Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding booked inwaterside house hotel HELP!

Options
  • 10-07-2014 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have my wedding booked in the waterside hous e hotel for the end of the year, today I was informed that the hotel has gone into receivership, the hotel is claiming business as usual but it all seems a bit odd, the hotel has gone down hill in recent months and now I'm very nervous. Have any of you got bookings in this hotel or been in a similar situation ?? What should I do?? HELP!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The hotel's probably going to be run as a going concern. Do you know who the receivers are? I'd check that first.

If you still want the wedding at that venue? Get written assurances (from the receiver) that your wedding has been booked and will be going ahead.

If not? The deposit's probably gone. Check the contract over carefully. The contracts probably says the deposit is non-refundable...
    Do you have wedding insurance? You can claim against that if you have, and find another venue that you'd be more comfortable with.

Hope this helps!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Lots of hotels are in receivership and still operating. Don't worry until there is something to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHPhoto

Probably best to speak to the hotel and ask them exactly what the situation is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

PwC have been appointed as receivers and Choice Hotels will run the two hotels in receivership (Waterside and Kilmessan Station House hotel). The hotels will be run as a going concern according to the article I read recently, which means that your wedding should proceed as planned.

If you are unsure, contact the hotel and talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭megan2013

I guess just call the hotel directly and ask them. Sure, half the hotels in the country are either in receivership or with Nama and continue business as normal.

• Advertisement

If the Choice Hotel Group is the management company I would not worry too much. They are very professional and will definitely look after this for you.

They are in examinership now instead. Check the Station House Hotel website for the announcement. Choice Hotels seem to have left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mrstobe2

megan2013 wrote: »
    They are in examinership now instead. Check the Station House Hotel website for the announcement. Choice Hotels seem to have left.

Thanks for the update, I just checked the website. They are saying business as usual, should I trust this or should I make other arrangements? I really don't know what to do? If anyone else is in the same situation? What are you doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

mrstobe2 wrote: »
    Thanks for the update, I just checked the website. They are saying business as usual, should I trust this or should I make other arrangements? I really don't know what to do? If anyone else is in the same situation? What are you doing?

Have you called the hotel? First step I would have thought

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 mrstobe2

athtrasna wrote: »
    Have you called the hotel? First step I would have thought

Yes, there organising meetings for next week, my concern would be that they would tell me what they know I want to hear and also how much will the staff know?? They may not know if the hotel will survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

If they are in examinership see if you can find out how long they have that status for. It's unlikely that a business will voluntarily wind up within that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/07/15/4031483-slatterys-reinstated-at-station-house/

Chris and Thelma Slattery, owners of The Station House Hotel in Kilmessan and The Waterside House Hotel, Donabate, Co Dublin, have issued a statement confirming that the recent uncertainty that has arisen over the business has now been resolved.

The Slattery family has been fully reinstated into both hotels as of 10th July 2014.

Last week, joint receivers were appointed to the hotels and Choice Hotel Group were appointed to manage the hotels, saying it was business as usual.
    On Tuesday, Ken Tyrrell and Declan McDonald from PwC were appointed as Joint Receivers to the hotels, continuing to trade as normal.

On Thursday, an interim examiner was appointed to the company and an Order directing the joint receivers and managers of the company, Declan McDonald and Ken Tyrrell of PwC to cease to act was issued.

The courts appointed examiner Jason Sheehy to assist the company in their financial restructuring and the Slatterys say that but it is business as usual.
    “We would like to thank all our loyal customers and suppliers for their continued support and we apologise for any inconvenience caused,” they say.
    Both hotels are popular local venues with established wedding businesses. They are also renowned as strong employers in the local communities.

The Slattery family built up a strong business at the Station House over the past three decades, on the site of the former Railway Station in Kilmessan, and in recent years acquired the north Dublin establishment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Our hotel was in receivership for our wedding. Everything ran like clockwork, no hassle or worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 efar

Hi Mrs2be2

I would be interested to know what you decided, if you don't mind. We have our wedding in the Station House this time next year and are very unsure what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shellymce

mrstobe2 wrote: »
    I have my wedding booked in the waterside hous e hotel for the end of the year, today I was informed that the hotel has gone into receivership, the hotel is claiming business as usual but it all seems a bit odd, the hotel has gone down hill in recent months and now I'm very nervous. Have any of you got bookings in this hotel or been in a similar situation ?? What should I do?? HELP!!

Hi

I'm the same, my wedding is in 2 weeks in the waterside and I have been treated so badly by the receptionist <SNIP> today. And 4 months ago I sent 5 emails and 3 calls to the hotel to speak with <SNIP> the general manager and every time I was told she was with someone and will phone back, but she never did, I eventually got a hold of her and she was clearly put out by my call and when I asked her if she had time to speak to me she responded 'yeah I have 2 minutes to talk to you' I was so shocked and told her she needed to find the time to talk to me as what I wanted to say to her was going to take longer than 2 minutes. I told her I was so upset at how I had been spoken to and, not to mention 3 wedding coordinators walked out and the hotel told no one!!! I am 2 weeks away from my wedding and spend today in tears because of the way the waterside treated me. I am getting married peak season on a sat so over 10 grand being spend and they are as rude as they come. I'm a very upset bride to be who is dreading getting married here!

