Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung galaxy note 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Darwin

Can you post and do paypal? If so, I'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Darwin wrote: »
    Can you post and do paypal? If so, I'll take it.

Yeah no problem if you pay postage. PM me

PM on the way thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

KTRIC wrote: »
    I got a new Note 4 at the weekend as an upgrade from "Three" and to be honest I'm actually finding it slower than my Note 3 !! Hangouts is sluggish at best and some other apps like Chrome etc aren't as fast. Am I missing something ??? and no the power saving option isn't on.

Thought mine was getting a bit slow at times too, but the multitasking on it wipes the floor with anything I have ever used.
    I can stream video to my tv over wifi and still use the phone as normal without any lag.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

This is suppose to help with chrome,
    it's for all samsung devices.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chrome.deviceextras.samsung

Don't know if it makes a difference but chrome feels bit faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Is anyone tempted to get the Samsung gear VR headset? I was considering it and found out you cant simply use it for video only,like a large one person cinema :), all content must be VR compliant, anyone any experience with this or know if its possible to make personal media VR compatible??

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

Can anyone recommend a tried-and-tested tempered glass protector, one that doesn't diminish the quality of the display too much, and is also available without ordering from the States preferably. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

dpjmie wrote: »
    Is anyone tempted to get the Samsung gear VR headset? I was considering it and found out you cant simply use it for video only,like a large one person cinema :), all content must be VR compliant, anyone any experience with this or know if its possible to make personal media VR compatible??

Hopefully getting it for Christmas, getting the Note 4 partly because of the Gear VR

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

8-10 wrote: »
    Hopefully getting it for Christmas, getting the Note 4 partly because of the Gear VR

Same as myself... .but slightly hesitant to learn that you cant use it with your own personal movies or netflix or that, only likes of marvel and that will release there movie as VR Content

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭pinkstars

Well I went ahead and purchased even though I have the Note 3! Am I mad!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

No, you're not mad. You could be spending money on worse things! Got the Note 4 yesterday on eMobile. Very happy with it. 199 for 24 months contract. 6 months on 24 euro a month, then 18 on 39. 5gig downloads and unlimited everything else. Eircom customer deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Great deal Philip.

Well I paid €599 for it!!!!! Eeeeeek

pinkstars wrote: »
    Well I paid €599 for it!!!!! Eeeeeek

Yes but you're sim free. I'm in a two year contract now. My next phone will be probably be the Note 6!

Best covers or where to get them? A link would be great. Afraid of my life of dropping this!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Best covers or where to get them? A link would be great. Afraid of my life of dropping this!!!

This is the cover I bought last week, arrived today and I must say I'm really impressed. Very thin, doesn't bulk up the phone.

http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Note-Case-Protection-Premium/dp/B00N174VAE

I'm using a Spigen Neo case that arrived in the post today and it's really nice, but a screen protector will be needed too. If you are on ebay, you can get a choice of Spigen cases direct from the manufacturer at a reasonable price:

http://www.ebay.ie/usr/spigen_inc?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Downside is you will have to wait as they ship from California. Otherwise, try amazon uk and take your pick from there (though amazon free shipping will probably be as slow as from California!)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

Darwin wrote: »
    I'm using a Spigen Neo case that arrived in the post today and it's really nice, but a screen protector will be needed too. If you are on ebay, you can get a choice of Spigen cases direct from the manufacturer at a reasonable price:

Downside is you will have to wait as they ship from California. Otherwise, try amazon uk and take your pick from there (though amazon free shipping will probably be as slow as from California!)

I really want to go for a Spigen Neo Hybrid, which one did you go with and did it add much overall bulk to the phone? Cheers

I decided to go with the iLoome Screenmate Flex for the glass protector after doing a bit of snooping about. Seems like as good a glass protector as I'm likely to get. Anyone have any experience with this brand? Sorry I couldn't link to the exact protector, it seems I can't post urls as my post count is too small...

mtt_swny wrote: »
    I really want to go for a Spigen Neo Hybrid, which one did you go with and did it add much overall bulk to the phone? Cheers

I decided to go with the iLoome Screenmate Flex for the glass protector after doing a bit of snooping about. Seems like as good a glass protector as I'm likely to get. Anyone have any experience with this brand? Sorry I couldn't link to the exact protector, it seems I can't post urls as my post count is too small...

