Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Forged/Stolen logbook/registration cert

Options
  • 10-07-2014 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Awkward family situation here where logbook for Relations car was taken by one of his sons and according to Vehicle Transaction Enquiry on www.motortax.ie shows that the "car" changed ownership last month.

The car is still in Relations possession and still insured by him. He only realized today that he couldn't find the logbook as he intends travelling to the UK for a few days with family.
    It looks as if the logbook was forged to allow the change of ownership.

Relation is currently in poor health and logbook appears to have been taken so that son could "claim" the car if Relations health deteriorates.

Any idea what can be done here?
    Can he report the logbook as stolen to the Gardai?
    How can he prove that he didn't sell/give the car as it currently would look?

Thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Had your relation signed the logbook? A forged signature would be evidence of the crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Report to Gardai and contact dept of transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

pippip wrote: »
    Had your relation signed the logbook? A forged signature would be evidence of the crime.

I don't know to be honest.

I'm just trying to figure out what the options are - he's an older man in his late 70's and doesn't want to fall-out with family at this stage in his life.

I pointed out to him that his insurance is probably null & void now that the "car" is no longer in his name - not a good situation when he uses the car daily!

I've told him that he needs to go and explain the situation to the Gardai at his local station and see what they advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Go to the local Garda station, quick call to the Dept of Transport before that to get some details.

As for the "son" - *let him rot in jail if you ask me.

*I do understand that family affairs might not be as simple as we think, ask him to get this sorted, return the logbook / money for the car, or - as above - let him rot.

The father should make sure his son won't get a penny of his estate in the future. Stories like this make me sick tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"Keep the car, you grasping bastard. Pity it's not an estate, because that's the only part of my estate you will ever see."

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I've told him that he needs to speak to the Gardai/Dept of Transport/Solicitor so its really up to him now.

Unfortunately said son has already been given the house years ago as they lived together
    The car was probably going to end up going to this son anyway
    - its just the fact that it was "taken" like this by way of the logbook.
    - the car was the only thing of any value he still owned and this has left him very hurt.

I'd report the son myself but I can't see that helping much as I'd be causing war between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

It's sad how siblings can turn on their parents when they get old. My girlfriends sister actually complained to their mother that the mother was 'spending her inheritance'....

I've always told my mother she can spend every last penny she has and to enjoy doing it.

It's sad how siblings can turn on their parents when they get old. My girlfriends sister actually complained to their mother that the mother was 'spending her inheritance'....

I've always told my mother she can spend every last penny she has and to enjoy doing it.

I'm exactly the same with my parents, they've been told not to worry about leaving us anything - at least they're enjoying their old age, they've worked long & hard enough for it!

Advertisement