It's too late to do anything now, but try to relax and hope for the best. Given that the venue is now in receivership, perhaps the attitude of the staff isn't that surprising. Wrong, I know, but understandable.

Put EVERYTHING in writing to the venue now. Don't call any more. Make an appointment to see the co-ordinator and ask that the duty manager assigned to your wedding be present at the meeting. Take in a list of questions and requests, and make sure the meeting is memorialised by you in the form of a follow-up e-mail. Get read receipts of the mail if you can.

That's about all you can do now. Oh - and after the wedding? Nuke 'em on Trip Advisor! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Thankfully would never happen here. I'd personally bring a horse through main reception. That or do that School boy urban myth of two pigs with 1 and 3 painted on their backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Wow that's weird, I never knew the Station House in Kilmessan owned the Waterside in Donabate. Sure they're like chalk and cheese, the Station House is a gorgeous spot, decorated to a very high standard and the food there is some of the best you'll find anywhere in Meath. Whereas the Waterside looks and feels very dated and while I found the food there not bad it was far from something to write home about either. I would have thought the kitchen team from Kilmessan would be all over the Waterside and making it into one of the best restaurants in Dublin but it seems not ? At least that's the impression I get, haven't eaten there in 12 months so maybe it's improved. I don't think I'd try it again unless I heard that for sure but then on the other hand I'd go back to eat in the Station House in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The Samphire restaurant in the Waterside is quite high quality, but that's somewhat separate to the standard catering in the hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

I heard the investment at the height of the boom in the waterside is what left the 2 hotels struggling. I may be wrong on that, the kilmessan is one of the busier wedding venues.

Food Standard in the station house has most definitely degraded in recent years (Ive ate there 3-4 times a year for last 10). I left management in no uncertain doubt of this last time I was in. You know when you have a great meal and when you dont, last 2 times, I didnt but yet I was still paying same prices. no way is it the same chef. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 missy25

Hi all,

My wedding is booked for early march next year in the station house. Like everyone else I was promised business as normal. . But recently the wedding planner has decided to leave. This is raising even more alarm bells for myself! ! Just wondering if anyone else is dealing this situation? And have you had any problems?

Id also like to mention that the wedding coordinator s replacement has not even bothered to contact us yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

missy25 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My wedding is booked for early march next year in the station house. Like everyone else I was promised business as normal. . But recently the wedding planner has decided to leave. This is raising even more alarm bells for myself! ! Just wondering if anyone else is dealing this situation? And have you had any problems?

Id also like to mention that the wedding coordinator s replacement has not even bothered to contact us yet.

As it's 6 months until the wedding I don't see why the new coordinator's first task would be to contact you. Someone has moved on to a new job, it happens frequently in the hospitality business - even in the boom years. I wouldn't, and see no reason to, panic at this stage. Call in to them if you have any concerns and meet with the new person.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

People leave jobs all the time in every business. This would not concern me. Your sisters wedding is ages away. Sure the wedding co- ordinator could change ten times over between now and then.
    These hotels have a standard process for the see weddings doesn't really matter would the wedding Co - ordinator is.

amdublin wrote: »
    People leave jobs all the time in every business. This would not concern me. Your sisters wedding is ages away. Sure the wedding co- ordinator could change ten times over between now and then.
    These hotels have a standard process for the see weddings doesn't really matter would the wedding Co - ordinator is.

Sorry, but yes it DOES matter - Of course it does!!

If the co-ordinator leaves once? No biggie - it happens, and you can accommodate the change easily. More than once? Big red flags to me, and I'd be asking serious questions and kicking up a fuss. It tells me the venue can't handle their business and don't treat their staff well. It also tells me that I can't be assured of decent service on the day.

So yeah - I wouldn't be happy. Unless of course you meant the duty manager on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I take on board some of your points but we will have to agree to disagree.

amdublin wrote: »
    I take on board some of your points but we will have to agree to disagree.

Did the wedding planner leave the Waterside aswell as the wedding planner in the Station House? We had to pull out of our venue because we were afraid of this and have found them difficult since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

efar wrote: »
    Did the wedding planner leave the Waterside aswell as the wedding planner in the Station House? We had to pull out of our venue because we were afraid of this and have found them difficult since.

Wedding coordinators change very often at venues. One leaving is not a sign of anything. Remember the hospitality trade is one of the worse paid in the country, so staff are forever changing.

• Advertisement

Wedding coordinators change very often at venues. One leaving is not a sign of anything. Remember the hospitality trade is one of the worse paid in the country, so staff are forever changing.
    Ordinarily it wouldn't be but in this case the hotel is in examinership so they should be trying to do everything possible to ensure people who have their weddings at the venue feel that everything is in order.

Advertisement