Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which eCommerce engine? Bulk upload ability, with multiple variants & SKU per product

Options
  • 11-07-2014 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭

Hi Boardsies,

I am used to web development and coding, but I'm new to the eCommerce business. I'm doing a project for a friend of the family and their company, but I can't quite figure out where I need to be.

It is a catalogue (which may become a full store down the line) that sells thousands of products from the motor industry. They have reference codes/SKUs and some items.

I need to be able to:
    • Upload the products (in batches, or whatever) via CSV or something
    • Add photos to the above products, and most of all
    • Allow multiple SKUs (essentially, product variants) in bulk
    For example:

Product: Car Bolt DIN 242

Size 1 - 10 x 6: SKU 1234
    Size 2 - 12 x 6: SKU 1235
    Size 3 - 14 x 6: SKU 1236

I have tried to do this in WooCommerce, but it lags it down and is very challenging for a bulk upload, it would appear. I'm giving Magento a go at the moment, but I'l having problems doing the multiple SKU per product and variant issue.

I hope that I can be given some advice.

Many thanks,
    Static.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

You could use magento, it can handle large numbers of products (millions i think)

and its free..

Also, install magmi and use its datapump for doing fast bulk imports of products and attributes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thanks. So what I'm looking for is easily doable?

I'll show you an example of what I mean:

https://shop.berner.eu/berner/export/productgroup/891901/DIN+and+standard+parts/Metric+and+inch+screws/DIN+931+hexagon+head+screw+Stainless+Steel+A2+M+16+M+36&autoForward=true;jsessionid=DC90042B27895E6FF6BFC0469DD71CEF?conversationContext=1

They would be not individual products, but one product encompassing many.

you can do bundled products in magento. best thing would be to do a quick install and try it. It might require a plugin im i cant remember, but its definately possible..

Not sure about multiple SKUs in the same bundle though, youd have to check that (post on magento forum youd get a quick answer)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

You're a legend, thanks.

I've put bundles products up: 3 of them, with ~100 associated, however they don't appear if you make them hidden in search.

I'll check it out. Thank you!

you can disable the child products i think so only the bundle is visible.. if youve hassle let me know i can check.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Have you checked the hosting arrangements? It never ceases to amaze me the number of companies/people who try to run a CMS and an e-commerce solution on a $20 per year shared hosting account.

id recommend AWS with a bitnami setup.. the value isnt too bad but the management of it is great, the elastic memory and drive space is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I like OpenCart. It has a great Import/Export module that imports Excel spreadsheets. I maintain a site using this.

I only use product 'Options' (to allow customers specify the custom text on the product) but it could be used to choose a colour (or a product size in your case). This is easy to use in the Import/Export spreadsheet. The different options/sizes can be different prices (+ or - of the base item cost).

OpenCart has a very cool module called 'VQMod' that allows you virtually modify files using xml files. You can change core modules without editing the actual files. IMO it's a game changer.

Advertisement