Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung galaxy note 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 rcdunne1

I'm still having issues with the Wifi on this. It keeps disconnecting and reconnecting to network every 3 or 4 mins it drives me nuts! I have 4G which helps but still it is clearly not ideal. Is anyone else having any problems like this?

I think I will get a replacement device but before I do I am tempted to flash the generic BTU and see if it might resolve the issue. I've never done this before, I basically never thought about it before until I started following this thread. I presume once you flash it once all the updates going forward will be pushed on to the phone and i don't need to get all techy in the future?

From reading the different posts it seems relatively straight forward, even so does anyone have a link to a dummies guide to flashing roms?

I presume I should use the latest FW as opposed to the one from October or should I use the original FW? There is one on SamMobile for December 2014.

Finally and please excuse my ignorance but how do I clear the cache on the phone?

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Guys, I can get the Note 4 from O2, for €535.99 - worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

symbolic wrote: »
    The Google camera app doesn't lag if that's any good to you

Not the actual camera, its the preview of the photo after the picture is taken. Commonly if I am out with the kids and get some good photos I will immediately want to WhatsApp it to the wife but its a painfully slow process on the N4 and it won't allow you to use anything other than the standard Gallery app to do this..

That said, will try the Google camera as a replacement for the stick camera.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Sam Mac wrote: »
    There a great phone in every aspect. But its down to personal preference and styling preference (both software and hardware)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

YES!
    That's a fanstastic price! I, like many others, paid €599 from Vodafone - also a good deal. I've had my Note 4 for 6 weeks now and absolutely loving it!

I am used to Samsung devices, previously owned an S5 but sold it a few months back as I wasn't a fan of the all-plastic design.

How is the build quality on this? Is the 'gap' thing people were complaining about an issue?

I am used to Samsung devices, previously owned an S5 but sold it a few months back as I wasn't a fan of the all-plastic design.

How is the build quality on this? Is the 'gap' thing people were complaining about an issue?

Mine has no visible gap at all. Quality is great - it has a much better look and feel that the note 3 in my opinion: the outer edges are all metal rather than the plastic of the older models. And the back cover has lost the awful fake stitching detail (removable cover too - with the official Samsung S-View cases you actually remove the back cover and clip the case onto the phone directly. Makes for a lovely slim overall effect.

Many people aren't too fond of the TouchWiz launcher, but I find it's quite okay. I haven't been tempted to use another launcher yet anyway. The s-pen is amazingly sensitive too, compared to my older Note 8.0 tablet (which now feels slow and clunky by comparison)

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Mine has no visible gap at all. Quality is great - it has a much better look and feel that the note 3 in my opinion: the outer edges are all metal rather than the plastic of the older models. And the back cover has lost the awful fake stitching detail (removable cover too - with the official Samsung S-View cases you actually remove the back cover and clip the case onto the phone directly. Makes for a lovely slim overall effect.

Many people aren't too fond of the TouchWiz launcher, but I find it's quite okay. I haven't been tempted to use another launcher yet anyway. The s-pen is amazingly sensitive too, compared to my older Note 8.0 tablet (which now feels slow and clunky by comparison)

Thinking of ordering it now - some users were having issues with the device chipping or scratching easily - any issues there?

Thinking of ordering it now - some users were having issues with the device chipping or scratching easily - any issues there?

This has been reported around the headphone socket mostly. I don't use headphones with my Note (bluetooth audio), and have not noticed any chipping or paint imperfections anywhere else. I do keep it safely in it's cover at all times though, but then it goes into my handbag alongside my keys and wallet, etc. No issues so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Not the actual camera, its the preview of the photo after the picture is taken. Commonly if I am out with the kids and get some good photos I will immediately want to WhatsApp it to the wife but its a painfully slow process on the N4 and it won't allow you to use anything other than the standard Gallery app to do this..

That said, will try the Google camera as a replacement for the stick camera.

Thanks

I meant it doesn't lag going going from camera to "pictures taken" area

OK guys, just bit the bullet and bought the Note 4 from O2!

Really looking forward to receiving this baby - anyone with a walkthrough on how to flash it to remove start-ups/bloatware? A PM would be greatly appreciated!

Delighted! - an (expensive!) treat for myself for Christmas :D

Thank_You.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

OK guys, just bit the bullet and bought the Note 4 from O2!

Really looking forward to receiving this baby - anyone with a walkthrough on how to flash it to remove start-ups/bloatware? A PM would be greatly appreciated!

