Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB considering knocking Poolbeg chimneys again!

Options
  • 11-07-2014 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭

From the IT
    ESB chief executive Pat O’Doherty said carrying out the structural and repair works needed to keep the 680ft high twin stacks may not be the best use of resources.

It's a worrying situation whereby the ESB have control over such a major.

Perhaps DCC could compulsorily purchase the chimneys and commission the repair works to maintain their integrity and place in Dublin mostly lacking skyline.

For me flying into Dublin (trying my best not to sound too corny) but me heart wells with pride and nostalgia upon seeing these chimneys. I get they are not the aesthetic likeness of the Statue of Liberty or something, but for me they evoke the same feeling of arrival and my county.

What think al ye? Should this be something we fight to keep?

If the financials don't add up, perhaps a lift-shaft and viewing platform could be installed into one of them. What a magnificent view that would be had from such a height!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

I'd much prefer to see the unsightly Central Bank building demolished rather than the Poolbeg Chimneys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I'd much prefer to see the unsightly Central Bank building demolished rather than the Poolbeg Chimneys.

Well I'm not sure the issue is that they've 10 tonnes of TNT to use, and by gum they'll use it!
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Two horrible chimneys. Blow them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Keep them. Definitely iconic

A highly visible marker as you arrive into Dublin by sea or air.

Also one of my first memories as I originally hail from Irishtown/Ringsend.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

They want to build a diaspora centre in Ireland (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/plans-for-national-diaspora-centre-announced-1.1712068). That would make an iconic location for it. It pretty much the last sight of home for many emigrants and the first sight when they return on holiday. Keep em and make the site pay for itself. 100,000+ cruise passengers arrive just across the Liffey, plenty of traffic for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

They better not knock them.

A sentimental portrait of the Poolbeg Chimneys in Dublin, this film questions whether or not they should be demolished. In recent years, the Electricity Supply Board decommissioned them, so this issue has been raised a few times since then. Amongst the tallest structures in Dublin, they can be seen from most parts of the city, and in themselves have become a landmark.

http://vimeo.com/31780474
    ‘Landmark’ by Jenny Keogh (5:03mins)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Could be an incredible tourist attraction/museum if we could somehow attach a glass lift to one or the other or both. Much more original and much cooler than the London eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Could be an incredible tourist attraction/museum if we could somehow attach a glass lift to one or the other or both. Much more original and much cooler than the London eye.

lift on/in one of them then a glass bridge across to the other for a vertiginous skywalk experience?

TBH its hard to see how they can made pay, they're a good distance out from the city centre (from a tourism point of view) and their re-use potential is limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Eyesores.

If people want an iconic city landmark then commission one but to have these two defunct mismatched power generation towers represent the city is a sad idea.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

All iconic city landmark don't necessarily need to be created by fancy artists, for me they are a united North and South Dublin City Icon.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

They should be demolished safely before they fall down

Remember these massive chimneys were build in the late 1960's. If the ESB were to apply for planning permission to build them today they would definitely be refused.

So lets not waste a golden opportunity to remove a blot from the landscape

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Might be cool if they replaced them with two twin buildings of the same height/colour pattern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Battersea power station was earmarked for demolition and look at it now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,725 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Tabnabs wrote: »
    They want to build a diaspora centre in Ireland (http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/plans-for-national-diaspora-centre-announced-1.1712068). That would make an iconic location for it. It pretty much the last sight of home for many emigrants and the first sight when they return on holiday. Keep em and make the site pay for itself. 100,000+ cruise passengers arrive just across the Liffey, plenty of traffic for it.
    John_Rambo wrote: »

Given that there still is a fully functioning power station on the Poolbeg site, I don't think that the site is going to be opened up to all and sundry anytime soon.

lxflyer wrote: »
    Given that there still is a fully functioning power station on the Poolbeg site, I don't think that the site is going to be opened up to all and sundry anytime soon.

I'd suggest safety barriers, sealed off areas, safe viewing areas if it were to happen etc...

ror_74 wrote: »
    Battersea power station was earmarked for demolition and look at it now
    Battersea has a unique architecture, 1920's art deco. You cannot compare the 1960's built Dublin towers to Battersea.
    However, if you wish you could do an image search for "power station chimney" and try to pick out the pretty ones from the plethora of eyesores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

The funny thing is if they weren't there and someone went for planning permission to put them up, there'd be outage.

