Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping off at Airport????

• 10-07-2014 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Does anyone know if its possible for someone to just drive up to the main entrance of Shannon Airport and drop their passenger and bags off and just drive out again?
    Do they have to park in the short stay car park just to drop someone off?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 ShroomCrusader

Yes, you can do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Can you still do thst at Shannon. From what I've seen there is an intercom to get near the door everyone has access 15 minute free parking though. Don't need to get ticket validated if it's in the 15 mins

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 ShroomCrusader

Jhcx wrote: »
    Can you still do thst at Shannon. From what I've seen there is an intercom to get near the door everyone has access 15 minute free parking though. Don't need to get ticket validated if it's in the 15 mins

well about a year ago I remember dropping off nan and just waited in the car while she got her bags and herself and went in.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You used to be able to just pull up and let people off could be a nightmare at times though with buses and people pulling out, couple that with people parking in the drop off section while waiting for people to arrive. Now you have to go into the car park, but the first 15 minutes are free

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Clareman wrote: »
    You used to be able to just pull up and let people off could be a nightmare at times though with buses and people pulling out, couple that with people parking in the drop off section while waiting for people to arrive. Now you have to go into the car park, but the first 15 minutes are free

The airport have created a new drop off area at the top of the short term car park. The front of the terminal is reserved for bus and authorized permit holders. Enter at the short term barrier, take your ticket, as said above you have 15mins free and put ticket back in to the machine on your way out at the other side and the barrier will lift no need to validate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Indeed as above you must take a ticket and go to car park but 15 min free just put ticket straight into exit barrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Go in and drop off...youll be grand, eff the ticket... its hardly JFK :)

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Go in and drop off...youll be grand, eff the ticket... its hardly JFK :)

Not possible anymore....they've put a barrier up so it's not possible to pull up in front of terminal anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Not possible anymore....they've put a barrier up so it's not possible to pull up in front of terminal anymore
    Balls, cheers for the heads up

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

From the Shannon Airport website:-

"People meeting arriving passengers must park in the short-term car park. Please do not arrange to be picked up outside the terminal building."

So bring your smartphone, track the inbound flight, park somewhere to watch it land maybe, and then wait 10 mins. Drive into the short term car park and pick up pax there. Bingo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

From the Shannon Airport website:-

"People meeting arriving passengers must park in the short-term car park. Please do not arrange to be picked up outside the terminal building."

So bring your smartphone, track the inbound flight, park somewhere to watch it land maybe, and then wait 10 mins. Drive into the short term car park and pick up pax there. Bingo.

Or park up, go in and have a coffee and pay the couple of euro for parking, don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of spending my own money, but sometimes you can just take the hit, considering the person coming in has spent a couple of hundred euro to come in the price of parking isn't the biggest expense.

Could be worse indeed- some UK airports charge £4 to simply pull up to let people off, no free time allowance at all...!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Clareman wrote: »

That.
    Just follow the signs for short term parking.
    If you drive up to the terminal building the way to the terminal is blocked by a barrier that says "Authorised Entry Only" (or something about coaches and taxis), easily recognised by always being blocked by confused cars that drive up to the barrier and start arguing with the intercom "Ah Jaysus, I will only be a minute! What you mean I can't? I've been doing this for years!"
    Veer right to the short term car park, get a ticket and you're good for 15 minutes.
    Picking up is more difficult to time, but it's only 2 or 3 Euro, I forget, but nothing too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Let them walk down to the first roundabout and collect them there as you drive around.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

buck65 wrote: »
    Let them walk down to the first roundabout and collect them there as you drive around.

Also a handy one, the roundabout with the tail fin in it, just beside some industrial units. Easy to stop there and only a short walk from the terminal building.