Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung galaxy note 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

what about cutsom roms, thats a no then ? seems pointless thats the whole point of android.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Apparently I'm a flashaholic. Flashed and rooted with Exposed re-enabled - all seems good. Will post back if I notice anything odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 rcdunne1

Has anyone had or heard of people having issues with wifi connection with their Note 4? It keeps on connecting and disconnecting with the wifi when I'm at my home. I had a Samsung S4 and never had this issue. It seems to be going in and out of wifi connection every couple of minutes. I've only had the phone a week now so wondering if I should get in touch with Samsung or give it another few days to work itself out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

On a side note (excuse the pun), my previous phone was a Galaxy S4. I updated the firmware and it carried a few bugs, so I tried downgrading the software (with official firmware) and it tripped the Knox flag, as downgrading isn't possible. I was trying to go back to an earlier working firmware. I spent many late nights trying to undo what I had done, but unfortunately tripping the Knox warranty flag blows some kind of electronic "fuse" apparently and can't be undone. I never felt the same about the phone after that. Ever since, I avoid any kind of firmware flashing myself. I'm not about to go down that road with the Note 4. Bottom line, I'll wait for Meteor to release any firmware. Early releases can be buggy so I'm in no hurry to upgrade. Loving the phone as it is, laggy and all as it occasionally may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

Fcuking Knox.

I'd almost consider a Note 4 but for that.

Yeah, Samsung are trying to get a piece of the corporate market with Knox. Having said that, I'm still sticking with them because of their removable batteries and expandable storage. I have to say though, I was really annoyed with them over the S4. The bug in their firmware was in their stock keyboard. I just thought, imagine in the days of hardware keyboards on phones there was a bug with no way of replacing the keyboard. We'd all be stuffed. Unfortunately the stock keyboard is my preferred method of input so I'm at their mercy if they balls it up again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Anybody having battery issues? Mine runs down like crazy - even on power saving. Haven't looked into why yet - switching connections maybe or background apps probably, but to date it's been worse than my 3 year old iPhone 4S (which drove me crazy for the same reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

rcdunne1 wrote:
    Has anyone had or heard of people having issues with wifi connection with their Note 4? It keeps on connecting and disconnecting with the wifi when I'm at my home. I had a Samsung S4 and never had this issue. It seems to be going in and out of wifi connection every couple of minutes. I've only had the phone a week now so wondering if I should get in touch with Samsung or give it another few days to work itself out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Haven't seen that mentioned before. I used to have a problem with my note 3 where it would continously forget wifi passwords but not the issues you're having.
    Have you tried this with different wifi networks or just your home network? If it's happening with multiple networks I'd send it back. If you're feeling adventurous you could flash an alternative stock rom yourself which might fix your issue if it's software related.
    My sisters s4 had an issue where it wouldn't connect via Bluetooth to her car kit. It would however connect to everything else but the car kit. I flashed a different stock rom and it sorted it out.

rcdunne1 wrote: »

Cheers

I had a similar problem with my S4. I rectified it by going into the dialer, typing in *#0011#, select wifi menu option and turn off wifi power saving. Hope that helps!

8-10 wrote: »
    Anybody having battery issues? Mine runs down like crazy - even on power saving. Haven't looked into why yet - switching connections maybe or background apps probably, but to date it's been worse than my 3 year old iPhone 4S (which drove me crazy for the same reason

If you go into Advanced wifi settings (long press the wifi toggle on the pull down shade, go into advanced menu option), and turn off the "allow Google to always scan for networks" option. That was a big battery drain on my S4 especially during standby over night. See if that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

deep1 wrote: »
    Flashing via Odin doesn't trip Knox as long as you are flashing stock firmware.
    Mine note 4 is originally on Vodafone, flashed btu earlier and now dbt, knox still 0.

Mine is the same. On vodafone. Flashed btu earlier and had to do a wipe data/factory reset in recovery mode for CSC-code BTU to showup.

