Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eFibre Newcastle West. What's going on?

Options
  • 10-07-2014 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Since July 2013 Newcastle West, Co. Limerick was supposed to have eFibre. That's over a year ago and it is still not here. Just when the month comes around that it was supposed to be here it would get pushed back by a month or two and this has been happening over and over again.

May was another month it was supposed to be here but then just as it turned May it jumped back to July. For some reason I finally believed it would be July because it would have been a full year late and it surely can't be any later. 

I went to check the map today expecting to either see it green saying eFibre available or else some different colour saying September or October but instead it was actually gone! Yes gone! Not even on the map any more, along with Askeaton which is nearby.

What the hell is going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

rg370 wrote: »
    Since July 2013 Newcastle West, Co. Limerick was supposed to have eFibre. That's over a year ago and it is still not here. Just when the month comes around that it was supposed to be here it would get pushed back by a month or two and this has been happening over and over again.

May was another month it was supposed to be here but then just as it turned May it jumped back to July. For some reason I finally believed it would be July because it would have been a full year late and it surely can't be any later. 

I went to check the map today expecting to either see it green saying eFibre available or else some different colour saying September or October but instead it was actually gone! Yes gone! Not even on the map any more, along with Askeaton which is nearby.

Schools in NCW currently being wired for 100mbs broadband - started last week

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rg370

Enright wrote: »

Schools in NCW currently being wired for 100mbs broadband - started last week
    That's definitely good news thanks for letting me know. Who cares about the schools I've been waiting for this for over a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Hi rg370

I have had a look at this. One or two other posters either here or on the Eircom forum have pointed out that their area was also highlighted for a certain date but is now no longer highlighted.

In general the dates on the efibre map are indicative only and are subject to change as they can be affected by a number of different factors. Furthermore the map only indicates a date for commencement of the efibre rollout within an area and does not mean that all addresses within the area would be done at once.

Newcastle west and Askeaton are both due to be efibre enabled as part of the efibre roll-out but I don't have any definite dates for either at this time I am afraid.

Thanks
    Colm

Thanks Colm. 

I went onto the eFibre site today, put in my phone number and it said I can now pre-order it so I filled out the form clicked the submit button and it just showed me this page with random packages for eVision and all this and no message or other button to continue and I did not receive an email confirming the order.

Is this normal or do you think maybe it did not go through? It was weird to see no confirmation message.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭orangetoad

ive heard through the grapevine that efibre will be enabled in NCW today (mon 14th July) there has been a good few vdsl cabinets installed over the last few weeks in town.

• Advertisement

orangetoad wrote: »
    ive heard through the grapevine that efibre will be enabled in NCW today (mon 14th July) there has been a good few vdsl cabinets installed over the last few weeks in town.
    Have you tried to order it yet? I ordered it on the website and got no confirmation message after I submitted the form and no confirmation email. I think that pre-order form is only there for show.

I just rang up there and waited 15 minutes only to find out they can't see any order from me. Who makes this stuff it's unbelievable. It's just problem after problem with Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

I just rang up there and waited 15 minutes only to find out they can't see any order from me. Who makes this stuff it's unbelievable. It's just problem after problem with Eircom.
    Hi rg370

Is it possible that you can PM me the Phone number and I will look into this. Efibre is not available in Newcastle west as of yet and it should not be possible to pre-order it.

thanks
    Colm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Here is the map you really want.

http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/

As you can see all the fibre cabs in town are in place, but not yet live. The go live date on some of them is listed as the 6th of August, while others are completion work in progress.

Why the Eircom reps here just can't give you this information is beyond me.

It is sorted now, I rang up again and this time they said they could see my order. Crazy stuff you would think all employees share the same database.

My house is 150 yards from one of the boxes that is due to go live on the 6th of August but it says I can only get the 50Mb, I thought that would definitely be close enough to get the top speed, why do you think I can only get 50Mb? It's not like I'm a KM away from it.

Thanks testicle that map have given me more information than anything in the last 12 months. Where did you get the link for that? I did not see it advertised anywhere on the Eircom site. It's like they are trying to hide it.

• Advertisement

It's for Eircom Wholesale, i.e. information for their resellers. It's probably not for the great unwashed such as ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

It is sorted now, I rang up again and this time they said they could see my order. Crazy stuff you would think all employees share the same database.

My house is 150 yards from one of the boxes that is due to go live on the 6th of August but it says I can only get the 50Mb, I thought that would definitely be close enough to get the top speed, why do you think I can only get 50Mb? It's not like I'm a KM away from it.

Thanks testicle that map have given me more information than anything in the last 12 months. Where did you get the link for that? I did not see it advertised anywhere on the Eircom site. It's like they are trying to hide it.
    Hi rg370

It really is better to wait for an acurate pre-qual when the cabinet is activated. Feel free to get back to me and I'll double check for you then.

Thanks
    Al

Ok thanks Alan.

Ok thanks Alan.
    No worries at all rg370

Do make sure to get back to me first when checking at launch date :)

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

it says on the eircom checker that efibre is now active in Newcastle west, is that just waffle?

I won't believe it until I actually have it installed in my home. It's already 12 months late.  I ordered it a few days ago, I might get it by next July.

liam24 wrote: »
    it says on the eircom checker that efibre is now active in Newcastle west, is that just waffle?
    eircom phone line checker ? it still says up to 24 Mb for my phone number and i'm 100m from one of the first cabinets installed :/

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

Im from Newcastle west and when I put in my number it says I can get 70meg efibre, i checked that map and indeed it seems that the cabinets wont be active until Aug 8th. I'm about 300 metres from the nearest cabinet to Daarwood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

eircom phone line checker ? it still says up to 24 Mb for my phone number and i'm 100m from one of the first cabinets installed :/

Only parts off the town are going to be on efibre.

