Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung galaxy note 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

8-10 wrote: »
    What does this mean? :confused:

Sorry - what I meant was, they won't actually allow me to hand over the €649 and go with my current plan without signing into a contract.

I asked the manager and he said that it was bill pay only. They didn't have prepay ones yet and didn't expect them - maybe a clever ploy to tie me into a contract with vodafone so they can claim commission? I don't know - it did seem strange, I did push them. I even offered to pay extra this evening if I could take it away for the prepay price but no dice :S

OREGATO wrote: »
    Interesting thoughts there guys, much appreciated.

I won't be leaving the country in the next two years.. We've just bought a house so if I were to leave the country I'd have more to worry about than my phone bill!

It's a psychological thing for me but I think I'd rather pay €30 per month, even with a higher price up front - I forget about the high cost at the start, rather than having to pay €55 per month which is a lot higher.

I'm still torn.. but actually, big thanks to wotzgoingon as I just noticed that they have an option to upgrade a phone each year.. that would work for me.. I think I'm sold now!! :D

The option to upgrade each year is not a deal at all....don't get sucked into that. You can upgrade after a year if you keep the original phone in pristine condition and hand it back AND you extend your contract for a further year (resetting it to two years) or you hold on to the original phone and pay a fee for the upgrade after a year (in exchange for adding another year to your contract).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Interesting thoughts there guys, much appreciated.

I won't be leaving the country in the next two years.. We've just bought a house so if I were to leave the country I'd have more to worry about than my phone bill!

It's a psychological thing for me but I think I'd rather pay €30 per month, even with a higher price up front - I forget about the high cost at the start, rather than having to pay €55 per month which is a lot higher.

I'm still torn.. but actually, big thanks to wotzgoingon as I just noticed that they have an option to upgrade a phone each year.. that would work for me.. I think I'm sold now!! :D

Keep in mind, that means you will have to return the Note 4 with no marks or damage of any kind and I do believe that entails resigning the contract for another two years. Basically your just starting again.

Thor wrote: »
    Keep in mind, that means you will have to return the Note 4 with no marks or damage of any kind and I do believe that entails resigning the contract for another two years. Basically your just starting again.

I see.. Guess there is always a catch!

I'm going to sleep on it.. Life's too short to really get bogged down in this I guess. I'm using an s4 at the moment with a cracked screen and held off on buying a new phone until the note came out.. Its been a long 5 months..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Ok, I didn't know that. I was just browsing the site and seen free upgrade after a year. I should really read the small print.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

meh, i never ever had a contract phone, sim free is all i do

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

What's the deal if you leave the country before 2 years are up? Do you have to pay off the remaining balance? I'm in this boat myself, will probably be heading off in a year, and was considering the Note on contact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sorry - what I meant was, they won't actually allow me to hand over the €649 and go with my current plan without signing into a contract.

I asked the manager and he said that it was bill pay only. They didn't have prepay ones yet and didn't expect them - maybe a clever ploy to tie me into a contract with vodafone so they can claim commission? I don't know - it did seem strange, I did push them. I even offered to pay extra this evening if I could take it away for the prepay price but no dice :S

Why not cut out the middle man and just go to a Vodafone store?

Why not cut out the middle man and just go to a Vodafone store?

Good point I guess.. The main reason is, I went into two Vodafone stores yesterday and both have said that they don't have a clue when the phone is coming out and to keep checking the website for updates. I've registered on Vodafone.ie to receive the update about the phone but haven't heard anything yet.

If I can get it in CPW today, I might as well, it's not costing me any more and I already know they have it in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Hachiko wrote: »
    meh, i never ever had a contract phone, sim free is all i do

Hachiko how's that beast going:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

I just ordered mine on contract with Three just there. Anyone have any idea how long it'll take to ship? It didn't say when I was ordering it or in the delivery status

Parcel just delivered :D it's going to be a long day in work :(

Well that backfired.. Into car phone this morning and same issue. Can't sell the phone, even though its launch day. They'll call me when available on their system..

Samsung are holding a launch event in their experience store in Dundrum Shopping Centre tonight from 5-8pm for us Dubliners

ianofitz wrote: »
    Samsung are holding a launch event in their experience store in Dundrum Shopping Centre tonight from 5-8pm for us Dubliners

I rang them earlier. They said the Vodafone ones are sold out and there's a waiting list of 6 for Vodafone.. Even though when I rang yesterday about a waiting list, there wasn't one.. Ah well, I should learn to be more patient :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Well that backfired.. Into car phone this morning and same issue. Can't sell the phone, even though its launch day. They'll call me when available on their system..

Was about to head out the door to the CPW Samsung Dundrum store now - wondering is they can sell it from their "Samsung" branded stores? That blog posting said it was for sale. Can't get through on their land line so going to sit tight for now.

