Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going over to NZ

Options
  • 10-07-2014 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Done the whole oz thing, I would love to go back to oz but want to try my hand at NZ first. Just looking some advice , I am travelling alone although I've mates in Christchurch and Auckland , I am edging towards Auckland. I am a mechanic I am wondering what wages I should expect, I was able to save a fair bit in Sydney but I know New Zealand is different

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

It all depends on whether or not you are diesel or petrol qualified, and length of experience, but in Auckland you are probably looking at $23-$27 p/hr. Mechanics usually work 8-5.30 m-f and 8--1 on Saturdays.

Have a look at trademe.co.nz (the Kiwi version of Boards/Adverts)... Lots have a telephone number or an email address, and as the time difference is 11hrs, easy for you to give them a call at night for a chat

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

on_my_oe wrote: »
    It all depends on whether or not you are diesel or petrol qualified, and length of experience, but in Auckland you are probably looking at $23-$27 p/hr. Mechanics usually work 8-5.30 m-f and 8--1 on Saturdays.

Have a look at trademe.co.nz (the Kiwi version of Boards/Adverts)... Lots have a telephone number or an email address, and as the time difference is 11hrs, easy for you to give them a call at night for a chat

Thanks a lot for your info much appreciated, it's just trying to get my head around cost of living differences etc as in oz I was on $30 ph and that was more than enough for me. I will have a look at the site you suggested. Cheers

The big cities (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch) are more expensive than the smaller towns. In general public transport isn't great, but IMO Wellington is the best, so in general you'll need a car (older Japanese imports are not too expensive, and you'll be well able to maintain it 'the smell of an oily rag'.

Unless you are really set on a big place, a smaller city might be more manageable - still good pay, lower living costs. It depends on your goals, savings or a really good time. If you want a combination of both, choose a uni town (so Palmy, Hamilton, etc) - decent nightlife still, and you can afford your rent, a night out and the taxi home afterwards. Avoid invercargill (rumoured to be 'kissing cousins'). Most places are close to water eg beach, lake etc

Here's some jobs mostly listed by the local version of FAS http://nz.indeed.com/Mechanic-jobs-in-Auckland

• Advertisement
Advertisement