Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung galaxy note 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DylanK

8-10 wrote: »
    I've never been able to get more than a day on a full charge, including being on power saving mode exclusively from day 1. Battery life is shocking and a lot worse than my iPhone 4S which I use for work

I've had the same problem but I turned off a few things and now the battery will have about 30% left by the end of the day with heavy use of listening to music, games playing, on WiFi, internet etc.

Go to Setting > Display and Wallpaper > turn off Smart Stay, turn off LED indicator. Also disable all apps that you'll never use. I've disable S Voice, Quick Connect, Google Music, Google Books etc. I also install Greenify on my phone to put all unused apps into hibernate. Follow all these tricks will hopefully help with your battery life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭65535

Using 'Location' all the time will decrease battery life as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Inquitus wrote: »
    Mine lasts forever, never engaged power saver mode, best battery I ever had on a phone by a country mile.

Except the Nokia 3310 of course :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

Just downloaded a software update, not installed it yet. I take it this is 5.0...?

Im on meteor, anyone else got it and installed it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

mtt_swny wrote: »
    Just downloaded a software update, not installed it yet. I take it this is 5.0...?

Im on meteor, anyone else got it and installed it yet?

Nope 4.4.4, 5.0 hasn't been released for note 4 yet, install away it make note 4 more snappier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Anyone found the screen scratches easily.. Had a note 3 for over a year and only had one or two very very minor scratches on the glass, had the note 4 for about a month and the screen has some fairly noticeable scratches...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭mtt_swny

unklerosco wrote: »
    Anyone found the screen scratches easily.. Had a note 3 for over a year and only had one or two very very minor scratches on the glass, had the note 4 for about a month and the screen has some fairly noticeable scratches...

No I've had mine since November and I've nothing even resembling a scratch on the screen. Now in fairness I've been strict with giving it a designated pocket with nothing else in it,as the first scratch I got on my Note 2 screen absolutely done my head in. So far, I'm very pleased with the condition of the screen. I'm not a fan of cases on Notes and don't use screen protectors either, so I can only conclude that the designated pocket has been the key to a so far scratchless screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Does anyone have an idea of the release date for the gear vr in ireland, or uk for that matter??

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

Lollipop leak for the Chinese version is over on XDA. So hopefully our model will get the update soon.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/general/chinese-note-4-sm-n9106w-qualcomm-t3007061

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

Ste_JDM wrote: »
    Lollipop leak for the Chinese version is over on XDA. So hopefully our model will get the update soon.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/general/chinese-note-4-sm-n9106w-qualcomm-t3007061

now we need something for our quad core... there is unofficial CM12 but it has a lots of bugs.. it should not take too long

Has anyone pre-ordered (From samsung UK) or bought the gear VR from the US and whats the content like for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

dpjmie wrote: »
    Has anyone pre-ordered (From samsung UK) or bought the gear VR from the US and whats the content like for it?

I have had the gear vr since December.

There hasn't been any new content in the last few weeks. at least nothing new that hasn't been done on it before.

I have enjoyed watching the odd movie/tv show. I really wish we could get netflix working in the cinema.

It's still early days for it and no.doubt developers will look into it, I'm hoping samsung push it out more for that to happen on a decent scale. The lack of a launch outside of the us is having a negative effect on development.

Thor wrote: »
    I have had the gear vr since December.

There hasn't been any new content in the last few weeks. at least nothing new that hasn't been done on it before.

I have enjoyed watching the odd movie/tv show. I really wish we could get netflix working in the cinema.

It's still early days for it and no.doubt developers will look into it, I'm hoping samsung push it out more for that to happen on a decent scale. The lack of a launch outside of the us is having a negative effect on development.

Nice, i ordered mine from Samsung UK and its due to be shipped on wednesday, I Cant wait... im very surprised there isnt work arounds done if you root the device for you to be able to play the likes of netflix and plex in the cinema app... Might be something to look out for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

Question for anybody who bought theirs from Three. Specifically prepay if that matters. Does the unit they supply come unbranded?

By that I mean;
    • No logo's on the back.
    • No boot animations that have Three all over them.
    • No bloatware that can't be removed.
    It's been a long time since I've bought from a carrier, but for once the PAYG price isn't much different to the Amazon.de price.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

On 3 bill pay and my Note 4 has the ugly 3 splash screen thing on boot up ans shut down. No other branding though.

tallus wrote: »
    On 3 bill pay and my Note 4 has the ugly 3 splash screen thing on boot up ans shut down. No other branding though.

The 4G (where it works) makes up for that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

The Samsung Galaxy Note 4 white-on-black screen on boot up is just as ugly too IMO

T83 wrote: »
    Question for anybody who bought theirs from Three. Specifically prepay if that matters. Does the unit they supply come unbranded?