The funny thing is if they weren't there and someone went for planning permission to put them up, there'd be outage.

ha! You're probably right, but they're there now and they are a fantastic unique landmark. There's just no mistaking where you are when you see them.

OldGoat wrote: »
    Battersea has a unique architecture, 1920's art deco. You cannot compare the 1960's built Dublin towers to Battersea.
    However, if you wish you could do an image search for "power station chimney" and try to pick out the pretty ones from the plethora of eyesores.

You can - both are landmarks. Bit of dickeying up and who knows what potential it might realise.

Or you can have a look at the images raised when you search for Iconic Structures and start to imagine what we could have in their place :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

subpar wrote: »
    They should be demolished safely before they fall down

Remember these massive chimneys were build in the late 1960's. If the ESB were to apply for planning permission to build them today they would definitely be refused.

So lets not waste a golden opportunity to remove a blot from the landscape

Yeah but Leinster house would probably be refused as well. Sure why would anyone want to build themselves a house that size in the city centre:P

I wouldn't, its one of my favourite buildings from that era, you just have to learn to appreciate it. I used to date it altogether, but like Trinity's art block and the texaco building in balls bridge, its grown on me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OldGoat wrote: »
    Eyesores.

If people want an iconic city landmark then commission one but to have these two defunct mismatched power generation towers represent the city is a sad idea.

Utter nonsense. You can't just whistle up an iconic landmark up out of thin air. Iconic landmarks become iconic over time, because of what they come to mean to the people of the city that they are a part of. You can't just design them by committee. Look at the relatively recent additions of the Anna Livia fountain & the Spire to O'Connell St. Despite the best intentions of the planners and designers, the average Dub couldn't give a damm about them.

The Poolbeg towers are something else entirely. They have been a part of our skyline for as long as most of us here care to remember and, they have a place in our hearts as a result. No one is saying that they represent the city in its entirety, in the same way that the Eiffel Tower does Paris, or Big Ben does London. But they are very much a part of our heritage and they should be respected as such.

Heading out to Bray one morning I thought they looked especially nice

P1000533_zpsfabdde03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I've always wanted to get to the top of them and would happily pay for the experience. The view on a clear day would be spectacular. St. James Gate isn't exactly 'pretty' in my eyes but look at what they did with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

lxflyer wrote: »

The ESB Dublin Bay Power Station takes up a remarkable small footprint, smaller than the tower site itself. That area will one day be redeveloped anyway, so most of the structures there are living on borrowed time.

Access by road or by boat to the location is entirely practical.

http://bula.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/739994_833416796685945_3333123871385331142_o.jpg

A large aerial photo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Tabnabs wrote: »
    The ESB Dublin Bay Power Station takes up a remarkable small footprint, smaller than the tower site itself. That area will one day be redeveloped anyway, so most of the structures there are living on borrowed time.

Access by road or by boat to the location is entirely practical.

http://bula.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/739994_833416796685945_3333123871385331142_o.jpg

A large aerial photo

Put link on an AH thread. Great photo. Thanks, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

Still looking at that photo!

Maybe moving the port to Balbriggan(or close by) wasn't the worst idea...

A lot of land there that would be awesome to build on.

Now I don't know the geological stability of the land but would be awesome to live where Poolbeg or Ferrydock now are...

Keep the chimneys though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

If they dont take them down they will just fall down and as for a tourist attraction there will be no hope of that, there is an awful smell of sh'te down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Something that those calling for it to be demolished should also reflect on what's out of vogue now won't always be.
    An example of this is the gasworks building, which was left to rot. Now it's an amazing piece of architecture and you can appreciate the engineering and craftsmanship that went into it.
    Likewise the Georgian squares of dublin many of which the free state knocked. We should be preserving the best buildings from each era, not destroying them because the current generation don't appreciate them. The chimneys are a dublin landmark that many appreciate. Another landmark is the Samuel Beckett bridge or the grand canal theatre. Give it 40 years and people will be calling for the bridge and theatre to be knocked.
    It happens every generation.
    People knocked the city walls of dublin bar some remnants, wouldn't it be cooler for the city if these walls were still in place?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

They're ****. Knock them down. If they're that badly missed in 10 years we can build them again for f all.

Advertisement