Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Helmet chip repair

• 10-07-2014 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭

Damaged my helmet on sunday:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Anyone know if the paint can be touched up professionally.
    I'd be fairly particular so it would have to be unnoticeable!
    I'm cracking over it:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Nail varnish for a quick fix, so its not in your face chipped, match it up as close as you can and take it from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Nail varnish for a quick fix, so its not in your face chipped, match it up as close as you can and take it from there?

It would have been my face if I didn't have my helmet on!:pac:
    There's about 10 chips at least! AAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!:pac:

Do tell, what happened? Is the lid fúcked and are you OK?

Gravel on a bend!
    Lost front end.
    My own fault, should have spotted it!
    No damage to bike only broken mirror and that was only a cheap aftermarket one.
    Cracked a rib and I had a headache Sunday and Monday!
    Hand guards on the bike saved the bike, not a mark on her!
    Just sick about my lid!

Oh! had a close one today aswell.
    Myself and a mate were up by Comeragh Mountains and a sheep jumped out of the ditch!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Why would you bother repairing the cosmetics of the helmet?

If the helmet has taken an impact, it should be replaced even if it's an expensive one.

• Advertisement

Ouch, I cracked a rib and couldn't laugh or shít for weeks without pain. Its funny lookin back on it though

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Why would you bother repairing the cosmetics of the helmet?

If the helmet has taken an impact, it should be replaced even if it's an expensive one.

Because I don't think it took a big enough hit to render it useless.
    It looks like some paint chips but then again I'm no expert and I should get it tested!

Ouch, I cracked a rib and couldn't laugh or shít for weeks without pain. Its funny lookin back on it though

Sneezing is great fun altogether!!!

Suppose it depends on how you drive whether it would need to replaced, I wouldn't automatically say a lid needs replacing, for instance if you're racing on a circuit then yes, but if its a low speed knock and you only commute perhaps at motorway speeds, i'd say you'd be grand.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

blade1 wrote: »
    Because I don't think it took a big enough hit to render it useless.
    It looks like some paint chips but then again I'm no expert and I should get it tested!

You said you had a headache for 2 days after. Chances are that some of the force from the impact got through the protective foam to your skull.

The foam in helmets is reactive and is destroyed when it absorbs energy. It's useless after that.

No guarantees that the helmet will save you next time.

If I was you, I would get a new lid. Better to get a new cheap lid with a good sharp rating than a use a potentially broken expensiive one. It's up to you though.

• Advertisement

Pugzilla wrote: »
    You said you had a headache for 2 days after. Chances are that some of the force from the impact got through the protective foam to your skull.

The foam in helmets is reactive and is destroyed when it absorbs energy. It's useless after that.

No guarantees that the helmet will save you next time.

If I was you, I would get a new lid. Better to get a new cheap lid with a good sharp rating than a use a potentially broken expensiive one. It's up to you though.

Test is free so I'll get it tested.
    I have two other helmets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Jaysus sorry to here that mate.....at least that is all you have to worry about could have been nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

If the impact was enough to cause a headache I'd seriously consider changing the helmet, its done its job in saving you so its not money thrown away.

Missed the bit about headaches man, bin it. It justifies buying a shiny new one!

Missed the bit about headaches man, bin it. It justifies buying a shiny new one!

Helmet will not be binned no matter what.
    As I said Arai will test it and if it fails I still want the chips fixed and keep the helmet on a shelf.

Put up a pic?

I'll be home in an hour, I'll do it then.

photo1_zps172303f3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

photo1_zps172303f3.jpg

There's little chance with that much damage to the shell that the foam hasn't done it's job and collapsed. It's only fit for the shelf as I doubt Arai will say it's OK as they want you to replace a lid even if you drop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Helmet will not be binned no matter what.
    As I said Arai will test it and if it fails I still want the chips fixed and keep the helmet on a shelf.

I've heard about people saying they'd send a lid off to be tested.

I've never once heard anyone saying that a helmet manufacturer said a lid involved in a crash of any type was safe to use.

They never will. It's not in their commercial interest to do so and it's certainly not in their interest to do so from the point of view of legal liability.

You're wasting your money sending a lid off to be tested. Just replace it.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

You're wasting your money sending a lid off to be tested. Just replace it.

It's free though? :pac:

And if it's not going to be worn in the mean time there is zero to lose by having it tested.

I sent my old Vision R to Shark after a low speed spill, dropped it to Cotters who returned it to Shark and Shark returned it to Cotters for me to collect with their assessment report with it. It detailed why it could not be used again and highlighted the damaged areas underneath the paint which your average eye would have glossed over. Cost me nothing and got a definitive answer from the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Vikings wrote: »
    It's free though? :pac:

And if it's not going to be worn in the mean time there is zero to lose by having it tested.

I sent my old Vision R to Shark after a low speed spill, dropped it to Cotters who returned it to Shark and Shark returned it to Cotters for me to collect with their assessment report with it. It detailed why it could not be used again and highlighted the damaged areas underneath the paint which your average eye would have glossed over. Cost me nothing and got a definitive answer from the manufacturer.

Yes but its ALWAYS going to come back from the manufacturer as not fit for use !!

Its not in their best interests to tell you otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

KTRIC wrote: »
    Yes but its ALWAYS going to come back from the manufacturer as not fit for use !!

Its not in their best interests to tell you otherwise.

Lets test this out, buy a brand new helmet send it to maker and see what they say :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Vikings wrote: »
    Lets test this out, buy a brand new helmet send it to maker and see what they say :D

Away ya go, I haven't got a cent to my name :rolleyes:

Advertisement