Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows IP conflict

Options
  • 11-07-2014 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭

Hi, I just got this message on my laptop, if anybody understands it I would appreciate any information.

"Another computor on this network has the same IP address as this computor. Contact your network administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are available in windows system event log."

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 ShroomCrusader

how you doing galway brother

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

not too bad at all Shroom, Yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Two devices on your network have the same IP, change the IP address of the PC to something else on your network range.
    EG: if your PC IP is set to 192.168.1.2 set it to 192.168.1.50, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0; Default Gateway should be set as the IP address of your router.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Hi, I just got this message on my laptop, if anybody understands it I would appreciate any information.

"Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computor. Contact your network administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are available in windows system event log."

Sorry not being rude, the error message is quite self explanatory.

To computers have the same IP. ie two houses have the same address and the postman doesn't know who letter goes to .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

restart router, restart all machines, problem solved 99% of the time for a home plug & play network... unless you've got some manual config stuff going on...

but i'll throw a problem out there that stumped me for days... setting up a network in a housing estate... user complaining of these type of problems... IP conflicts, constant drop outs etc..

to cut a long story short, this house was using powerline adapters as was the one next door... they both had the same type of router, set up with default settings... in short, a cluster **** of problems that goes the old 'try switching it off and on again' wouldn't solve.

so there's a small chance that could be your problem..

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

So the house were on the electrical circuit?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭steloide

Try running "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" in the CMD window.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

How are houses sharing the same power circuit? That is really dangerous (different phase = big voltage difference = electrocution).

The proper solution to this is to make sure all clients are using DHCP (not manual IP). If you use manual the problem will reoccur in the future when new devices connect (like phones etc).

If there are 2 dhcp routers on the network this means the network is configured badly, should be segregated. Possibly give each router a different ip address range. If someone keeps using manual IP address and causing problems, just ban their mac address :) When complaints arrive get them to use dhcp!

If the above makes no sense, get a technical person to fix - is very simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I had a problem with an iPad on my network.
    It retains the IP address it is given long after it's IP address lease has expired (typically 24 hours ).

The solution was to assign a static IP address to the iPad.

Also, if you don't shutdown a laptop/tablet and instead use a sleep/hibernate mode, then I imagine you "might" get something similiar.

But I definitely had issues with an iPad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Increase the lease time on the dhcp server.

Or, map mac address to ip address. I had to do this for an XBMC box, otherwise the remote control app needs to be reconfigured if the tv box address changes.

Advertisement