Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water boiling in small feed & expansion tank

• 10-07-2014 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi,

Have a problem with the water boiling in the small feed & expansion tank in the attic.

It is only happening when the cylinder only is being heated by the boiler.

If both the rads and hot water are on it doesnt happen.

There is no solid fuel, oil boiler and only the rads circuit is zoned with a motorised valve.

Boiler is going into a coil in the cylinder.

Thermostat is set to 55.

Anyone come across this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭anthonyos

I would be looking at you duel stat onn the boiler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

anthonyos wrote: »
    I would be looking at you duel stat onn the boiler

Hi

Im not sure what it is set to at the moment.
    Im amusing you mean to lower this to see if this solves my problem?
    The flow pipes to the cylinder were very hot.

Also when you say duel stat, this is the one with the pre set over heat and the adjustable flow temperature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

Your f and e tank is acting as a rad would, so the water is probably flowing into the tank via the expansion pipe and returning back to boiler through the feed pipe.
    This can be a simtium of a no. Of issues blocked coil in cylinder, balancing valve on coil closed, pump on flow from boiler with feed and vent piping incorrectly positioned or pump speed to high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭froshtyv

esox28 wrote: »
    Your f and e tank is acting as a rad would, so the water is probably flowing into the tank via the expansion pipe and returning back to boiler through the feed pipe.
    This can be a simtium of a no. Of issues blocked coil in cylinder, balancing valve on coil closed, pump on flow from boiler with feed and vent piping incorrectly positioned or pump speed to high.

Thanks for the reply,

The system has been in the house for a number of years.
    I always tend to have the pumps on a low speed but will check that.

Is there any methods of checking for a blocked coil in the cylinder?

I have not seen a balancing valve for the coil but will have another look.

Advertisement