Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB considering knocking Poolbeg chimneys again!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

De Bhál wrote: »
    ?
    no it's not
    The chimney wall, not the entire chimney!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've just landed at Dublin. I wouldn't feel like I'd arrived home if I didn't see them on the way in. Them and the cloudy skies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

BowWow wrote: »
    My wish would be that the narrow one be demolished and something like the Seattle Needle be crafted from the other one.

Dam! Brighton have used my vision :p

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2711751/World-s-vertical-cable-car-Work-begins-46m-Brighton-i360-tower-soars-600ft.html

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Duckett

Cool video clip on today's Irish Times website taken from a drone - enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭bigroad

Duckett wrote: »
    Cool video clip on today's Irish Times website taken from a drone - enjoy
    Link please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭bigroad

Watched it on their website thanks.Good show.
    Base jumping comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Was discussing this with mates at the weekend sitting up in the blue light. They are Dublins only real bit of recognizable skyline and it would be a shame to see them go, although I can understand the ESB not wanting to continue maintaining them indefinitely. I would be happy for them to be just left in good repair and painted occasionally at the tax payers expense. I think if they were gone we would soon regret the visual loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

A tourist attraction! Ya I can see the trip advisors reports.

Just go east out past the sewage plant and then past the power station and if you make it past that climb the 200 metres for €15.

Load of bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Duckett

like U2 or hate them - One of U2's early, iconic photoshoots was on Sandymount Strand, with the 'twin towers' of the Poolbeg Generating Station in the background. Clearly the chimneys meant something to U2 – they would subsequently feature in the video to Pride (In The Name Of Love).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Duckett wrote: »
    like U2 or hate them - One of U2's early, iconic photoshoots was on Sandymount Strand, with the 'twin towers' of the Poolbeg Generating Station in the background. Clearly the chimneys meant something to U2 – they would subsequently feature in the video to Pride (In The Name Of Love).
    Even more reason to tear them down. :D

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,684 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Great - The chimneys are iconic & Dublins Twin Towers.

A lovely sight when coming home from abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Great - The chimneys are iconic & Dublins Twin Towers.

A lovely sight when coming home from abroad.

I hope the terrorists don't get wind of the plans to keep them there then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Great news. Love 'em or hate 'em. They are very much a part of who we - oh ok, our skyline - are !

Advertisement