and field

Driving participation doesn't necessarily mean an increase in spectators-
    Of the two issues- participation should be the easier nut to crack because we already have a large number of club members that don't do T&F. I'm one of those...... I'd love to have a go on the track but feel that I don't reach the base standards, however on a given 5km on the road I'd be somewhere in the top10-20% of the field.
    T&F events basically aren't marketed at joe soap club runner- there appears to be no event promotion, no serious drive to increase numbers of participants and no "try the track and field" event.

Increasing interest in T&F as a spectator sport is much more difficult because it's competing in a global market with events like the world cup, premiership, PGA golf, NBA, NFL. In some ways the easiest thing for the IAAF to do would be to hand the diamond league to Sky/ Fox for a year or two free gratis and let them build the market. There needs to be a completely coordinated and integrated marketing strategy delivered across channels, markets and segments. The athletes need to realise that they are the centre of the "business" and realise that they have to compete with each other in order to drive interest from spectators. How often do the marque names go head to head?

• Advertisement

things could be worse....
    swimming accounts for over 40% of activity undertaken by those over 40 years old

when was the last time there was swimming coverage on TV outside the Olympics? How many adults who swim have any connection to competitive swimming, or have ever been to a swim meet - except to see their kids swim? (Swim Ireland has about 13000 members, so about 1/3 that of athletics)

Badminton Ireland has 15,000 members. Tennis Ireland has 80,000 members, and I don't think I've ever seen Irish tennis on tv.

Wasn't there a 10k event in the UK recently (Night of the 10,000 PBs?), where they hosted a number of 10k races on the track, and brought in some of the best 10k runners in the UK and Ireland (incl. Fionnuala Britton etc.)? They had their own branded beer, spectators were allowed on the track, so could get up close and personal, there was music and a party atmosphere and the whole thing was a huge success.

Just spotted a Tallaght AC and Kilkenny singlet in the mix.

Exactly! Make an event of it, where you could treat it like a social occasion. I'm not talking about making it into a drink-fest but a bit more atmosphere with music helps a lot.

things could be worse....

when was the last time there was swimming coverage on TV outside the Olympics? How many adults who swim have any connection to competitive swimming, or have ever been to a swim meet - except to see their kids swim? (Swim Ireland has about 13000 members, so about 1/3 that of athletics)

Badminton Ireland has 15,000 members. Tennis Ireland has 80,000 members, and I don't think I've ever seen Irish tennis on tv.

But tennis gets great coverage on non irish channels that people have.
    Athletics gets feck all coverage, unless you have the bbc red button!!

But tennis gets great coverage on non irish channels that people have.
    Athletics gets feck all coverage, unless you have the bbc red button!!

Irish tennis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I've said it before, but how good would it be if we had this kind of event in Ireland:

3 day festival, lots of food and beers for sale, ladies day, betting, top athletes racing nobodies, good prize money, TV coverage.

• Advertisement

Irish tennis?

No, but tennis in general. Plus tennis is more accessible to kids in Ireland than Athletics.

I used to be a tennis coach. You have parks tennis every summer in local areas for kids from 4 up. You have constant competitions for kids on tennis all year round.

And no club will turn a kid away, unlike athletics.

No, but tennis in general. Plus tennis is more accessible to kids in Ireland than Athletics.

I used to be a tennis coach. You have parks tennis every summer in local areas for kids from 4 up. You have constant competitions for kids on tennis all year round.

Then how come we never see Irish tennis players even qualifying for grand slam events. I remember one in my lifetime of watching tennis, which began in 1995, a lad who was German, with an Irish parent (open to correction on specifics) who made the Oz Open last 64 a few years ago.

Tennis is the ultimate spectator sport in Ireland, in that half the country watches Wimbledon, and many watch the other 3 slams, most people can name a fair few tennis players etc etc, yet the standard of Irish tennis is so incredibly bad.

Athletics has many issues, but you picked a bad sport to compare it to.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Then how come we never see Irish tennis players even qualifying for grand slam events. I remember one in my lifetime of watching tennis, which began in 1995, a lad who was German, with an Irish parent (open to correction on specifics) who made the Oz Open last 64 a few years ago.

Tennis is the ultimate spectator sport in Ireland, in that half the country watches Wimbledon, and many watch the other 3 slams, most people can name a fair few tennis players etc etc, yet the standard of Irish tennis is so incredibly bad.

Athletics has many issues, but you picked a bad sport to compare it to.

We had a person at the australian slam this year and a person in wimbledon last year.

We weren't comparing quality of the sport against each other but instead the numbers in the sport and why is it higher in tennis.

Also in fairness there is more events in Athletics than tennis.

We had a person at the australian slam this year and a person in wimbledon last year.

We weren't comparing quality of the sport against each other but instead the numbers in the sport and why is it higher in tennis.

Also in fairness there is more events in Athletics than tennis.

Did we have somebody in the main draw for Men's singles or Women's singles? Or was it just somebody who took part in the qualification rounds? I'd wager it was the latter.

The rankings don't lie. I did a quick search on the WTA website and there is just one woman in the singles rankings, at 582. On the ATP side it's a bit better with 6 in the rankings, the highest being 217. There seems to be just one woman in the WTA doubles rankings at around the 1100 mark. The highest doubles ATP ranking for Ireland is a more respectable 153.

If there are really more kids involved in tennis than in athletics in this country then I'd seriously question the standards of coaching and the setup. I did tennis in secondary school for 6 years, once a week. I won't mention the coach, but it was a bit of a farce. We played the same group game where you have a certain amount of lives blah blah every week and there was rarely any actual coaching. Most people only went for the pure craic of it.

Personally I'd rather be in Irish athletics situation than that of Irish tennis.

Did we have somebody in the main draw for Men's singles or Women's singles? Or was it just somebody who took part in the qualification rounds? I'd wager it was the latter.

The rankings don't lie. I did a quick search on the WTA website and there is just one woman in the singles rankings, at 582. On the ATP side it's a bit better with 6 in the rankings, the highest being 217. There seems to be just one woman in the WTA doubles rankings at around the 1100 mark. The highest doubles ATP ranking for Ireland is a more respectable 153.

If there are really more kids involved in tennis than in athletics in this country then I'd seriously question the standards of coaching and the setup. I did tennis in secondary school for 6 years, once a week. I won't mention the coach, but it was a bit of a farce. We played the same group game where you have a certain amount of lives blah blah every week and there was rarely any actual coaching. Most people only went for the pure craic of it.

Personally I'd rather be in Irish athletics situation than that of Irish tennis.

It was the main draw for both slams.

As i said, we werent comparing the success of both sports, but the numbers in both sports.

Problem with tennis is, the better you get it costs you alot more to go further. We have top quality indoor courts in Ireland, long before we had a top quality indoor athletics tracks. We have great outdoor courts all over the country, the same can't be said for athletics.

What you did at school wasn't coaching, it was games for kids. I know what coaching is, what is needed for it and trust me the money a tennis coach makes out of it at a local club, is alot more than an athletics coach at a local club.

Used to get 120 a session, do 4 sessions a week and I was only 16.

Have to disagree with both of your points there. Athletics has to be one of the most accessible sports for kids in Ireland, you don't need any facilities or gear, except maybe a field to run around (unlike tennis where you need courts, rackets etc).

And also, I have never heard of an athletics club turning away kids, I am familiar with all the athletics clubs in my county and they have kids of all sizes and abilities, and would never dream of turning away a child. That's a pretty damning claim on your behalf and you would near proof to back it up.

Have to disagree with both of your points there. Athletics has to be one of the most accessible sports for kids in Ireland, you don't need any facilities or gear, except maybe a field to run around (unlike tennis where you need courts, rackets etc).

And also, I have never heard of an athletics club turning away kids, I am familiar with all the athletics clubs in my county and they have kids of all sizes and abilities, and would never dream of turning away a child. That's a pretty damning claim on your behalf and you would near proof to back it up.

There is waiting lists for clubs in dublin!!!

Tennis is the ultimate spectator sport in Ireland, in that half the country watches Wimbledon, and many watch the other 3 slams,

Which is like saying athletics is a big spectator sport in Ireland, because everyone watches the Olympics. What is the attendance at the Irish national tennis championships? What kind of tv coverage does it get?
    And also, I have never heard of an athletics club turning away kids,

39 kids on our waiting list. We're not turning kids away because of lack of talent, but because we don't have the space and the coaches to take them in :(

39 kids on our waiting list. We're not turning kids away because of lack of talent, but because we don't have the space and the coaches to take them in :(

Yeah, I get that now. The way it was initially phrased made it sound like clubs were rejecting kids based on talent on physique. Clearly the demand for athletics is higher than the demand for tennis!

28064212 wrote: »
    Looking at the Dublin Athletics page, it's not overly informative to someone who might be interested in trying out track for the first time. It's got an online entry, sure, but (for example): do you have to be a member of a club to compete? How do you decide on your grade? It's got a personal best field, but you can enter multiple events, which do you put in?

You do need to be a member of a club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement