Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poolbeg chimneys to be knocked down?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

Here's an alternative proposal for the re-development of the #Poolbeg chimneys, turning them into a major tourist attraction on you tube: youtube.com/watch?v=0E1CewbnE_c

Have you ever been down there? There's a wojus bang of shíte in the area and it's rather industrial. It has about as much potential for becoming a tourist destination as the carpark in Harvey Norman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Its also part of the esb station so it will only be visual attraction from afar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some ESB guy on the radio couldn't control himself when PK asked about turning them into a tourist attraction. Even PK himself started chortling before they quickly cut to an ad break.

I suppose it's hard to see what value they could be in that area, although maybe turning one of the disused buildings into a museum of some sorts could be feasible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Some ESB guy on the radio couldn't control himself when PK asked about turning them into a tourist attraction. Even PK himself started chortling before they quickly cut to an ad break.

I suppose it's hard to see what value they could be in that area, although maybe turning one of the disused buildings into a museum of some sorts could be feasible?
    Only slightly related to the thread, but this reminded me - there's a very lovely (if totally dilapidated) redbrick building down there just beside the entrance to the ESB station - anyone know what it is/was, or who owns it?

Maybe it's not actually that wonderful, but it stands out as something nice among all the container piles, scrap metal mountains and concrete stinky boxes down around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Only slightly related to the thread, but this reminded me - there's a very lovely (if totally dilapidated) redbrick building down there just beside the entrance to the ESB station - anyone know what it is/was, or who owns it?

I think you're referring to the original Pigeonhouse Hotel? I thought that building had been mostly burned down, but I've not been down that way for a good few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

They're the second and third tallest structures in the country (excluding masts). In what part of the world would that not be a landmark?

Ah you can't leave us hanging like that!

What's the tallest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The costs association with maintaining protected structures that are privately owned should fall on the council/state. It's very easy to just decide that a structure is protected and a company/person has to foot the bill to maintain it when it's not going to cost them (the decision makers) anything. I'm fact it seems like an easy way to make others pay to make your constituency look better.

If the country wants to protect a building that is owned privately they should offer a reasonable amount to buy it (plus associated moving costs for the owner to not lose out).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Ah you can't leave us hanging like that!

What's the tallest

Moneypoint's chimneys.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2084/3704745279_ac5ba11f0c_z.jpg

Now, I'd be happy to see them go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nimr wrote: »
    Moneypoint's chimneys.

Are Poolbeg's two chimney's not equal in height?
    Why are they the second and third tallest structures?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Zen65 wrote: »
    Are Poolbeg's two chimney's not equal in height?
    Why are they the second and third tallest structures?

Because they're not equal in height. :)

theres a foot difference, 681 vs 682 ft, and the taller one is a good bit wider aswell

I must go to Specsavers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Well worth the watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Al Katraz

Apologies if this is spam but hopefully some of you will enjoy this short documentary film about the chimneys. Quill To Power was filmed earlier this year at Poolbeg.

There's a Facebook page for it here too, with more information https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quill-To-Power/1611460305759531

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Al Katraz wrote: »
    Apologies if this is spam but hopefully some of you will enjoy this short documentary film about the chimneys. Quill To Power was filmed earlier this year at Poolbeg.

There's a Facebook page for it here too, with more information https://www.facebook.com/pages/Quill-To-Power/1611460305759531

Youtube link doesn't work.

I found it via the FB link though.

Very interesting - added to the list of "things I never knew".

Advertisement