Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letter lost/stolen in post from Ireland to UK.

Options
  • 10-07-2014 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

A letter was sent from Sligo, Ireland to Canterbury, UK last Tuesday 1st July with my current address on it. It was sent by standard mail, not registered post.

The letter has not been delivered as of today, 10th July.

My question is, how can enquire into where it has gone? Would my best bet be to contact An Post? The Royal Mail? Both?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A letter was sent from Sligo, Ireland to Canterbury, UK last Tuesday 1st July with my current address on it. It was sent by standard mail, not registered post.

The letter has not been delivered as of today, 10th July.

My question is, how can enquire into where it has gone? Would my best bet be to contact An Post? The Royal Mail? Both?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Did you post it? If you did contact An Post and see if they can find it. Did you put the correct price for posting to the UK? I read that if you don't pay the correct postage it gets delayed but will be delivered.

If you didn't post it you have to get the person who did to contact An Post as you have no contract with An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

If it was anything important, you should have sent it with tracking.
    In my experience, it's rare to lose a letter between Ireland and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Since it is not registered, there is no tracking. It could have gone anywhere, and there would be no trace/record of it.

You can ask An Post or Royal Mail, but I doubt either will have any answer for you at all.

Best advice - it's gone, so move on. Sorry. It may turn up at some stage.

Was it a letter or a card, like a Birthday card? I've had experience of Birthday cards disappearing between here and UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Fuzzy wrote: »
    If it was anything important, you should have sent it with tracking.
    In my experience, it's rare to lose a letter between Ireland and the UK.

Hindsight is 20:20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What size was it and what postage did you put on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHPhoto

Could be anywhere. I have often got post delivered to my house that was for a different address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

if address was not clear and the FULL and correct 6 letter/digit postal code was not on it, it could simply be delayed.

Postal systems use automated readers that sort letters - if address is not written clearly, it gets sorted by hand - and that where mistakes get made which cause delays. In most case the postal code is the most important part of the address - it ensures the local post delivery person gets the letter and they will usually be able to decipher everything else in the address. In the UK a maximum of 80 addresses will have the same postcode - in rural areas it can be as low as 10!

So if you did not have full postcode - it probably has just been delayed.

Advertisement