Delighted! - an (expensive!) treat for myself for Christmas :D

Thank_You.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92747256&postcount=586

Don't forget to clear cache and factory reset after

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92747256&postcount=586

Don't forget to clear cache and factory reset after

Thank you Al! :)

How is your Note 4 going?

Thank you Al! :)

How is your Note 4 going?

Great, few little niggles but I've never had a phone that didn't have a few little things that annoyed me. For example I find it very hard to get a pic of my 1 year old daughter that isn't blurry. I even downloaded the sports mode for the camera and its still a strugle. She moves pretty fast!

I tend to change phones quite regularly but I think I'm going to have this one for at least a year which is a lot for me!

Great, few little niggles but I've never had a phone that didn't have a few little things that annoyed me. For example I find it very hard to get a pic of my 1 year old daughter that isn't blurry. I even downloaded the sports mode for the camera and its still a strugle. She moves pretty fast!

I tend to change phones quite regularly but I think I'm going to have this one for at least a year which is a lot for me!

Great stuff - how is the build quality? does it scratch easily? would I be better off keeping it in a soft pouch when not being used?

• Advertisement

Great stuff - how is the build quality? does it scratch easily? would I be better off keeping it in a soft pouch when not being used?

I've had it in a case since day one but I've heard the chamfered chrome surround can scratch quite easily. A friend has the note edge and says he can see scratches on it already!?

My Samsung Wireless charger and S-View Charger Cover arrived in the mail at long last -> happiness :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

My Samsung Wireless charger and S-View Charger Cover arrived in the mail at long last -> happiness :)

Where did you buy those two? Link?

Where did you buy those two? Link?

Amazon (UK):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PU74WG6/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item
    I can confirm that they are genuine Samsung.
    Ships from Korea but sold via Amazon UK.
    They were very quick too: I ordered on Wednesday 10th December, package shipped Friday 12th, arrived this morning :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I have an upgrade this week and I'm trying to decide between the Note 4 or Xperia Z3 Bronze edition. Realistically, the bigger the better and that's why I was going to choose the Note 4 but Touch Wiz is kind of putting me off. I really like the design of the Z3 (especially in bronze) but it's a tad bit smaller. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I have an upgrade this week and I'm trying to decide between the Note 4 or Xperia Z3 Bronze edition. Realistically, the bigger the better and that's why I was going to choose the Note 4 but Touch Wiz is kind of putting me off. I really like the design of the Z3 (especially in bronze) but it's a tad bit smaller. Any recommendations?

I can guarantee everyone in the Note 4 thread is going to tell you to get a Z3....

:D

shuffles03 wrote: »

NOTE 4 of course!! :pac:

Note 4!!
    I enjoyed my Sony (Z1), but the Z-series seems to have a tendency to overheat rather easily, and to be honest, my Note 4's battery life is significantly better for the same usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cheers for the replies! I figured that's the response I'd get :pac:. What are people's views on Touch Wiz? Custom launcher aside, is it annoying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Amazon (UK):
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00PU74WG6/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item
    I can confirm that they are genuine Samsung.
    Ships from Korea but sold via Amazon UK.
    They were very quick too: I ordered on Wednesday 10th December, package shipped Friday 12th, arrived this morning :D

Does the back cover piece add much thickness to the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I've had it in a case since day one but I've heard the chamfered chrome surround can scratch quite easily. A friend has the note edge and says he can see scratches on it already!?

Indeed. Even the act of putting the phone into a case a few times (even samsungs bumper one) can scratch the chamfered chrome. It's very soft. I think the best bet is either put an s-view on there and keep it in a dedicated pocket or use a bumper case, but once on, don't remove it. The problem with that though, is dust,lint etc.. tends to gather near the edges. Soft pouch is probably the way I would do it though.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Does the back cover piece add much thickness to the phone

Barely noticable - it's great having a phone with removable back cover, so the case IS the back cover :) Saves a lot on bulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Just got my Gear VR today.

Oh is it beast!

Thor wrote: »
    Just got my Gear VR today.

Oh is it beast!

Any pics? Where did you buy it and how much was it?

Any pics? Where did you buy it and how much was it?

Bought it directly from Samsung, had it shipped to friend in the states and he shipped it to me. Total cost was around €240. Didn't get hit with any customs as well.

332144.JPG

• Advertisement

Bought it directly from Samsung, had it shipped to friend in the states and he shipped it to me. Total cost was around €240. Didn't get hit with any customs as well.