I just flashed the dbt and can confirm in safe mode that N910FXXI1ANK4 is what is listed under Android System Recovery on top of screen. But it still says on bottom of screen in yellow : Applied the CSC code : BTU. Have done a wipe data/factory reset twice now and BTU still showing !!

Any ideas ?

<EDIT> Went through setup and keyboard is different and makes different noise
    When I check about device it shows Baseband version : N910FXXU1ANK4. Kernel version date is Monday Nov 17th.
    When I dial *#1234#it shows CSC as ANK4 too.

So back into recovery mode and still showing on bottom of screen in yellow :
    #MANUAL MODE#
    Applying Multi-S
    Applied the CSC-code : BTU

Should this not be DBT ?
    Have wipred data/factory reset and wiped cache partition 4 times now. And reboot between each wipe.
    Still showing BTU.

By the way the DBT update adds facebook, facebook apps, messenger and instagram. Can't be uninstalled just disabled :(
    Interestingly it also adds the Gear VR Service !!

Have disabled the lot including blurcheckout, flipboard, google playbooks, newstand, music, hancom office viewer, messages messenger, pen.up and samsung galaxy. Had to keep svoice as needed for google now voice rec on lock screen.

interestingly my google restore put appy gamer, appy geek,amazon, and mx player pro back onto the sd card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Flaccus wrote: »
    By the way the DBT update adds facebook, facebook apps, messenger and instagram. Can't be uninstalled just disabled :(

Have disabled the lot including blurcheckout, flipboard, google playbooks, newstand, music, hancom office viewer, messages messenger, pen.up and samsung galaxy. Had to keep svoice as needed for google now voice rec on lock screen.

interestingly my google restore put appy gamer, appy geek,amazon, and mx player pro back onto the sd card.

Yeah Facebook, messenger are pre installed but good they are not system apps like Vodafone fw where one couldn't even disable.

Haven't bothered with CSC yet as I might prob flash back to btu when update is available.don't want to setup all over again.

In my experience of flashing a DBT firmware to the S4, I found that I needed to use the CSC changer app to change it to DBT. You'll need to root to use that, and in doing so you'll trip the Knox flag which can't be reset. That would be enough for me to avoid rooting. Not sure if that bother's you or even helps you for that matter! The DBT firmware is normally first to get updates but I didn't like that a factory reset puts it's back to German log on screens. Incidentally, if the CSC and rom don't match, the status of the device will be Custom rather than Official but you probably already know that. You can get the CSC changer app on the Play Store. This is just my experience. I wouldn't dream of messing with my Note 4 in that way and if you damage your device in the process of doing any of the above its your own lookout!

Philip42 wrote: »
    In my experience of flashing a DBT firmware to the S4, I found that I needed to use the CSC changer app to change it to DBT. You'll need to root to use that, and in doing so you'll trip the Knox flag which can't be reset. That would be enough for me to avoid rooting. Not sure if that bother's you or even helps you for that matter! The DBT firmware is normally first to get updates but I didn't like that a factory reset puts it's back to German log on screens. Incidentally, if the CSC and rom don't match, the status of the device will be Custom rather than Official but you probably already know that. You can get the CSC changer app on the Play Store. This is just my experience. I wouldn't dream of messing with my Note 4 in that way and if you damage your device in the process of doing any of the above its your own lookout!

Thanks for the info. I am not rooted so can't use the csc changer. And I won't risk rooting.

So in m current situation what are the disadvantages of having different csc and rom ? I assume I won't get updates now as it's custom and really only advantage is the lag improvements.

Therefore can I flash back to btu without tripping knox ? Assuming I do this, will I have to go through factory reset again. I had to do a reset when I flashed btu to get csc to update but csc is already btu now.

Thanks for the info. I am not rooted so can't use the csc changer. And I won't risk rooting.

So in m current situation what are the disadvantages of having different csc and rom ? I assume I won't get updates now as it's custom and really only advantage is the lag improvements.

Therefore can I flash back to btu without tripping knox ? Assuming I do this, will I have to go through factory reset again. I had to do a reset when I flashed btu to get csc to update but csc is already btu now.
    Yes you can flash back to btu, strange enough my ROM was still official even with diff ROM and CSC and Knox is still 0.
    You don't need to reset as CSC is btu and ROM will be btu too, I flashed back to btu too just because of Facebook as system app

Yes you can flash back to btu, strange enough my ROM was still official even with diff ROM and CSC and Knox is still 0.
    You don't need to reset as CSC is btu and ROM will be btu too, I flashed back to btu too just because of Facebook as system app

Yes, I think if you flash the latest BTU it should put you back to official status when they both match. Having said that, with my S4 it took me about ten or eleven flashes before custom changed to official. It can be very frustrating. The only other way of doing it quickly, as far as I know, is using Triangle Away app and reseting the counter to zero and there's an option to putting it back to official using that too. The only downside, and it's a big one, is, you need root access to run it. I didn't mind doing it with my S4 because the horse had bolted and Knox had already been tripped, but if you're trying to avoid that, I would just flash it until it changes to official. Who knows, you may get lucky and it could work first time! That's strange. I didn't know if they didn't match that it would still show official. I don't think you receive updates if it's not official. I wouldn't get too hung up on the Knox flag. Many people say that Samsung don't refuse warranty based on just that. I suppose it may prove to be a problem if you employer want you to use your phone as a work phone and want to use the Knox security features. Be careful whatever you do. Be it on your own head.

How do you check if its official or custom if they don't match ?

How do you check if its official or custom if they don't match ?

Power off the phone, then boot up by pressing, power button, volume up and home button, i am very sure your should be official too.

• Advertisement

Thanks. So pressed up, home, power on.
    Phone starts in recovery mode. I leave go home and power on, and it boots to recovery.

So where do I see if its official ?

Top of screen in red says
    Android system recovery <3e>
    KTU84P.N910FXXUIANK4

Bottom of screen is yellow and says :
    # MANUAL MODE #
    -- Applying Multi-CSC...
    Successfully applied multi-csc

Thanks. So pressed up, home, power on.
    Phone starts in recovery mode. I leave go home and power on, and it boots to recovery.

So where do I see if its official ?

Top of screen in red says
    Android system recovery <3e>
    KTU84P.N910FXXUIANK4

Bottom of screen is yellow and says :
    # MANUAL MODE #
    -- Applying Multi-CSC...
    Successfully applied multi-csc

I always check that under "About Device" "Status. It says it at the bottom of the screen, either Custom or Official

Philip42 wrote: »
    I always check that under "About Device" "Status. It says it at the bottom of the screen, either Custom or Official

Doh. Device status shows as official. Thanks.

And It's volume down, home, power on for download mode which shows current binary as samsung official and knox counter is 0. So all ok. Had to remove battery to reboot though. And it's volume up, home, power for recovery mode. I was going into recovery mode earlier which is why I could not check status.

And It's volume down, home, power on for download mode which shows current binary as samsung official and knox counter is 0. So all ok. Had to remove battery to reboot though. And it's volume up, home, power for recovery mode. I was going into recovery mode earlier which is why I could not check status.

All is good so. Glad you're happy.

Now to go back to BTU :)

Apologies for mixed up, indeed it is volume down.

Going back to BTU, check for link Thor sent earlier in this thread, That's fast link, i had the binary saved so just flashed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Played with one today for a while. Unless there's some beast stuff going on under the hood that becomes apparent with longer use, no way would I bother upgrading from my Note 3.

Thanks Philip42 and deep1. Back to BTU firmware.

