Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holiday visa to usa

Options
  • 10-07-2014 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭

Hi there, hope you can help. In 1992 i was refused a holiday visa from the american embassy in london, i was working and living there at the time. I got a stamp on one of the last pages of my passport, it just said us embassy london or something like that. I now hope to go for a holiday in December and was just wondering do i have to go to us embassy for an interview for a visa or can i just fill out the form at the airport.......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You no longer fill in the form at the aiport, you have to apply online in advance for ESTA approval One of the first questions the site asks you is if you've ever been refused a visa/entry to the US. If so you will be directed to make an appointment with the embassy to apply for a visa, you are not entitled to use the ESTA process for Visa Waiver Countries.

Don't be tempted to lie. Make your embassy appointment before you book your flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭brookers

Hi There, got approval on line from esta, absolutely delighted as now do not have to go to embassy. Said on the application i had been refused holiday visa but as it was 22 years ago they probably thought it wasnt really an issue now.......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

brookers wrote: »
    Hi There, got approval on line from esta, absolutely delighted as now do not have to go to embassy. Said on the application i had been refused holiday visa but as it was 22 years ago they probably thought it wasnt really an issue now.......

Nevertheless............ ESTA approval does not guarantee you entry to the US, it's simply a pre-check to see if you're on a banned list or if you recently overstayed a visa or travel permit. Have your story ready and proof of a hotel booking, return flight etc. as it's likely the history of the earlier refusal will appear when your details come up on the agent's screen in the airport. It will be in your favour that you declared it even though it was a long time ago but it doesn't mean you won't get asked a few extra questions, just be prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭brookers

Thanks for that, will have all ready in preparation for their questions, will be going for a holiday for a week so will have flight times, hotel etc and money in my account (hopefully)!!! heres to the big apple......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

ESTA is just travel approval to allow the airline fly you, so I'd still have chat with the embassy even if it's only for peace of mind. They might advise you to bring additional proof that you have strong enough ties here to bring you back home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement