Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat - is this normal

• 11-07-2014 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

As I mentioned in another thread, we have taken on an adult female outdoor cat.
    The previous owner left us dry food for her but in the last few days she seems to have been turning off it. Last night we went and bought her a new dry food, where the first ingredient isn't cereal! I know you are meant to phase new foods in over a while, but that's not really an option when she isn't eating the old one.

The thing is, the feeding recommendation for her weight is 40-60g per day. Last night, because she had already eaten during the day we gave her 30g of the new food and she ate it.
    This morning she was back at the door meowing to be feed. This is the first morning she has come looking for food - normally* she stays in her bed and we don't see her until we get home from work.

Why is she hungrier on the higher quality food?

(*normal been the week we've had her. )

The second thing is I'm taking her to the vets for a general check up tomorrow. I want to get her wormed, de flea and confirmed that she is neutered. Anything else I should get him to check?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

The feeding guides are just a guide.
    With my dogs, one eats just less than advised for his weight and he's a good weight, the other about 2/3 of whats advised for her weight and she's a little heavy.
    My cats are the same, one eats loads more than advised and is very slim, one eats about advised amount and we have to watch her weight, one eats very little but is old and a little heavy.
    Worming is your first port of call, and fleas etc, but once she settles in well, I would just feed her a little more if she's hungry and watch her weight. (It might just be the new stuffs tasty and she wants more)

Vet will give her a good once over, check ears and teeth etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

She obviously loves the food!! Ive noticed with changing foods over the years that some foods turn them into virtual addicts, other foods they wont eat and then theres the better option of foods they enjoy, but doesn't make them follow you around all day wailing for more:o As was said the feeding instructions are just a guide, once you keep an eye that shes not putting on too much weight you can give her more.

Advertisement