What do people think of the Google launcher. That combined with google calendar, inbox, messenger, keyboard and the lollipop wallpapers; give it the Android Lollipop look
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-5-0-lollipop/450359-lollipop-wallpapers.html

Now sure if I like the launcher though. The icons seem chunky. And can no longer write a message from the lock screen with the s-pen and some widgets are missing like the s-pen one. Nova looks better in my opinion and I comes with lollipop icons also.

Thanks Philip42 and deep1. Back to BTU firmware.

What do people think of the Google launcher. That combined with google calendar, inbox, messenger, keyboard and the lollipop wallpapers; give it the Android Lollipop look
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-5-0-lollipop/450359-lollipop-wallpapers.html

Now sure if I like the launcher though. The icons seem chunky. And can no longer write a message from the lock screen with the s-pen and some widgets are missing like the s-pen one. Nova looks better in my opinion and I comes with lollipop icons also.

I don't like google now because of huge icons, Nova prime beta has lollipop drawer option too and also icons as you mentioned.

I am back to TW for now as i find it much smoother.

Yeah, I think google now launcher is a bit clunky and I have noticed some lag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I use Launcher +.

Like the big icons and doesn't seem to be a hog.

• Advertisement

Thinking I might go back to Nova Prime again but then you loose ability to use s-pen on lock screen.

Can someone please take a look at their headphone jack. Mine has a little white piece along the outside edge almost as if the paint scraped off.

Thinking I might go back to Nova Prime again but then you loose ability to use s-pen on lock screen.

Can someone please take a look at their headphone jack. Mine has a little white piece along the outside edge almost as if the paint scraped off.

Does it looks like this?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/465402-paint-flaking-off-around-headphone-jack.html

Mine is fine so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yep I have the same problem, little bit of the paint chipped away. Not going to return it or anything but annoying none the less

Yep I have the same problem, little bit of the paint chipped away. Not going to return it or anything but annoying none the less

Mine is fine, but I'm yet to put a headphone jack in it! Watching Sherlock the other night and he remarked that somebody was a drinker because of the paint chippings around the USB port of their phone, which they caused while inserting their charger while drunk! Could we have the same situation here I wonder? Lol.

Exactly. It is the samsung earphone jack that causes it. Brought it back to store this evening and when I put the jack in, another bit chipped off. But they didn't want to know as cosmetic stuff is not covered under warranty. They just gave me another pair of samung ones. Not happy. Mine is flaking off even more now. They said if it gets worse they might be able to send it off for repair. Bought on the 1st November as well !!!

I knew I shouldn't have bothered with earphones as the amp is so weak on the note 4 and just got me a decent pair of bluetooths.

Exactly. It is the samsung earphone jack that causes it. Brought it back to store this evening and when I put the jack in, another bit chipped off. But they didn't want to know as cosmetic stuff is not covered under warranty. They just gave me another pair of samung ones. Not happy. Mine is flaking off even more now. They said if it gets worse they might be able to send it off for repair. Bought on the 1st November as well !!!

I knew I shouldn't have bothered with earphones as the amp is so weak on the note 4 and just got me a decent pair of bluetooths.

Ah that explains, I have never used Samsung headphone with note, I use iPhone headphones everyday, and no sign of paint chipping.will keep using that so.
    Thanks

Back into store today. Created a stink about paint chipping off phone as it's gone from around the edge of the phono socket completely. Was able to demonstrate it. So they replaced it with a new one :)

This time will be getting bluetooth phones. Thinking of samsung gear circle.

Do you think there is a chance this could be dodgy. Carphone warehouse staff seem to think so as they said it's not out yet. Then again they claimed the gear live is not out yet either despite being available on the play store.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00P3BURIG/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

Back into store today. Created a stink about paint chipping off phone as it's gone from around the edge of the phono socket completely. Was able to demonstrate it. So they replaced it with a new one :)

Great to hear they sorted it for you like that, always worth expressing your annoyance in situations like this and if the paint was falling g off mine that early in I'd be hoping for a replacement too. No issues here with mine and I use the headphone jack all the time. In fairness though, after an early bump or two with my note 2, I've been obsessively careful with my note 4 so far, esp as I've no case on it yet.
    I do like the sound (no pun intended) of Bluetooth headphones though, let us know how you get on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

Speaking of cases, just wondering what ones people went with so far, and how you rate them etc... Thanks

I have just about tried them all. Have a case fetish. :eek:
    Having tried the spigen slim armor, ultra hybrid, otterbox commuter, uac navigator, supcase, encase, tech21, incipio and a bunch of others, I think the best case by far is the Samsung official protective cover. Looks nicer in person than in the photos. The Samsung (carphone warehouse) store in Mahon Point in Cork carries them.
    http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones-accessories/EF-PN910BLESTA

It offers goodish protection, especially in the corners, a modest lip to protect the screen, the camera is also recessed in the back, and it's fairly stylish, with a good texture and does not feel slippy in the hand like the spigen or otterbox and does not attract fingerprints/grease marks like the UAC. I also like the blue color.

One thing to be aware of is the aluminium edges of the phone are very soft and people on some forums are complaining about cases scratching them.
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/453319-your-case-scratching-chamfered-aluminum-edge-your-note-4-a.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHJ44Ypa_fE

I had my Note 4 replaced last Saturday (paint chipping due to headphone jack), and the first thing I did was check for this. And brand new there are a few scratches (must be the milling or polishing that causes it). But really only visible in bright light. And now even with the Samsung case I have has a caused a few more marks but no where near as bad as what the UAC and Spigen cases are doing. Therefore to minimize these problems, I would look for a very soft tpu case or go the samsung official route like I did, and just leave it on.

• Advertisement

mtt_swny wrote: »
    Great to hear they sorted it for you like that, always worth expressing your annoyance in situations like this and if the paint was falling g off mine that early in I'd be hoping for a replacement too. No issues here with mine and I use the headphone jack all the time. In fairness though, after an early bump or two with my note 2, I've been obsessively careful with my note 4 so far, esp as I've no case on it yet.
    I do like the sound (no pun intended) of Bluetooth headphones though, let us know how you get on there.

I got an early pressy of a pair of powerbeats 2 bluetooth earbuds the weekend. Not a fan of beats but these don't sound half bad. Maybe not worth 170 euro (think that's what Argos charge) but they are pretty loud. Definitely compensates for the less than stellar amp on the note 4. And the bass is not over emphasized on previous beats. Overall pretty happy. Just trying to find a comfortable tip now.

Regarding the paint chipping, it happened my friend too. The paint is very thin along the edge of the headphone sock where it's near the aluminium. His issue was caused by using a slightly larger headphone jack which scraped the edge and then it started to erode. Not happy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭munkee

In my experience, paint chipping is common on Samsung devices. I've owned two S3s, a couple of friends have S4/S5s, all have a bit of chipping, particularly around the outer edge.

One particular friend has worn most of the paint away, he is hard on his phones, but it looks cr*p.

Just a quick note that update is available for BTU now, happy downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The NJ4 firmware update is now being deployed OTA for those with the unbranded BTU firmware. Will be interesting to see how long those with the branded firmware have to wait?

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

I'm unbranded and got the ota 123mb update to NK4. It's still 4.4.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

markad1 wrote:
    I'm unbranded and got the ota 123mb update to NK4. It's still 4.4.4

Just updated there. Phone seems a lot snappier.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Carrollman

Getting this phone tomorrow and just wondering is it worth rooting straight away or waiting for lollipop update?

Carrollman wrote: »
    Getting this phone tomorrow and just wondering is it worth rooting straight away or waiting for lollipop update?

This phone is beast without even root, I am holding for lollipop. This is the first phone i haven't rooted straightaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Carrollman

Ya I'll have to see if it's worth it once lollipop comes out! Hoping cm12 comes out soon...coming from a nexus and haven't heard great things about touchwiz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

How is the TouchWiz holding up on this one lads?

Advertisement