It's the same all over the country.I was told by a friend that the areas around paddocks, killeline heights, bishops court will be the 1st to be turned on.

Rest of the town could be waiting months.

Out of 13 cabinets in town only 4 are still in "completion" phase.. south quay, boher bui, Hawthorn drive, beechwood. I'd imagine they will be completed before 6th Aug and all will go live together :) 
    It wasent that long ago there were only 2 cabinets in town.

• Advertisement

Can anyone shed any light as to where the eFibre cabinet is on the Cork road, as per the above map, scheduled to go live on the 6th of August. The normal Eircom phone line cab is in plain sight just across from the entrance to the Paddocks but I can't see the eFibre one.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

It's directly  across the road, inside the fence of the housing estate, near the trees! It took a while for me to spot it too.

I'm waiting for the beechwood one to be completed for a year now, hopefully it will be included in the 6th of August upgrade.

Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

Actually, I see from the map that it is one of the few WITHOUT a completion date.

The whole thing is a joke really. 

Beechwood was the 2nd cabinet built, and I saw them drag the fibre through the ducts myself. How in Gods name can it take Eircom over a year to activate it?

I could have done the whole thing myself in half the time...

I've heard it can take anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months to get a technician out to install it. 

If it does go live on time (highly unlikely judging by the past) it will probably be September or October before it gets installed in the house. 

I've given up on it at this stage, checking the map for over a year now and it just kept getting pushed back so I've lost all hope and patience.

The organisation, schedule and everything else is diabolical.

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »

Only parts off the town are going to be on efibre.

It's the same all over the country.I was told by a friend that the areas around paddocks, killeline heights, bishops court will be the 1st to be turned on.

Rest of the town could be waiting months.
    Where did your friend hear this from?

Gortboy probably has the most dense area of houses in the town, there are piles of housing estates right next to each other like 

Daarwood, Hazelgrove, Cluin Arra, Kilcolman Drive, Oakpark, Portland Drive, Daar Riverview/riverwalk and there are probably one or two more all on one road! There are two fibre boxes right next to each other to support all the estates. 

Paddocks and Killeline heights are on the outside of the town. If they turn them on there first I'm going to lose it.

Gortboy probably has the most dense area of houses in the town, there are piles of housing estates right next to each other like 

Daarwood, Hazelgrove, Cluin Arra, Kilcolman Drive, Oakpark, Portland Drive, Daar Riverview/riverwalk and there are probably one or two more all on one road! There are two fibre boxes right next to each other to support all the estates. 

Paddocks and Killeline heights are on the outside of the town. If they turn them on there first I'm going to lose it.

Friend tried to sign up for the efibre last week and was told that his area beechwood is not completed yet and he questioned why his friend in the Killeline heights could sign up for efibre and he couldn't.

Sales guys on the phone said the cabinets completed would be turned on August 8th and they will get around to completing the rest of the cabinets in town over the next few weeks.

Not all would go live together, he said.

He said it was the same all over the country.

Sales guy wouldn't even entertain the idea of him signing up for efibre in beechwood, said call back in September, must be delays there then.

Like you said it will probably be October before most of the town is on.

It's pretty useless that efibre anyway, past 300m the speed drops like mad.

At the back of large estates like paddocks, templegreen, arra view, meadow courtn etc you could be 500m from the cabinets and getting barely over 30mb, that's barely better than what we have now on the 24mb ( lucky to get 10mb )

Friend tried to sign up for the efibre last week and was told that his area beechwood is not completed yet and he questioned why his friend in the Killeline heights could sign up for efibre and he couldn't.

Sales guys on the phone said the cabinets completed would be turned on August 8th and they will get around to completing the rest of the cabinets in town over the next few weeks.

Not all would go live together, he said.

He said it was the same all over the country.

Sales guy wouldn't even entertain the idea of him signing up for efibre in beechwood, said call back in September, must be delays there then.

Like you said it will probably be October before most of the town is on.

It's pretty useless that efibre anyway, past 300m the speed drops like mad.

At the back of large estates like paddocks, templegreen, arra view, meadow courtn etc you could be 500m from the cabinets and getting barely over 30mb, that's barely better than what we have now on the 24mb ( lucky to get 10mb )

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi Y2KBOS86[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]I can confirm some of the info you obtained is correct - unlike regular broadband the roll out of efibre is not based on the upgrade of a particular exchange. It is based on the commissioning and activation of VDSL (fibre) cabinets to specific locations. The coverage of efibre reached up to 2000 metres on a predefined router again unlike regular broadband where coverage goes in all directions from the exchange.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif] [/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Understandably I can see why the coverage map (http://www.eircom.net/efibreinfo/map/) would lead people to think that all areas in the shaded green zone can get efibre however that is not the case, which is why there is a specific message located beside the map stating:[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]Please note:[/font][font=Times New Roman","serif] This map is for illustrative purposes only and not all homes within the eFibre area can avail of the service.[/font]

[font=Times New Roman","serif]To see if your home is enabled please choose your bundle and enter your phone number or address into our line checker.[/font]
    [font=Times New Roman","serif]The cabinets themselves are rolled out and activated on a phased basis, unfortunately we will be unable to give activation dates for the cabinets until it's very close to go live.

Thanks
    Al[/font]

Who is long_b?;-)

Who is long_b?;-)

Apologies Y2KN0S86

I've edited that now :)

Similar query to another user - my bad

Al

• Advertisement

Anyone got an update or call back on Newcastle West efibre?

Suppose to be live today!

I rang the sales rep I deal with and he said there has been a delay and it's looking like October/ early November.

Said they are putting in more cabinets in town.

Advertisement