Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway International Arts Festival

Options
  • 10-07-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread on this. Went to Ballyturk tonight and was blown away by the intensity. Plot is a bit of a mindfcuk but the acting is superb. Black box needs to be renamed the sweat box though

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I'm going tonight. I can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

Das Kitty wrote: »
    I'm going tonight. I can't wait!

Word of warning you can't leave during the play to go to the bathroom as they won't let you back in. Bring a bottle of water too, its ridiculously hot in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Does anyone else feel that the over-reliance on previous visiting acts, who were a hit in the past, smacks a little of lazy management, or lack of imagination?
    While I really respect the quality of the Theatre Companies, and Bands that are asked to return, I feel that things have gotten a little samey over the last few years.
    How many times has Enda Walsh been here, and Propeller (amazing as they are) were here 3 years out of 4. Blondie played repeat gigs, as will Imelda May etc.
    Do we have to have the same Festival every year, just because some acts were successful?
    Come on GIAF, give me something different, something I haven't seen before, Maybe even something not on the "Festival Circuit".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Meemars wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel that the over-reliance on previous visiting acts, who were a hit in the past, smacks a little of lazy management, or lack of imagination?

Giving the people what they want?

I do feel that the music elements could be a little more innovative. Back in the early 2000s St. Nicholas' Church hosted a few concerts. They weren't your run of the mill concert from the acts either. Sigur Ros was unfortunately cancelled.

Propeller haven't been here in the past two years.

I think they need the acts that draw the crowds and sell the tickets to keep funding up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

.. I think they need the acts that draw the crowds and sell the tickets to keep funding up.
    Like Gareth Bruuuukes

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

antoobrien wrote: »
    Giving the people what they want?

Giving people what they want is more in the line of a concert promoter, in my view.
    The curation of an arts festival should be a different thing, while taking into consideration the potential popularity of a given act, and it's saleability.
    I understand the need for booking shows that will sell, but relying on the same companies/acts each time, I find unimaginative.
    Time was they used to sell out the major shows, when they were by acts/visiting companies that most people hadn't heard of before.
    In my ideal world, bums on seats would not to be the major consideration for a Festival, wide ranging, possible adventurous, content would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭deisedude

Meemars wrote: »
    Come on GIAF, give me something different, something I haven't seen before, Maybe even something not on the "Festival Circuit".

You have to remember people are stupid. Thats why the Coronas singing about getting hammered on a J1 is a sell out and The National, probably the greatest Rock band on the planet is not

The festival of course have to cater to the masses, they would go bust if they didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 25 wowee

Looking forward to seeing Ballyturk. I booked tickets for Sunday 20th however and then The Waterboys were announced for the same night so if anybody has tickets for Ballyturk for this Monday or Tuesday night and are willing to swop with me for Sunday 20th I'd be delighted? Went to Be Infants In Evil last night in The Mick Lally Theatre and would advise anyone going to dress lightly and bring a bottle of water with you also as the heat was really unbearable in the theatre last night so I'd hazard a guess that tonight will be the same. What a great play though!

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Anyone have a couple of Imelda tickets for Friday evening? Sold out but was sold out last year too and I couldn't give away a spare ticket at the gate. OH has promised our daughter a night out this year and we're too far out to come in on spec. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Went to Ballyturk at weekend, thought it was only ok. Interested to hear what others thought. I am not sure what all the hype was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

snubbleste wrote: »
    Like Gareth Bruuuukes

Garth Brooks has become the Irish "Godwin's Law" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

deisedude wrote: »
    You have to remember people are stupid. Thats why the Coronas singing about getting hammered on a J1 is a sell out and The National, probably the greatest Rock band on the planet is not

The festival of course have to cater to the masses, they would go bust if they didn't

that's why we also have the Fringe Festival; cheaper, open, more local acts.

Room 303 by Enda Walsh
    It’s an interesting idea; a hotel room created in this white cube, the entire audience (4 people) sit on the chairs and bed and listen to the audio of a dying man in the bed.
    I shot a long exposure photograph to give the illusion of the man’s spirit leaving this world.

39D487BA436A4A71A56CBF709D6C7559-0000332953-0003611106-00800L-1D9B5ABC0C6D4EBBB8FFE47BA8FCD77B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Went to Star of the Sea the other night and loved it - thought I might be taking a bit of a chance because my Irish isn't great but it was really well done using both languages.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Would have liked to get to Star of the Sea but I'm out of town now. I did go to Chapati last night and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Where is the red ball today?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Druid Lane, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭sonandheir

Cool must head down and check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Joe Duffy..

Anyone know what time the parade is on today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

No parade as such. Dragons in Eyre Sq at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Was there last night, was a cool performance. They're back again today I think if anyone missed them yesterday.

45C31A092A0C47709775C09270167DB1-0000329149-0003613077-00800L-D5BC67AC19DB4F3194FF77D2DC6C7E56.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Anyone got the start times for The Waterboys and support tonight? Didn't get the email today yet.

The Choral installation upstairs in NUIG's aula is fantastic.

Al Gare on bass at Imelda May gig
    14517066719_d43a1e0f42_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭KABLOOEY

Anything on tonight around town?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Where abouts is this? Cheers

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Where abouts is this? Cheers

In the side door of the Aula and up the stairs. You probably had an exam or 10 up there back in the day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

In the side door of the Aula and up the stairs. You probably had an exam or 10 up there back in the day. :)

Ah, you mean the Quad? (Yes, I know Aula is what it's called).

Exams, in there? Moi? C'mon i'm a spring chicken.... we were in Aras MacLeinn for exams :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭pemtca

Thanks for recommending this - it is fabulous!

Advertisement