Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast 24 hour race, 18 & 19 July 2014

Options
  • 11-07-2014 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭

I'm surprised there is no thread about this race yet, with only one week to go. It is becoming a rather popular race for such an extreme event, to the point that the 24 hours solo run sold out months ago! :eek:

There are bound to be a fair few boardsies doing it. How's everybody getting on? Are the nerves tingling yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Enduro

Was going to post something in the ultra thread on the main page. One of my "A" races for the year. Very much looking forward to it. There are definitely a few boardsies doing it... especially when you include the relay teams. After the 2 weather extremes from the last 2 years I wonder what we will get this year.

Looking forward to seeing how you will get on after having such a great run in Bangor 2 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I did this last year, well, I have the tracksuit top to suggest I did :D;)

So, I watched from the side lines, great event and would love to do it myself but will be away (and haven't been running more than 25 mpw ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Looking forward to it....seering heat and hailstones will do very nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Enduro wrote: »
    After the 2 weather extremes from the last 2 years I wonder what we will get this year.

I wasn't going to check the weather forecast until 3 days before the race, but you just made be! Hmm. Looks like closer to 2 years ago. Ah well, plenty of time for them to change their minds!
    Looking forward to seeing how you will get on after having such a great run in Bangor 2 years ago.

Me too, though I'm not sure if I'm excited or just plain scared. It took me 2 years to find the courage and take up the challenge you (inadvertently?) threw me 2 years ago, when you told me how it would be interesting to see how I could develop on from here.

Is it too early to look at the weather forecast every hour or so? :D

They still keep changing their minds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

ill be there for the mini

Would anyone be able to offer me a lift from Dublin to Belfast on Friday?
    I would want to be at the track no later than 5pm, earlier if possible.

I can take public transport, but with all my stuff to carry around and the inevitable pre-race nerves I'd much prefer a less stressful option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Best of luck to everyone this evening and tomorrow for this - I really enjoyed it last year and was hoping to run it again this year until Anto stole my entry!!
    I am hoping to make it up for a couple of hours tomorrow (hours 17 - 20, or so) so if there are any requests for food/drinks, new legs, etc. let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

belcarra wrote: »
    Best of luck to everyone this evening and tomorrow for this - I really enjoyed it last year and was hoping to run it again this year until Anto stole my entry!!
    I am hoping to make it up for a couple of hours tomorrow (hours 17 - 20, or so) so if there are any requests for food/drinks, new legs, etc. let me know!

Burger and chips for mee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Is there any online tracker for this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭tonyka

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

ger664 wrote: »
    Is there any online tracker for this ?

No need for a tracker, they are running around a 400 metre track for 24 hours. I'll give you the GPS coordinates if that helps ;)

From Twitter

4 Hours Results. I think this is combined 12 & 24 hour races. Dont know what race the leader is running but he has a 2:16 marathon PB. Savage running for 4 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

TRR wrote: »
    No need for a tracker, they are running around a 400 metre track for 24 hours. I'll give you the GPS coordinates if that helps ;)

:eek::eek:

How have I not heard of this event??! 160 laps of a track?! That's crazy. I can't even fathom a 10,000m on the track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ger664 wrote: »
    From Twitter

4 Hours Results. I think this is combined 12 & 24 hour races. Dont know what race the leader is running but he has a 2:16 marathon PB. Savage running for 4 hours

Leader is going for a world 100k qualifier as far as I know.
    I think second and third are doing the 12 hour. From what I can see, our dear leader ;) is possibly running 2nd in the 24hr behibd J O'R

Race organizer just posted a video. TFB is in 4th Billy Holden leads, Geoff Smith second follwed by J'OR.

Race on Eoin Keith defending Champion looks likely to be out of the race leaving TFB in second place 7 laps down on Leader Billy Holden after 14 Hours.
    Paul Marteletti set 6:57:22 in the 100K for an easy world championship qualifier. Records also set in the 12 hours race for both Men and Women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Looks like I won't actually get a chance to go to this now unfortunately.
    TFB will certainly have the plan for consistent time on the track so those 7 laps will mean nothing in the long term. With Enduro out that gives Thomas a great crack at the win!
    Wonder what happened Enduro?
    How's Wounded Knee / JOR getting on?

Latest Update

Jan Uzik Leading followed by John O Reegan and TFB is now third.

The final 4 hours of this race are going to be very interesting indeed. Could even have a sprint finish the way this is shaping up.

• Advertisement

My one comment on that race is: How on earth could I possibly have forgotten how f***ing hard it is to run for 24 hours!!!

Apart from that minor detail, it was all great. Can't wait to do it again, once I've forgotten about the pain, that is ;)

I know this took so long that it is almost out-of-date, but I've finally written my race report.

Health warning: this is long!

http://rubbishrunner.blogspot.co.at/2014/07/the-race.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Enduro

Great running (and report) Thomas! 225km is a superb distance. As I've often said, you've found your natural ability with 24hour racing. Well done on hitting an comfortably exceeding a very good target.

Jan Uzik is an exceptionally talented runner. 236km+ on his first attempt at 24 hours, paced beautifully, and run in a very smooth style. Considering he has only run a few races (of any kind AFAIK), his potential is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

Brilliant race report to match exceptional brilliantly executed plan. So thrilled for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Jan Uzik is an exceptionally talented runner. 236km+ on his first attempt at 24 hours, paced beautifully, and run in a very smooth style. Considering he has only run a few races (of any kind AFAIK), his potential is unreal.

I think possibly his 4th race. :eek:
    1 Ultra and 2 Cork City Marathons previously.

Advertisement