I bought the case on here actually from user youcancallmeal (just go back a page on this thread and you can see pics of it). I also bought one on ebay with the red frame down the side. Yes it adds a little bit of bulk to the phone, particularly when looking at it from the back, but the inside is made from soft TPU material so the chrome finish won't get scratched. I bought a generic glass protector on ebay so not too sure what the quality will be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

I got this, review said not the right size but just got today, amazing quality and clarity. Doesnt fit full phone but covera the screen and most part, good value for money. Ordered 1 more for backup.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00OC1X2BC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1415223118&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Interesting article here on the virtues of the Note 4 as a gaming device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Has anyone fitted a tempered grass screen protector ?

There is a big thread over on xda developers forums about how the rounded glass on the note 4 causes these proectors to lift at the edges and have a halo effect.

Just waiting for my ultimate shield
    http://www.ultimateshield.co.uk/

Flaccus wrote: »

There is a big thread over on xda developers forums about how the rounded glass on the note 4 causes these proectors to lift at the edges and have a halo effect.

Check my post above, that one is perfect as it doesnt cover the full front so no halo effect, very happy with mine and great price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Well I went ahead and purchased even though I have the Note 3! Am I mad!!!

It's a bit strange to have both on the go IMO but your call

Just fitted one which I think is the same one as linked to by deep1 (I don't have the shelfone branding, but the packaging and specs are identical otherwise). Anyway, yes I have a visible Halo moreso on the right hand side. I made a bags of aligning it correctly so had to take it off again, that probably didn't help!

Just returned from the Samsung Store in Mahon point in Cork and got the 2nd last one of these :

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EF-PN910BLESTA

A bit pricy at 30 euro but it has a really nice tpu around the edges and reinforced corners. The back is textured hard plastic and grippy. The back is also raised so camera does not touch anything when phone is down flat. And the front has a lip so the glass does not touch anything when placed face down. The buttons are also black tpu and very responsive. I sort of didn't like the way the silver plastic buttons on the spigen neo rattled a bit. The blue colour is also pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

I got this

SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDXC 128 GB UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card 30 MB/s + SD Adapter + Memory Zone Android App (SDSDQUA-128G-U46A)

this

Galaxy Note 4 Screen Protector - Invisible Defender [3+1 Free/MAX HD CLARITY] Lifetime Warranty Perfect Touch Precision High Definition (HD) Clarity F
    Sold by: Ringke Official UK Store

and this

Galaxy Note 4 Case, i-Blason Slim Leather Wallet Book Cover with Stand Feature and Credit Card ID Holders For Samsung Galaxy Note 4 [SM-N910S / SM-N91
    Sold by: I-Blason EU

Really good phone this just getting used to the stylus, the functions on it are very cool. The screen protector is fine, fits perfect.

so has anyone noticed any gaps on the phone ? :p i think some apple guys were trying to cause a stir.

Hachiko wrote: »
    I got this

SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDXC 128 GB UHS-I Class 10 Memory Card 30 MB/s + SD Adapter + Memory Zone Android App (SDSDQUA-128G-U46A)

this

Galaxy Note 4 Screen Protector - Invisible Defender [3+1 Free/MAX HD CLARITY] Lifetime Warranty Perfect Touch Precision High Definition (HD) Clarity F
    Sold by: Ringke Official UK Store

and this

Galaxy Note 4 Case, i-Blason Slim Leather Wallet Book Cover with Stand Feature and Credit Card ID Holders For Samsung Galaxy Note 4 [SM-N910S / SM-N91
    Sold by: I-Blason EU

Really good phone this just getting used to the stylus, the functions on it are very cool. The screen protector is fine, fits perfect.

so has anyone noticed any gaps on the phone ? :p i think some apple guys were trying to cause a stir.

I have the phone now for a few days and I haven't noticed any gaps. As you say, some apple fan boys trying to deflect from Bendgate!

Fitted the ultimateshield glass protector tonight and halos along both edges so it's a bust.
    Will have to try another.

Very happy with the Samsung case I got. Does not add too much bulk and very decent protection. The blue texture on the back with samsung logo is very striking. Would recommend it.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EF-PN910BLESTA

Went for this mirco sd card as Amazon have it on sale, and it is extremely quick.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Memory-MicroSDHC-without-Adapter/dp/B00J2C87T8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1415323224&sr=8-4&keywords=samsung+64gb+micro+sd

• Advertisement

Philip42 wrote: »
    I have the phone now for a few days and I haven't noticed any gaps. As you say, some apple fan boys trying to deflect from Bendgate!

No gaps here either. No stuck pixels.
    I do get a weird problem when I open something up in a browser it asks me if I want to use Internet or Chrome. I select Chrome and Always, and it pops up a message about clearing defaults every time even though I have cleared the defaults. Must check to see if I have disabled the inbuilt browser.

Other than that no issues. I do think the phone is every so slightly laggy compared to the M8 I had before this. But its rare enough it happens.

there is no gaps i think what they were on about is the recessed metal bevel on the outside that wraps around the inner screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Does the full 128GB get picked up by your phone? Originally the official specs stated that max 64GB SD would be supported (though pre-announcement rumours were speculating on 128). I see now that Samsung.com is showing 128GB under the specs... I have a 64GB SanDisk Extreme Plus (80MB/s - it's fantastic!!!) from my last smartphone: already has all my music and photos, so I just popped it directly into my Note 4, so I probably won't be upgrading my storage anytime soon: 32 + 64 is more than sufficient for me (for now anyway), I'm just curious.

I just picked up the only wallet/stand cover they had at carphone warehouse (actually, it was the ONLY cover at all that would fit!) as an interrim measure until my Samsung SView cover arrives in stock.

Ordered the iLoome Flex screen protector - not quite the tempered glass but sounds pretty good from what I've heard (and they do mention on their website that there is a tiny gap to cater for the curved screen - but it appears to cover everything up to the curve)

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Ordered the iLoome Flex screen protector - not quite the tempered glass but sounds pretty good from what I've heard (and they do mention on their website that there is a tiny gap to cater for the curved screen - but it appears to cover everything up to the curve)

Order the same protector myself from amazon. Hopefully no halo effect with this one. I think they even provide stickers to use the hinge method to apply.

Has anyone noticed the volume output on the headphone socket is very low. What's the best app to sort this, assuming I leave my phone unrooted.

Also, what do you think of the stock earbuds and what would you recommend as an upgrade ?

Has anyone noticed the volume output on the headphone socket is very low. What's the best app to sort this, assuming I leave my phone unrooted.

Also, what do you think of the stock earbuds and what would you recommend as an upgrade ?

Had same issue, go to setting- application setting ( very bottom)- Personalise call sound- pick adapt sound and go through while it set it for you.
    Make sure you have headphone on and not much background noise.

• Advertisement

Ordered 1 of these, had similar for S5 and can't remember how many time it saved my life, with Note 4 faster charging it might not be needed for some but comes very handy for traveling, swap the battery and good to go again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SAMSUNG-EB-KN910BWEGWW-EXTRA-BATTERY-BIANCO/dp/B00NFWTX8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415353507&sr=8-2&keywords=note+4+battery+kit

Order the same protector myself from amazon. Hopefully no halo effect with this one. I think they even provide stickers to use the hinge method to apply.

Yeah, I got mine off Amazon too (UK, but it's coming from the States: San Diego...), just posted that link as it has all the details. Yes, it should have 'hinge tape' to help with application. Mine is due to arrive next week (hopefully early in the week, it is currently en route), so I'll post an update when it arrives. Looks about the best I've seen so far anyway.