I rang them earlier. They said the Vodafone ones are sold out and there's a waiting list of 6 for Vodafone.. Even though when I rang yesterday about a waiting list, there wasn't one.. Ah well, I should learn to be more patient :))

Won't be much of a launch event if they have no phone's to sell..:confused:

Exactly my thoughts.. Maybe have them on other networks or are awaiting delivery.

Went to Vodafone earlier and they still don't have a clue.. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭leemaree

Did anyone go into an 02 shop yet?

Exactly my thoughts.. Maybe have them on other networks or are awaiting delivery.

Went to Vodafone earlier and they still don't have a clue.. :S

I have purchased a few phones from Vodafone on release....usually the staff don't have a clue. One time, I told them a phone was meant to be released, they went and had a look at the back and found a few boxes of them (HTC One X), then they had to ring their manager to see if they were allowed to sell it to me.

Another time, I went in and they knew nothing about a phone coming out, but I asked them to call me if stock came in. They gave me a call a couple of hours later and had set one aside for me.

• Advertisement

02 have none on there website yet

Got talking to CPW/Samsung in Dundrum and all I got was "out of stock" - seems they launched them yesterday and now none left, probably next week till they get anymore.

Seriously, Samsung are some bunch of clusterfcuks.. They really manage to make a mess of how they communicate information. Also, staff in Vodafone stores that cannot tell you a thing either. Makes me wonder if the staff have any interest whatsoever in the product they are selling..

It's strange when customers are going to a retailer and have far more information on the product than the retailer themselves:pac:

Got talking to CPW/Samsung in Dundrum and all I got was "out of stock" - seems they launched them yesterday and now none left, probably next week till they get anymore.

Seriously, Samsung are some bunch of clusterfcuks.. They really manage to make a mess of how they communicate information. Also, staff in Vodafone stores that cannot tell you a thing either. Makes me wonder if the staff have any interest whatsoever in the product they are selling..

It's strange when customers are going to a retailer and have far more information on the product than the retailer themselves:pac:

To me the most bizarre thing is that Apple and Google are coming straight at them with iPhone 6 plus and Nexus 6 (although I hear the N6 won't be out for quite some time)....I really thought Sammy would promote the Note a lot more.

Agreed.

I think I've found more help on this forum and specifically in this thread than from any sales person.

I really thought they'd have managed this better from all aspects.

Staff not knowing when new stock is coming in is really silly, I mean, one person told me that yes they had it in stock.. referring to the S4 :rolleyes:

No wonder a lot of people are going online to buy things, it takes the pain away.

Basil3 wrote: »
    To me the most bizarre thing is that Apple and Google are coming straight at them with iPhone 6 plus and Nexus 6 (although I hear the N6 won't be out for quite some time)....I really thought Sammy would promote the Note a lot more.

I got a iPhone 6+ at launch to try it out but couldn't stick it and went back to my beloved Note 3. Great hardware but IOS is terrible and fact that massive amount of apps still not scaling for big screen is terrible as they look sh1te!

At least we knew when the iPhone would be available and no stock issues at launch.. Even the Samsung store itself (CPW) is out of stock before the Note 4 launches.. Head scratching stuff.

I got a iPhone 6+ at launch to try it out but couldn't stick it and went back to my beloved Note 3. Great hardware but IOS is terrible and fact that massive amount of apps still not scaling for big screen is terrible as they look sh1te!

At least we knew when the iPhone would be available and no stock issues at launch.. Even the Samsung store itself (CPW) is out of stock before the Note 4 launches.. Head scratching stuff.

They weren't meant to sell it yesterday, it was supposedly restricted from sale but for some reason they were able to do it in the Samsung store in Dundrum.. Quite frustrating how it's all turned out!

They weren't meant to sell it yesterday, it was supposedly restricted from sale but for some reason they were able to do it in the Samsung store in Dundrum.. Quite frustrating how it's all turned out!

There is miscommunication somewhere

I was talking to a person on 02 chat and he said "We do not have the information when the phone will be back online again"

leemaree wrote: »
    I was talking to a person on 02 chat and he said "We do not have the information when the phone will be back online again"

They don't seem to ever have any information

• Advertisement

markad1 wrote: »

Getting frustrated now. I will ask them on here now and see what they say. they'll probably say we have no information

leemaree wrote: »
    Getting frustrated now. I will ask them on here now and see what they say. they'll probably say we have no information

Think we all are! I'm waiting on a call back from CPW which I don't expect to come neither..

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DarkBlonde

They never do! My friend works there and she never has any information on the phones that are being released.
    I think most staff in the phone shops don't have much knowledge on new phones. I got the m8 in cpw on release day and I had a similar experience. I more or less had to tell the guy the phone was released and he went and looked for me. When he was selling it to me I was telling him all about it and he hadn't a clue! I think he thought I was some crazy person.
    I'm kinda annoyed now I won't have this on release day. It's frustrating when you are waiting for a product for so long and then this happens.

This is getting ridiculous. At least they had more iphones on launch day than this phone, none at all

Just got it in the Three store on Grafton St. prepay for €669. They've had it since 9 this morning and apparently I was the first to buy it although it looked like there was another guy buying one as I was leaving. A friend who was in the Samsung store in Dundrum where they have it for sale too said there has been very little interest in it so far. I went into the Vodafone store to check for a friend if they had stock. They were actually a bit rude, I was told abruptly that they didn't have it and didn't know when they were getting it, maybe end of October, they also didn't know what the price would be.

Anyway first impressions are wow the screen is amazing, so crisp and vibrant! A big step up from my washed out dull Nexus 4. Also size wise I'm perfectly happy with it, feels great in the hand. It's going to be a shame to put a cover on it.

326143.jpg

Three seem to be on the ball! I ordered mine online this morning so just hoping it'll come either tomorrow or Monday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Walked into the three store and got one no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭kave2

Walked into the three store and got one no problem.

Is it locked to Three? Any branding on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

kave2 wrote: »
    Is it locked to Three? Any branding on it?

Sales rep told me it was. There are some three apps and a bootup logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Michael_Res1

I picked one up in cpw this morning on vodafone contract. I have been playing with it for a bit. I think the camera is great, especially for selfies. I don't think the plastic backing is too bad. It's definitely an improvement over the 3 and feels snug in the hand, a very good grip and ergonomic design. Coming from an iphone 5, the features are definitely more sophisticated than IOS in a big way.

Interestingly Three are the one provider not supplied by the main mobile distributor for Ireland, Fonua. They provide all others including Vodafone, CPW, O2 and Meteor. The fact that CPW and O2 had some would indicate that they have possibly arrived in via Fonua. Hopefully this means that a larger stock may appear tomorrow or later today on the Vodafone site.

Here's hoping.. as only place I can be getting one is with Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I spoke to O2's dispatch today. He said they have them already and are shipping out more today. some got shipped yesterday if they already had there names and addresses sorted out. Mine got delayed because of their random security check, wish meant they did have my details in the warehouse quick enough.

markad1, let me know how you get on with yours and what kind of branding were looking at here.

Samsung batting out comments on their Facebook Ireland page.. adamant it will be broadly available tomorrow. Wondering if worth taking the kids down to the launch in Dundrum this evening. Worst case they don't have any and I give kids free reign to wreck the place! .. and they better have freebies for the kids too!!!

Friday is a crap day to launch too cause if you buy it online from an operator then you gotta wait till Monday, actually Tuesday this weekend, to play with it. Aargh..

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

Hi there,

I'm not due an upgrade until 6th of December on Meteor. I notice from their site that the Note 3 hasn't been available for months on there. Does anyone know how long it takes for them to stop selling their phablets? Would there be a chance that by December it could be gone? I could always buy my way out of the remainder of my contract for a relatively small amount, or maybe they'd let me upgrade early?

Finally!

I got it :)

Manager in CPW was bang on. Got it no hassles (although work is going to shoot me)

Very sound bloke and recommended a better plan than the one I was going to go for on a few pages back.

Happy out! Will report back when I actually open it but for now, I better do some work..

Thor wrote: »
    I spoke to O2's dispatch today. He said they have them already and are shipping out more today. some got shipped yesterday if they already had there names and addresses sorted out. Mine got delayed because of their random security check, wish meant they did have my details in the warehouse quick enough.

markad1, let me know how you get on with yours and what kind of branding were looking at here.

Thor I'll flash the non branded UK firmware on it if it's on carrier firmware. I't will be later this evening before I'm home, I'll let you know.

Thor I'll flash the non branded UK firmware on it if it's on carrier firmware. I't will be later this evening before I'm home, I'll let you know.

If you flash the non branded UK firmware does that mean you will still get all the updates push out by Samsung in the future or will you have to flash the new firmware every time there is an update? Think I'll be doing the same but going to wait a few months as warranty is voided once you root.

Finally!

I got it :)

Manager in CPW was bang on. Got it no hassles (although work is going to shoot me)

Very sound bloke and recommended a better plan than the one I was going to go for on a few pages back.

Happy out! Will report back when I actually open it but for now, I better do some work..

Do tell.. do do they have them behind the counter and not telling anyone?

Well done BTW... enjoy it! Yep work will shot me too but easier get forgiveness than permission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Rang cpw omni and they sold there allocation of a whole 2 phones today. Meteor omni has them but aren't allowed sell them until tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Got mine in three store in Letterkenny this morning at ten am yeow :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement