Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Board-specific user tags?

Options
  • 10-07-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭

Hi chaps,

In times past, we had quite a tight-knit community, and everyone was generally aware who everyone else was. Nowadays, the number of new faces popping up makes it difficult to actually keep track of who's who and what's what.

A small proposal to help posters better get to know (and remember) each user would be to add a forum-specific, user-configurable tag for posters, below their username. Some examples of uses from forums I subscribe to below:

Soccer/GGA/Rugby forums:
    "Liverpool fan" - Difficult to keep track of all the tribalism, so wouldn't it be nice if you could see at a glance their allegiance underneath each username?

Motors forum:
    "Fiat owner", "Diesel owner", etc would give a whole weight of context to people's posts recommending cars, mechanics, etc.

Politics forum:
    "Pinko leftie" - Users could display their position on the political compass, their constituency, or their preferred political party

Games:
    "Playstation player" - Users could display their preferred gaming platform, or their Xbox Live, PSN ID... If a user is recommending a particular game, it's nice to know what platform they've been playing it on

Fantasy Sports Arena:
    Users could display their Fantasy Football team ID

Dublin County North:
    "Donabate dweller" - Users can display their town within North County Dublin

Android:
    "Galaxy S3 owner" -- handy for troubleshooting issues, recommending apps, etc

This is handy for the posters, because they can quickly establish context and build relationships with other posters in busy forums. It's also useful for boards, because it gives you a whole wealth of (opt-in!) data which could be used to guide the website's direction, and shared with advertisers (boo!).
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

What if I'm an Iphone,xbox owning nazi that owns a fiat and follows Liverpool. Do they all go under my name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

ken wrote: »
    What if I'm an Iphone,xbox owning nazi that owns a fiat and follows Liverpool. Do they all go under my name.

The idea would be, when you're on the Apple forum, it'd display "iPhone owner", when you're on the Games forum, it'd display "Xbox gamer", and so on...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why would I want it known I drive a petrol Mazda, support Munster, use an iPhone, and drink spirits? I'd rather not be categorised frankly. Why would anybody?

"He supports spurs therefore his opinion doesn't matter on the Suarez bite"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

MugMugs wrote: »
    "He supports spurs therefore his opinion doesn't matter"

Fixed that for you :pac:

(I know, as a Leeds fan I can talk)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

MugMugs wrote: »
    Why would I want it known I drive a petrol Mazda, support Munster, use an iPhone...
    Surely every iPhone owner wants everyone else to know that they have one? I thought that was the point.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I can only imagine the hamster carnage implementing this would cause.

Of course subscribing gives people the option to change their tagline, albeit the same in every forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Hi chaps,

In times past, we had quite a tight-knit community, and everyone was generally aware who everyone else was. Nowadays, the number of new faces popping up makes it difficult to actually keep track of who's who and what's what.

A small proposal to help posters better get to know (and remember) each user would be to add a forum-specific, user-configurable tag for posters, below their username. Some examples of uses from forums I subscribe to below:

Soccer/GGA/Rugby forums:
    "Liverpool fan" - Difficult to keep track of all the tribalism, so wouldn't it be nice if you could see at a glance their allegiance underneath each username?

Motors forum:
    "Fiat owner", "Diesel owner", etc would give a whole weight of context to people's posts recommending cars, mechanics, etc.

Politics forum:
    "Pinko leftie" - Users could display their position on the political compass, their constituency, or their preferred political party

Games:
    "Playstation player" - Users could display their preferred gaming platform, or their Xbox Live, PSN ID... If a user is recommending a particular game, it's nice to know what platform they've been playing it on

Fantasy Sports Arena:
    Users could display their Fantasy Football team ID

Dublin County North:
    "Donabate dweller" - Users can display their town within North County Dublin

Android:
    "Galaxy S3 owner" -- handy for troubleshooting issues, recommending apps, etc

This is handy for the posters, because they can quickly establish context and build relationships with other posters in busy forums. It's also useful for boards, because it gives you a whole wealth of (opt-in!) data which could be used to guide the website's direction, and shared with advertisers (boo!).

I think the OP might be a BOY!!! :eek::eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ah, but who is to say people would tell the truth in their taglines?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oryx wrote: »
    Ah, but who is to say people would tell the truth in their taglines?

Shame on anyone who'd do something like that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I don't really like labels and I think this is just the point of this.

Interesting idea though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It's not entirely without merit, but would be all kinds of stress to implement. I will however stick it on the suggestions list.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,114 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not an entirely new idea, it's something thats been asked for to distinguish which mods mod where, better. So outside of a forum you mod you would not appear as a mod on your user card.

Advertisement