Very cool! Keep us updated on how you get on with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Is it available in regular stores in the US yet? I'm flying back to Ireland in about 7hrs so have time to go get one if they're in physical stores. Google search suggests no.

8-10 wrote: »
    Is it available in regular stores in the US yet? I'm flying back to Ireland in about 7hrs so have time to go get one if they're in physical stores. Google search suggests no.

It's possible some AT&T stores have them, but it was initially available online only. Best buy may also have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It's possible some AT&T stores have them, but it was initially available online only. Best buy may also have them.

Cheers! Best Buy doesn't look to but there's an AT&T store across the street so will pop over.

8-10 wrote: »
    Cheers! Best Buy doesn't look to but there's an AT&T store across the street so will pop over.

Good luck. let me know how it goes. I'll wait here! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭paddyman

Hi - I also have the Gear VR being shipped from the states as i type. It will be here in the next few days. I am dying for it to get here.

@Thor - how did you get it working?. I am reading the Oculus forums and phones seem to need a OTA update from the carrier. How did you get around this?.

I have a Vodafone Note 4.

Thanks,
    Paddy

Received my Note 4 in the post today from O2, looks good so far, haven't had a chance to sit down and play with it fully yet though.

There is definitely a noticeable gap in mine, as reviewers and others have said, but I can't see it bothering me too much as I will be keeping a case on it and leaving it in a pouch when not being used. No major imperfections that I can see, after just taking it out of the box.

She is a beauty though! :D

paddyman wrote: »
    Hi - I also have the Gear VR being shipped from the states as i type. It will be here in the next few days. I am dying for it to get here.

@Thor - how did you get it working?. I am reading the Oculus forums and phones seem to need a OTA update from the carrier. How did you get around this?.

I have a Vodafone Note 4.

Thanks,
    Paddy

Hey Paddy,

You should already be running the firmware needed for the Gear VR. Check you settings - about and look for the rom version. Should have NK4. There is no way around it, you must have the update for it to work.

Received my Note 4 in the post today from O2, looks good so far, haven't had a chance to sit down and play with it fully yet though.

There is definitely a noticeable gap in mine, as reviewers and others have said, but I can't see it bothering me too much as I will be keeping a case on it and leaving it in a pouch when not being used. No major imperfections that I can see, after just taking it out of the box.

She is a beauty though! :D

Glad to hear you going it. You should have a nice weekend playing around with it. Make sure to grab the galaxy gifts as well. Should be a widget on the home screen with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭paddyman

Hey Paddy,

You should already be running the firmware needed for the Gear VR. Check you settings - about and look for the rom version. Should have NK4. There is no way around it, you must have the update for it to work.

Im on NJ4, will that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

What would you use a Gear VR for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Lost my 2nd smartphone in little over 2 months so bought the note 4 at 12.30pm.....
    Very early 1st impressions coming from the z3 (had the s5 before that)

Pluses
    Great to have fast charging back, Sony was so slow.
    Love the bigger space at 5.5
    Camera with a massive screen is so easy to set up a pic
    3.7mp front cam is great and love the rear selfie gimmick thing
    Icons are better sized than Sony's huge ones
    Swipe keyboard is also easier to use (not sure why)
    Skype calls crisper and clearer
    Doesn't heat up the way the Z3 did!!!

Negatives
    Games and music sound weak compared to the front speakers of the Z3
    Not water resistant (I dropped the s5 down the loo)

I was actually surprised at just how good the back speakers sound on my Note 4.

Sure, they are no BoomSound, but they are definitely better sounding than the S5's speakers.

Def better than the 5's
    One thing I've just noticed is icons disappearing, my phone one did so I rebooted and it was back but now my Google play one is gone, the name is still there.

Def better than the 5's
    One thing I've just noticed is icons disappearing, my phone one did so I rebooted and it was back but now my Google play one is gone, the name is still there.

Do you have a weird rainbow effect/colour shift when you tilt your device at an angle?

• Advertisement

Not that I can notice.

Damn.. mine is starting to piss me off with this issue.

Have u read about others having it online?

Yeah, others are having the same issue. Might just swap it out for a replacement and see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I was actually surprised at just how good the back speakers sound on my Note 4.

Sure, they are no BoomSound, but they are definitely better sounding than the S5's speakers.

The Note 4's speakers are actually louder than the boomsound ones, that said they don't face forwards which counts for alot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement