Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Treated very unfairly in new employment, advice much appreciated.

Options
  • 10-07-2014 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm hoping someone around these forums may be able to hear me out and give any advice in relation to it.

Okay, I have been applying for jobs in my area (which are quite scarce at the minute) for months now and I sent my CV in response to an ad on one of the jobs websites. The ad was by a recruitment agency looking for a "gateman" on site nearby.
    Later that day I get a call from the guy who runs the agency telling me I have the job if I can start tomorrow night. He asks if I have a safepass or any security ticket and I said I only have a safepass and he says that'll do. I was delighted, I thought finally i've got back to work!
    I did two nights, two 12 hour shifts and was told my hours would be like that, Sunday to Friday and off Saturday then when i'm speaking to the guy next he says, "Oh, we don't need ya now, we've got someone else", just like that! Now, if it was a case of me being lazy I would more understanding but I did the work I was supposed to and more along with it.

So then for two days I try and get in contact with the man, to see what is really going on here and he totally ignores my calls. The second day a lady in the office answers (his mobile) and says, "he's not here now, he should be back tomorrow and i'll get him to ring ya".

I really feel hard done by here after having my hopes up like that and am wondering what do I do about it?

Anyone who could share some helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Sadly theirs nothing you can do about it, your only their 2 days
    you need to be working at least a year before you can actually do anything about it

that guy seemed like a d*ck to be honest for doing that to a person. Take it as a blessing because now you found out what hes like and you don't have to work under him for god knows how long

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Work86

Thanks for the reply.

Surely there is something that can be done to him. I don't mean for compensation or anything but he told me I had a job and I had started it. Surely he is breaking the law by then just saying, oh we don't need ya now and the ad says 5 months work? I have to have rights, regardless of being there 2 years or 2 days.

A serious injustice to myself either way because it was such a blow to be told that after being so happy that something finally came muy way. I'm disgusted in fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Did u get paid for the two days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

He's probably doing the very same thing to the poor sap who's come along after you...

Look - the job's gone for whatever reason. And I'm afraid what happened to you is legal. You can be fired for no reason up to six months (I think - someone will correct me, I'm sure). Just make sure that you get what's owed and leave it at that. FWIW I think you've dodged a bullet there from what you've said. Leaving them is no loss.

It's horrible what happened, but pick yourself up and dust down. Onwards and upwards!

Good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Name and shame that agency, agencies are scum in my eyes

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your answers guys.

Yes, I got paid and have a payslip for the two days. The job was badly needed and after being told there's work there til near christmas, i'm told they don't need me now.

So a worker has no rights until they're six months in a job?? I find that hard to believe. I know I have nothing to gain from any of this but I want some action taken towards this company. There has to be some law that prevents employees from being used like that.
    I even cancelled my sign on because I was told I have work for 5 months, now I am not even eligible for the back to education which was my intention before this, to do a college course as no job had materialized.

I just really don't wanna let this lye. They have someone else hired since and the fact I was given no reason AT ALL and my phone calls simply ignored since makes me even more frustrated but SURELY they can not do this, just tell me we don't need ya anymore and get a new guy in just like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Work86 wrote: »
    So a worker has no rights until they're six months in a job?? I find that hard to believe. I know I have nothing to gain from any of this but I want some action taken towards this company. There has to be some law that prevents employees from being used like that.

Workers have some rights at all times - they can't beat you with sticks, make you work a million hours a week, keep your passport, torture you.

However, until you've been there 13 weeks, there is no minimum notice period. It's unpleasant for you, but they haven't done anything illegal.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/unemployment_and_redundancy/losing_your_job/losing_job_entitlements.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I even cancelled my sign on because I was told I have work for 5 months, now I am not even eligible for the back to education which was my intention before this, to do a college course as no job had materialized.
    Do you have any paperwork or any way to back up this claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Are you sure you've lost your eligibility for the BTEA? Make an appointment with someone in the social welfare office when you go to sign back on, and explain the situation to them, and ask what the situation is. Ask if 2 days employment is considered casual work, which may leave you able to just restart your claim where you finished. If there's a citizen's advice bureau near you, drop into them first - they may be able to help you ask the right questions in the social welfare office.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

So a worker has no rights until they're six months in a job??
    Incorrect. They can sack you on a whim within the first 12 months. After the 12 months, they have to give a reason.
    Talk to your social welfare person, and see if the company has a reputation for this carry-on, as I doubt you'll have been the first. Ask nicely, and you may receive :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Op tell us who they are

Thanks guys, guess there's damn all possible then. Samrock55, I won't name and shame yet because I am waiting to get in direct contact with the man himself rather than him avoiding me calls at all costs.

I want him to just hear my side of this and say it as it is. It was a real injustice to me to be used like that and that the least he could do would be to try and accomodate me in some sort of other position nearby.

The man is famous countrywide also and I will do my damndest to blacken his name if nothing materializes form all this but until then I won't mention names. Hopefully he has some conscience and will try make up for it before I lose the plot altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭LeBash

I got BTEA after working for 2 months before it. Got an appointment in the social welfare office. Explained i was accepted for college course but got offered a job for 2 months.

The guy was said no problem and sorted everything there. There was a short delay in me getting the allowence of 2 weeks and i was asked in for an interview. I explianed everything and the guy said "fair play for not sitting on you backside".

So i wouldnt be overly worried as they will use disgression.

Might be worth asking for a letter from the company not outlining why you were let go but that "they were of the opinion" there was 5 months work and it fell through.

LeBash wrote: »
    I got BTEA after working for 2 months before it. Got an appointment in the social welfare office. Explained i was accepted for college course but got offered a job for 2 months.

The guy was said no problem and sorted everything there. There was a short delay in me getting the allowence of 2 weeks and i was asked in for an interview. I explianed everything and the guy said "fair play for not sitting on you backside".

So i wouldnt be overly worried as they will use disgression.

Might be worth asking for a letter from the company not outlining why you were let go but that "they were of the opinion" there was 5 months work and it fell through.

But the fact it didn't fall through, he basically just ignored me, never gave any reason, won't answer my calls, hired someone else in my place and i worked solid through the two 12 hour shifts.

Reassuring to hear you got it sorted though.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thanks guys, guess there's damn all possible then. Samrock55, I won't name and shame yet
    Your post will be edited if you do so, and if you continue to try to name him, you'll be banned. This is to avoid boards.ie getting sued.

the_syco wrote: »
    Your post will be edited if you do so, and if you continue to try to name him, you'll be banned. This is to avoid boards.ie getting sued.

That's sound, cheers for informing me.

Advertisement