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Yeah, I got mine off Amazon too (UK, but it's coming from the States: San Diego...), just posted that link as it has all the details. Yes, it should have 'hinge tape' to help with application. Mine is due to arrive next week (hopefully early in the week, it is currently en route), so I'll post an update when it arrives. Looks about the best I've seen so far anyway.

Cool.

By the way, I downloaded Equalizer which integrates perfectly with Spotify and is far superior to the in built basic samsung equalizer 'SoundAlive'. Equalizer will even change your preset automatically in Spotify and you can increase the bass and volume.

deep1 wrote: »
    Had same issue, go to setting- application setting ( very bottom)- Personalise call sound- pick adapt sound and go through while it set it for you.
    Make sure you have headphone on and not much background noise.

Will give it a go. Thanks.

I sorted the low output listening to spotify by downloading equalizer which completely integrates with streaming music players.

119Gb available showing up on sd card storage. :) not sure where the rest went,

• Advertisement

119Gb available showing up on sd card storage. :) not sure where the rest went,

The review below mentions it shows as 119gb so nothing wrong with your card
    http://www.androidcentral.com/look-sandisks-128gb-micro-sdxc-card

Also drive manufacturers market drives in terms of decimal (base 10) capacity. In decimal notation, one megabyte (MB) is equal to 1,000,000 bytes, one gigabyte (GB) is equal to 1,000,000,000 bytes, and one terabyte (TB) is equal to 1,000,000,000,000 bytes.

Programs such as FDISK, system BIOS, Windows, and MacOS use the binary (base 2) numbering system. In the binary numbering system, one megabyte is equal to 1,048,576 bytes, one gigabyte is equal to 1,073,741,824 bytes, and one terabyte is equal to 1,099,511,627,776 bytes.

So while your micro sdx card is marketed as 128gig, your phone sees it as less.

another explanation
    http://petapixel.com/2012/10/10/why-hard-drives-and-memory-cards-have-less-space-than-advertised/

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

What's the deal with sim unlock website? Can I just get anyone network note 4 and unlock it myself ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

Well after two weeks a happy owner of the Note 4 (full retail price) it's all turned a bit sour. Was making a call yesterday when the screen dimmed then when black. Thought is was just some power saving but so I tired to wake it back up then gave it a restart but nothing showed. Even pulled the battery and sure the device boots up and you hear the loading sound but the screen stays blank. It can still receive calls as in it rungs out but no response from the screen or interaction via the capacitive touch sensor.

Made a quick and nasty video of the issue here and logged a support request with Samsung.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYuU_-b3tVk

Anyone else experienced this?

Sebzy wrote: »
    Well after two weeks a happy owner of the Note 4 (full retail price) it's all turned a bit sour. Was making a call yesterday when the screen dimmed then when black. Thought is was just some power saving but so I tired to wake it back up then gave it a restart but nothing showed. Even pulled the battery and sure the device boots up and you hear the loading sound but the screen stays blank. It can still receive calls as in it rungs out but no response from the screen or interaction via the capacitive touch sensor.

Made a quick and nasty video of the issue here and logged a support request with Samsung.

That looks bad, haven't seen anything like that.
    Just a thought, have you tried reflashing same few via Odin?
    Take backup before, worth a shot.

Fiddlex wrote: »
    What's the deal with sim unlock website? Can I just get anyone network note 4 and unlock it myself ??

Haven't tried any network but Vodafone definately works, have been tried and tested by me and one other user.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

Sebzy...... that's terrible. Let us know how you get on with getting it fixed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sebzy wrote: »

You should be able to just return it to where you bought it from in exchange for a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

No sign of this coming back into stock in payg on Vodafone anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

That looks bad, haven't seen anything like that.
    Just a thought, have you tried reflashing same few via Odin?
    Take backup before, worth a shot.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this requires adb access and would void the warranty.

Haven't tried any network but Vodafone definately works, have been tried and tested by me and one other user.

Worked just fine for me too - Vodafone prepay (the only ones who seem to have any stock off-contract, and their price is much better than that advertised by other networks), unlocked and I'm now using my 3 sim card with no issues: have made and received calls and texts, data, no problem. It's been over a week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement