Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung galaxy note 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

mtt_swny wrote: »
    Great thread, I've enjoyed reading of everyone's experiences with this phone so far!

Just wondering if anyone has got one from Meteor yet, and is there a colour option with them or will they only be offering one colour? Thanks a lot

I checked at the weekend and they said it would be the grey version for the next while only.

Although this was a guy in the shop so he might actually know what he's talking about either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Anyone know how much Emobile or meteor are charging for this with a contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Hi peeps,

Just got the phone yesterday after converting from iOS and I'm struggling with one small problem, If you use a pin lock, can i not delay it so it won't ask for it, if you have used the device within a specific period of time?? This is a simple feature on the iPhone and can't find it somewhere else. One feature I love about the new phone is when you use s voice to place a call it automatically puts it on speaker phone, which I've wanted on iPhone for a long time (sad and simple i know)

Cheers
    dpjmie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

dpjmie wrote: »
    Hi peeps,

Just got the phone yesterday after converting from iOS and I'm struggling with one small problem, If you use a pin lock, can i not delay it so it won't ask for it, if you have used the device within a specific period of time?? This is a simple feature on the iPhone and can't find it somewhere else. One feature I love about the new phone is when you use s voice to place a call it automatically puts it on speaker phone, which I've wanted on iPhone for a long time (sad and simple i know)

Cheers
    dpjmie

Use the finger print scanner it will save you a lot of time entering a pin number as a quick swipe be grand

But i think you can go into settings for locking the screen and delay it there

Ill have a crack at the finger print scanner, i did the scanning 10 times, but placement of the finger when unlocking was haphazard for me, but maybe i didn't give it enough time with all the excitement :)

Thanks Sam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Hi peeps,

Cheers
    dpjmie

For the pin lock, there is a setting called 'Lock automatically' which allows you to specify the amount of time before it locks. (Settings - Lock Screen)

I have mine set to 30 minutes.

Also, underneath that setting, there is a check box for 'Lock instantly with power key' - make sure that this is not checked, otherwise, you'll have to unlock each time.

Thank you OREGATO, i was locking it with the power key and wondering why it kept asking for pin, now i feel fairly silly!! Im gonna try the fingerprint scanner for the day and see how i get on with it :)

Thanks again

8-10 wrote: »
    Would I be better off getting this in the States or upgrading on Three?

I got the upgrade on 3, the 40.66 price plan on 2 years and the phone works out at 169, you can choose other options but thats the one i went for, if you are due an upgrade, go to the site and check for an upgrade and it gives you the possible options available for ya

• Advertisement

Thank you OREGATO, i was locking it with the power key and wondering why it kept asking for pin, now i feel fairly silly!! Im gonna try the fingerprint scanner for the day and see how i get on with it :)

Thanks again

No problems, let us know how you get on with the fingerprint scanner. I have heard mixed things, I tried it once but it didn't work too well. Also, it's frustrating that there is no option to divert to a pin lock if you can't unlock with your finger instead of the password.

OREGATO wrote: »
    No problems, let us know how you get on with the fingerprint scanner. I have heard mixed things, I tried it once but it didn't work too well. Also, it's frustrating that there is no option to divert to a pin lock if you can't unlock with your finger instead of the password.

Ive added 2 index fingers and my right thumb to the print scans and so far, seems to be ok... they should allow you to define a chosen amount of finger scans i think, I agree, the pin is always quickest (after the fingerprint, once it works flawlessly) any recommendations for apps for an iOS convert??

Cheers
    dpjmie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Why do any of ye bother with any type of lock on yer phones? Surely any thief will be able to get around it anyway.

adamski8 wrote: »
    Why do any of ye bother with any type of lock on yer phones? Surely any thief will be able to get around it anyway.

Maybe they just don't want their other halves reading their messages :b

Im at peace with the fact if my phone is stolen, it'll be used adam, just the fact that friends might pick it up and try annoy ya, better safe than sorry :)

Ive added 2 index fingers and my right thumb to the print scans and so far, seems to be ok... they should allow you to define a chosen amount of finger scans i think, I agree, the pin is always quickest (after the fingerprint, once it works flawlessly) any recommendations for apps for an iOS convert??

Cheers
    dpjmie

I would say pattern unlock is much easier and faster than pin. It actually amazes me the effort iPhone users go to to enter a pin every time they turn on their phone. My girlfriend always had a pin on her iPhone, now she's back to android, she doesn't bother.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    I would say pattern unlock is much easier and faster than pin. It actually amazes me the effort iPhone users go to to enter a pin every time they turn on their phone. My girlfriend always had a pin on her iPhone, now she's back to android, she doesn't bother.

Ah i suppose its really just up to personal choice... on a lighter note, i used my iPhone for my podcasts, is there a way to subscribe to the podcasts on android??

Cheers
    Dpjmie

• Registered Users Posts: 31 rcdunne1

Great thread, been following it over the last month or so.

Hoping to get the phone tomorrow after I get paid!! :)

Quick question what is the main benefit of flashing the firmware? Is it purely to get rid of the networks apps, logo's etc as well as get software updates quicker?

