Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

athlone

Options
  • 11-07-2014 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi
    I'm living in athlone and just feeling quiet isolated at times don't like sports would think about them , wondering if there is anything in they area I could do to become more involved with people in the mid twenties just seems theres very little and I'm wolling to try anything any ideas ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Have you a job or a student or whats the story?
    What kinda things are you into? I could suggest anything but there ain't much point if it wouldn't be of interest to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Go to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

stegu wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm living in athlone and just feeling quiet isolated at times don't like sports would think about them , wondering if there is anything in they area I could do to become more involved with people in the mid twenties just seems there's very little and I'm wolling to try anything any ideas ???

Music-wise there's almost always something going on in the pubs in town, could make friends that avenue either. You could join swimming/boat clubs (sort of sport i know but also counts as hobbies).

Otherwise i guess local gym, get involved with whatever your job(?)s social scene is or as the previous poster says, head to the bar and get chatting to people.

Its actually a pretty good town, don't waste time feeling lonely in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

There's always loads of stuff going on in Athlone. You just need to get involved. Lots of clubs around that you could join. Going to the pubs is very expensive if you're drinking (5 Yoyos + for a pint is ridiculous) but their are cheaper alternatives - The summer months usually see a whole series of late night cider parties in Burgess park for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Long Gone wrote: »
    There's always loads of stuff going on in Athlone. You just need to get involved. Lots of clubs around that you could join. Going to the pubs is very expensive if you're drinking (5 Yoyos + for a pint is ridiculous) but their are cheaper alternatives - The summer months usually see a whole series of late night cider parties in Burgess park for example.

Where are you paying 5+ euro for a pint in Athlone?
    If you were drinking craft beer maybe... I think you're going to the wrong pubs :P

There's a computer group trying to start up, that's on way to meet people. As mentioned there are various clubs and societies around Athlone, some sport, some hobby.

There's a Medieval society that runs out in the college throughout the college year (they also do stuff during the summer). There's a beer club, there's bridge clubs, there are walking clubs etc... You just have to look :)

• Advertisement

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Where are you paying 5+ euro for a pint in Athlone?
    If you were drinking craft beer maybe... I think you're going to the wrong pubs :P

Quite possibly.... Where's the cheapest pint in town then ? Times being tough and all that..... :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The Army Barracks serves the cheapest pint in town, but doubt you'll make many friends in there when you won't get past the gate :P

Itzy wrote: »
    The Army Barracks serves the cheapest pint in town, but doubt you'll make many friends in there when you won't get past the gate :P

You'd be surprised... I've had a few pints in "Hells Kitchen" and other such drinking establishments in my time....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

What was the name of the pub in connaught street where they had no lights, only the black and white telly and they had to hold the notes up to the telly to see what you had given them for the pint?

EDIT - Was it McGuires?

iPhone. wrote: »
    EDIT - Was it McGuires?

Maguires if I remember correctly - The gargle has dimmed me brain ! .:D

Sound's a pound ! was the barman's catchphrase. Great place for a few after hour pints - They stayed open all hours.... Cops couldn't tell if there was anyone inside because there were (never !) any lights on !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

Stegu,
    There is loads to do in Athlone. All you have to do is give people an idea of what interests you and you will have a load of suggestions in no time.

Stegu,
    There is loads to do in Athlone. All you have to do is give people an idea of what interests you and you will have a load of suggestions in no time.

Agreed – You’re a lucky git to be able to live in Athlone. Stop moping and a**eing around and just get out there and do something ! Buy yourself a boat for God’s sake – There isn’t anywhere I’d prefer to be on a nice warm summer’s evening than boating on Lough Ree. Instead I’m currently having to slave away at work out foreign. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Will be heading to Athlone in the next couple of weeks with the missus for a break.
    Is there any pitch n putt / crazy golf areas in the town or just outside?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

There's a couple of Pitch and Putt places in and around Athlone, at least 2 that I know of.

There's Custume Pitch and Putt, Woodview that's out in Bealnamulla. There's a couple I recall seeing while driving (would be classified as being in Roscommon, but still close to Athlone).

I don't believe there's crazy golf anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Will be heading to Athlone in the next couple of weeks with the missus for a break.
    Is there any pitch n putt / crazy golf areas in the town or just outside?

Cheers
    There's a nice pitch & putt course 15 miles outside of Athlone in Ballymore, if you're willing to go out that far.

http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/ballymore-pitch-putt-par-3-golf/11547

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

was just about to recommend the Ballymore one. Some impressive holes on that one for a pitch and putt course!
    The one out the Tuam road is alright aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Could try Athlone community radio, it free and good way to meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Rhino1983

I've been living in Galway for 3 years now and want to move somewhere more central to Dublin, might buy, rent or build would anyone suggest a good Architech or engineer? I heard rent is fairly good there and there are lovely restaurants and shops but was hoping to maybe buy and build on the outskirts.

Planning would be hard got I'd imagine or is there an area you are guaranteed planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

Any suggestions where I could buy a load of good turf and have it delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Is it bags or a trailer load?

Athlone fuel depot behind the grove have plenty of bags and that and deliver. If its a trailer load your looking ill try come back to you.

• Advertisement

Is it bags or a trailer load?

Athlone fuel depot behind the grove have plenty of bags and that and deliver. If its a trailer load your looking ill try come back to you.

I was thinking trailer load. Thanks for responding.

Anybody able to recommend delivery of good quality turf to Athlone East area? Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Anybody able to recommend delivery of good quality turf to Athlone East area? Thanks folks

Athlone Fuel Center ... based behind The Grove in Baylough

Advertisement