Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My first incident

• 10-07-2014 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Hi gang, just wanted to share my first 'knock off the bike' experience,thankfully nothing major, Infact it was very minor indeed but worth sharing I think.

Was driving behind 2 vans, came to a cross road, one of them turned left and one went straight through as did I. About a minute up this road (country road), the van ahead of me starts to indicate right, I kept my distance and slowed down gradually aswell as positioning myself to the left hand side of my lane, eventually I had to come to a halt as the van did not turn right but stayed on the same road and came to a standstill (he himself was at a standstill for probably 5-7 seconds before I came to a standstill myself)

Around 2/3 seconds after I came to a standstill the van decides to reverse (he missed his turn), I must of been 3/4ish metres behind him, I tried to quickly press the horn button but was too late, my thumb slipped of the button. It was my right leg and the front right of my bike came into contact with the van as he reversed. I was knocked/fell/jumped off the bike, and came down on the left.
    He stopped naturally, apologised, all that, paying for damage my clutch lever, clutch link, scraps on fairing, and a safety check aswell also the pick up aswell as it wouldn't start after.
    Now you might ask did he not look in his left mirror before reversing. Well the answer is he was delivering cushions and bits and bobs that's were obstructing his view that were all piled in the front passenger seat. He said that he saw me before the crossroad but assumed I'd stay on the main road and that he'd take a chance reversing. I was gobsmacked. After he moved off to the side so I could pick up my bike his rear tyre went over my front tyre. I couldn't help but massively face palm myself after I said to him to swing right out to avoid it.
    If I could critique myself I should of had my thumb on the horn the second I saw cushions in the mirror but it was probably 2 seconds later he had started to reverse, a learning experience for sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Got all his insurance details, etc? Did you involve the Gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

I didn't involve the gardai or get insurance details, he's a local man, honest, I wanted to avoid all that to be honest, Minor damage that shouldn't be too much. He arranged for it to be picked up, he spoke to the man in my local bike shop, as did I later on in the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jesus, amazing how accidents happen. The combination of loads of little thing going wrong.
    I assume he saw no cars so thought he was grand. Had a woman do something similar to me, but thankfully I pressed the horn.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Jesus, amazing how accidents happen. The combination of loads of little thing going wrong.
    I assume he saw no cars so thought he was grand. Had a woman do something similar to me, but thankfully I pressed the horn.

Yup, but even if i was in a chiquento car he probably wouldnt of seen me, it was one of those tall type vans about twice the size of a berlingo, he had no view through the middle section of the van as far as i know. A bummer indeed but ive learned from it without any physical harm thankfully. He drove me home and all, very nice man, full of apology but jesus christ what can go wrong will go wrong i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

his rear tyre went over my front tyre

If your bike went down and his rear tyre backed over your front tyre then you really need to get your bike properly checked out before driving it.

This sort of scenario could easily have bent your forks and stressed the frame enough to put cracks in it.

Please dont drive it ;)

• Advertisement

Got my bike back about 3 weeks ago now, got front disc brake replaced, repaired left side fairing and a new clutch lever, the front tyre was also tested and I paid for a general service myself too, over the moon to have it back.

Went up to cork on Tuesday night,parked right alongside a bicycle stall and locked my bike (just outside the roundy bar) being a Tuesday night, it was quite and I thought it would be a fine time to park in the city or so I thought, some drunken eejit passer by (underage drinker) decides to sit on the bike and proceeds to drop it on it's right side, I wouldn't of noticed any damage only for the barman telling me when I came out. Thankfully there is a CCTV looking right down on the bike stall so hopefully the gardai will recognise this dickhead.
    This time right fairing is scratched, brake lever bent, a small piece of the front tyre hugger is snapped off and lastly that bracket that hold the exhaust firmly in place is cracked.
    Lesson learned- don't park in the city at night anyday of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Got my bike back about 3 weeks ago now, got front disc brake replaced, repaired left side fairing and a new clutch lever, the front tyre was also tested and I paid for a general service myself too, over the moon to have it back.

Went up to cork on Tuesday night,parked right alongside a bicycle stall and locked my bike (just outside the roundy bar) being a Tuesday night, it was quite and I thought it would be a fine time to park in the city or so I thought, some drunken eejit passer by (underage drinker) decides to sit on the bike and proceeds to drop it on it's right side, I wouldn't of noticed any damage only for the barman telling me when I came out. Thankfully there is a CCTV looking right down on the bike stall so hopefully the gardai will recognise this dickhead.
    This time right fairing is scratched, brake lever bent, a small piece of the front tyre hugger is snapped off and lastly that bracket that hold the exhaust firmly in place is cracked.
    Jesus,that's a right balls!!!!

blade1 wrote: »
    Jesus,that's a right balls!!!!

Love having a bike and the freedom it brings but sometimes I wonder is it worth having with all the worry and the million things that can go wrong. I wish I caught that scumbag in the act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I park in cork city 5+ nights a week... Usually grand to leave the bike on south mall. Fewer students walking around there than those who would be around on the Tuesday of cao offers going to the bodega and savoy through corn market street

Advertisement