Does it still run Touchwiz if you flash it? I had never considered flashing it until I saw lot's of posts about it last week, they've thrown a serious spanner in the works.

Also is this anyones first time with a note or "two handed phone"? What is it like, is it easy to get used to?

Cheers,
    rcd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

rcdunne1 wrote: »
    Quick question what is the main benefit of flashing the firmware? Is it purely to get rid of the networks apps, logo's etc as well as get software updates quicker?

Pretty much yep :)
    Does it still run Touchwiz if you flash it? I had never considered flashing it until I saw lot's of posts about it last week, they've thrown a serious spanner in the works.

Yea it's the same software as comes with the network versions, just without the logo on startup and any bloatware they've added
    Also is this anyones first time with a note or "two handed phone"? What is it like, is it easy to get used to?

Now admittedly I'm on my 4th Note (have owned each one in the series) and couldn't go back to anything smaller again. You get very used to that bigger screen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

flashing firmware is one thing but the real fun begins when you flash custom roms like Cyanogen, that will show the gulf between android and ios.

Hachiko wrote: »
    flashing firmware is one thing but the real fun begins when you flash custom roms like Cyanogen, that will show the gulf between android and ios.

More importantly, it will show you how bloated full of useless cr*p TouchWiz is....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

griffdaddy wrote: »
    You still use Odin, you just download the official firmware from sammobile.com. I always use it if an update is taking ages to reach my device. My note 3 is the first phone I haven't rooted but I'm considering it at the moment just to get the S5 firmware on it (and subsequently Note 4 firmware once someone whips up a rom) I think it's more people in other jurisdictions that are worried about rooting invalidating the warranty. It definitely doesn't affect the warranty in the EU. Might not look good if you get a picky buyer when you sell it on to buy 4K 7inch 26GB ram Note 5 next year though :pac:.
    [

I'm with meteor but vf seem to be the cheapest on pay as you go, but no luck getting a shop to sell me one (all allocated to billpay). Anyway will flashing the offiicial firmware unlock the phone and allow me to use a meteor sim or do I need to pay someone to unlock it ?

This is my first note, I've gone from a HTC sensation to the Samsung s3 to the Samsung s4 and then with the note 4 as of last week.

You get used to the size really quickly, one handed mode is handy for texting at times. It sort of just feels normal. I think I was overwhelmed by the size for the first 5 minutes and then don't really notice it.

Screen real estate is fantastic. Having the multi windows is a something I won't go without now.

Great phone, I'd definitely recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 rcdunne1

Thanks Kaiser and Oregato for the replies looking forward to finally getting it!

Still undecided about flashing it, I like the idea of it especially getting Lollipop quicker but I'm just not sure if the benefit of it outweighs the risk of me making a b#lls of flashing it.

Is flashing the firmware as straight forward as it has been made out in some previous posts on this thread or as a flashing virgin should I avoid trying it on a brand new phone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks Kaiser and Oregato for the replies looking forward to finally getting it!

Still undecided about flashing it, I like the idea of it especially getting Lollipop quicker but I'm just not sure if the benefit of it outweighs the risk of me making a b#lls of flashing it.

Is flashing the firmware as straight forward as it has been made out in some previous posts on this thread or as a flashing virgin should I avoid trying it on a brand new phone? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

As long as you follow the instructions that Thor posted here you should be fine ... but feel free to ask us anything first if you're at all unsure :)

You do do it at your own risk of course but if you do it right that risk is minimal... even if you somehow "brick" it, it's usually possible to fix things with a bit of patience, reading, and advice (speaking from experience here too :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Question to guys who flashed BTU ROM, i bought phone from Vodafone and have all set it up and thinking to flash now.

I know flashing through odin doesn't wipe data but some of you have to do factory reset and wipe cache partition, is that true, wipe cache is fine as data will be intact, i don't want to go through setting up everything again.

Any way to flash without wiping it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

deep1 wrote: »
    Question to guys who flashed BTU ROM, i bought phone from Vodafone and have all set it up and thinking to flash now.

I know flashing through odin doesn't wipe data but some of you have to do factory reset and wipe cache partition, is that true, wipe cache is fine as data will be intact, i don't want to go through setting up everything again.

Any way to flash without wiping it ?

If you root your phone you can back it up and restore using titanium, not sure if there is any other way to do it? Would be interested in hearing if there is!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Small update got pushed on three's note 4 this morning. Will hold off flashing for a bit longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Small update got pushed on three's note 4 this morning. Will hold off flashing for a bit longer.

If it's the 1.1mb update then that was pushed to unbranded devices in early October.

Just flashed the ROM.

Wasn't showing BTU on recovery , had to wipe data and wipe cache few times, all good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭tommybc

If you flash it with the fw provided in the other page will it then be rooted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

I checked at the weekend and they said it would be the grey version for the next while only.

Although this was a guy in the shop so he might actually know what he's talking about either...

Cheers, yeah I checked in store yesterday, just the black edition available with Meteor. I talked to customer care too, as I'll buy it through them to avail of their double data offer, and they said they'll try order a white one for me but I won't hold my breath. Saw the black one on display in Three store, an it looks excellent anyway, much nicer than any videos led me to believe
    toby2111 wrote: »

Meteor are charging €99 on their smart €59 plan, and €149 on the smart €49 plan. Buying it online or over the phone via customer care, you get double data, so your 3 gigs of data on smart 49 turns to 6 gigs, and likewise you'll get 12 gigs of data p/m on the smart 59 plan, instead of 6. If you get it through customer care, they talk you through the contract over the phone and sign on your behalf, with your consent.

tommybc wrote: »

No root is diff thing.

If you get it through customer care, they talk you through the contract over the phone and sign on your behalf, with your consent.

Will they read the whole contract to you???

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

Will they read the whole contract to you???

Bleadin' hope not :)

Bleadin' hope not :)

They would have to if you asked i guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Got my note 4 today. The screen is amazing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hi...thinking of picking up this on PAYG from Vodafone - I take it there is definitely no problem in getting it unlocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

I. Want. This. Beauty. :eek:

:)

Darwin wrote: »
    Hi...thinking of picking up this on PAYG from Vodafone - I take it there is definitely no problem in getting it unlocked?

Check the site posted few pages back, I did and less than 15 mins I had code, my advice flash straightaway without setting up or restoring as on Vodafone locked phones, Facebook is system app and hard to disable or greenify.

With non carrier ROM info posted by Thor, Facebook is non system app and also you get rid of all Vodafone bloat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ianofitz

So almost a week with the phone. Overall phone is great. I do a bit of blogging and I found it really handy for that. Battery is much better than the Note 2 ever was. The fast charging is unreal, 50% in half an hour? Can say no to that.

The one thing that is p*ssing me off alot though is that there is no FM Radio. I have to to download each app for each station which is: 1. Taking up memory and 2. Annoying having to switch bwtween each app just to listen to the radio.

Anyone have any criticisms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I have a Note3...I see no reason to upgrad€ to Note4.

ianofitz wrote: »
    So almost a week with the phone. Overall phone is great. I do a bit of blogging and I found it really handy for that. Battery is much better than the Note 2 ever was. The fast charging is unreal, 50% in half an hour? Can say no to that.

The one thing that is p*ssing me off alot though is that there is no FM Radio. I have to to download each app for each station which is: 1. Taking up memory and 2. Annoying having to switch bwtween each app just to listen to the radio.

Anyone have any criticisms?

Personally never use the FM radio on my phone. Why not just use an app like tune in radio? Either way, I wouldn't be concerned by the amount of memory these apps take up.

Personally never use the FM radio on my phone. Why not just use an app like tune in radio? Either way, I wouldn't be concerned by the amount of memory these apps take up.

I tried 2 or 3 differents ones there and they're useless. Yeah spose the memory isnt the worst but just the convience of having it all in one would be nice

ianofitz wrote: »
    I tried 2 or 3 differents ones there and they're useless. Yeah spose the memory isnt the worst but just the convience of having it all in one would be nice

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&hl=en

I have the pro version, think I picked it up on sale for 50c at some stage.

tommybc wrote: »

I've had the Note 4 for a week now and it's the first Android that I haven't immediately rooted. I've flashed it with the generic UK firmware, installed Nova launcher and my apps but that's about it.

I think Google/Samsung have finally matured the OS to the point where it's pretty much fine as is. I may root yet to get rid of ads in apps but that'd be about the only reason I can think of at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I usually root my phones too, but I'm leaving mine as it is for the moment. Got it yesterday on Meteor and its unlocked, and doesn't have any operator bloatware, so I'm happy.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I've had the Note 4 for a week now and it's the first Android that I haven't immediately rooted. I've flashed it with the generic UK firmware, installed Nova launcher and my apps but that's about it.

I think Google/Samsung have finally matured the OS to the point where it's pretty much fine as is. I may root yet to get rid of ads in apps but that'd be about the only reason I can think of at the moment.

+1 on this, this is the first phone i haven't rooted and it is buttery smooth, S5 annoyed me so much that i had to root, Extra ram and faster processor helps here too.

Week on and loving the phone more every day!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&hl=en

I have the pro version, think I picked it up on sale for 50c at some stage.

Cool thanks Basil3, I'll give that one a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Might I ask the guys who already have the Note 4: does anyone have an unlocked/sim-free version, and if so: where did you get it?? I've pre-ordered a sim-free/unlocked version (I'm tired of being locked into contracts and would rather wait a while longer than get yet another network locked device from the likes of Vodafone, Three, etc) but Samsung keeps delaying shipment of stock to the store I purchased from (Clove UK), in favour of supplying handsets to their own stores and big mobile networks such as Vodafone... I got a fourth delay notification last night, now the ETA on stock is unknown :confused: The poor little shop is apologising profusely to their customers because their suppliers keep dropping them, making them look bad and annoying the **** out of people like me, who have been waiting since the big reveal to get our hands on this! I had a play around with the display models at my local Samsung Experience store, and it was AWESOME, but they don't have anything for sale even yet...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

has anyone rooted yet ? not being able to write to sd is annoying

• Advertisement
Advertisement