Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barna Recycling completely useless?

Options
  • 10-07-2014 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭

Anyone else in the knocknacarra area having trouble with barna waste..??
    They decided to change their collection days recently to all bins every two weeks.
    I didn't think this would mean no collection at all for the last month....! Completely useless service despite a couple of phone calls and being promised they would collect.... What do you do with bins overflowing and no sign of collection...???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I am with Barna Waste also and not any problems since they changed to the two weeks collection of both bins, its exactly the same as on bin one week and the other the following week, all of my bins have been collected on time since the change over, one thing about them is they are very good at picking up on the collection day never had a bin not picked up. I'm in Newcastle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

I've also not had a problem (north eastern outskirts of the city). We actually made out because when they switched to the new two week schedule we had had all three bins collected including the two that had been emptied only a week previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Love to know how exactly they segregate the rubbish in the trucks when they collect both bins???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Naux wrote: »
    Love to know how exactly they segregate the rubbish in the trucks when they collect both bins???

3 compartments in the truck

3 compartments in the truck
    Barna actually send two trucks on the same day; one for compost and a second with two compartments for recyclables and landfill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Anyone know which is cheaper? We're with Barna waste but everyone else in our cul de sac is with the other crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

We recently switched from Barna Waste to City Bin and are very happy with the service so far. City Bin are much cheaper and send you a text the night before collection to remind you which bin to put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Barna are the best in Galway by a mile. Never had a problem with them when living in Salthill and then out in Knocknacarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

Dont know why anyone would pay the high charges of Barna Waste when city bin are more reliable and much cheaper, changed to them about 5 years ago and am delighted with the service.

karen89 wrote: »
    Dont know why anyone would pay the high charges of Barna Waste when city bin are more reliable and much cheaper, changed to them about 5 years ago and am delighted with the service.
    A) There are parts of the city that City Bin does not serve but Barna Recylcing does.
    B) Last time I compared whether City Bin are cheaper or not depends on how much waste you produce. For example a small household eating out a lot might be better off with City Bin but a large household with young children might be better off with Barna Recycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭colettew

Hi,
    Anyone know if we have to put any bins out tomorrow morning in Lower Salthill? If so is it all of them or just the recycling and food bin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I'm with City Bin for more than 10 years and the service works like clockwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kirsten Sassoon

UsBus wrote: »
    Anyone else in the knocknacarra area having trouble with barna waste..??
    They decided to change their collection days recently to all bins every two weeks.
    I didn't think this would mean no collection at all for the last month....! Completely useless service despite a couple of phone calls and being promised they would collect.... What do you do with bins overflowing and no sign of collection...???

Yes, I have had the same problem. My normal collection day was a Friday. They sent me a letter saying my waste would all be collected on the same day starting on Thursday 26 June. They didn't come (but they did come on the next day.) Since then I have not had my bins emptied. I have emailed twice, with no reply; I have tried to telephone but it wasn't answered. Then I managed to get an answerphone, left a message but nobody called me back. It's very frustrating - my brown bin stinks and has flies and maggots! I have had to spray it with bleach solution.

UsBus, will you let us know if your bins have now been collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kirsten Sassoon

I managed to get through to Barna Waste and they had given me the wrong calendar for collection. I put all my bins out last night and the Landfill and Recycling were collected at 7 am today, followed by the compost at 9.45 am.

Still annoyed that it took so long to sort out (bins not collected for a month)- it was them that sent out the wrong information, yet they didn't seem particularly eager to sort it out.

Hopefully, the problem is sorted now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Tilikum

Just looking at my Dad's bill here. It's saying he owes €73.38

01/09/14 - 31/12/14

How can they charge before they've even collected bins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Tilikum wrote: »
    Just looking at my Dad's bill here. It's saying he owes €73.38

01/09/14 - 31/12/14

How can they charge before they've even collected bins?

Standing charge similar to the ESB

Advertisement