By that I mean;
    • No logo's on the back.
    • No boot animations that have Three all over them.
    • No bloatware that can't be removed.
    It's been a long time since I've bought from a carrier, but for once the PAYG price isn't much different to the Amazon.de price.

Thanks for the help.

Three brand all their phones that way wherever possible (except for Apple devices of course). First thing I did with my last Three phone (a Sony) was flash stock firmware to get rid of the Three splash and bloat!! I bought my Note 4 from Vodafone last October, before 3 started offering them, and flashed stock BTU (UK) f/w right away (quicker updates, removed bloat), and haven't looked back since.

Check out Samsung's firmware page (http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-N910F/BTU/) if you're worried about flashing something you get from a forum. Still on KK4.4.4, latest FW is from December. Check out Thor's post on page 40 of this thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057247128&page=40) for instructions: I did this (and had to do a factory reset after, so flash before you start customising!) and happy as can be with my now-unbranded Note 4 :)
    Flashing does not affect sim/network lock status, and vice versa.
    Flashing will just allow you to remove provider bloat/splash screens, and get your updates directly from Samsung (if you flash to stock unbranded firmward). Network unlock will allow you to use simcards from another provider but won't affect firmware (splash screens, etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭T83

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Three brand all their phones that way wherever possible (except for Apple devices of course).

Thanks for these replies, and thanks for all the extra info and effort AngelaRI. I'm fine with flashing, my M8 became a GPe within 2 days, but I think I'll just be patient and wait for shipping from Germany. I was gonna use this one stock for a while, so being forced to flash right out of the box is just annoying.

• Advertisement

AngelaRI: Did you have to root to flash stook and secondly what are the warranty implications.
    I have rooted a fair few devices in the past but don't want to void my warranty in case of any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

anyone know what chipset the vodafone ireland note 4 uses?

AngelaRI: Did you have to root to flash stook and secondly what are the warranty implications.
    I have rooted a fair few devices in the past but don't want to void my warranty in case of any issues.

No, rooting is not required to flash. As long as you flash with stock firmware, your warranty should not be affected, but it will be voided if you flash with a custom ROM. I've flashed both of my last 2 Android phones (sony and now my samsung) with stock roms, no issues. I've never rooted any device of my own, exactly for the reasons of not wanting to void my warranty.

kjl wrote: »
    anyone know what chipset the vodafone ireland note 4 uses?

SM-N910F (should be all networks in IE and UK using this model) uses the Snapdragon 805

AngelaRI wrote: »
    No, rooting is not required to flash. As long as you flash with stock firmware, your warranty should not be affected, but it will be voided if you flash with a custom ROM. I've flashed both of my last 2 Android phones (sony and now my samsung) with stock roms, no issues. I've never rooted any device of my own, exactly for the reasons of not wanting to void my warranty.

Did you use kies to flash stock ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Did you use kies to flash stock ?

No use Odin.

No use Odin.

Yes, Odin. You can download Odin from Thor's link on page 40 of this thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057247128&page=40), or directly from SamMobile (http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-N910F/BTU/): just click on the firmware you want and it'll take you to a new page containing the stock fw and Odin (3.09 on SamMobile site). I used Thor's 3.10 version from this thread and it was quick and easy. Don't forget to check the CSC after (should be BTU if you're using the UK generic/stock ROM), and do the factory reset if required to make the new fw 'stick' (it works if you miss this, but your updates still come from the provider, rather than Samsung directly)

just after flashing the stock firmware and im on three so im wondering if i will need the apn settings for the 3 network??

If so can anyone be so nice to post???

Cheers Dpjmie

Name=3
    APN=3ireland.ie
    MMSC=http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc
    MMS Proxy=mms.3ireland.ie
    MMS port= 8799
    MCC=272
    MNC=05
    Authentication type=none
    APN type=default,mms,supl
    APN protocol=IPV4
    APN Roaming protocol=IPV4
    APN Disabled
    Bearer=unspecified
    Mobile virtual = both not set

• Advertisement

Network mode=LTE/WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)

dpjmie wrote: »
    just after flashing the stock firmware and im on three so im wondering if i will need the apn settings for the 3 network??

If so can anyone be so nice to post???

Cheers Dpjmie

I'm on Three also, with a phone bought prepay Vodafone, flashed stocked Samsung and network unlocked: I never had to do anything manual wrt setttings, all just worked happily on its own - new handset detected on the network, "do you want to download settings?", no hassles at all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Guys I am due an upgrade and was looking at this phone, you think it's worth getting? I like the look of it but I know the galaxy S6 is just around the corner. Kind of interested in the phone/tablet element though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Guys I am due an upgrade and was looking at this phone, you think it's worth getting? I like the look of it but I know the galaxy S6 is just around the corner. Kind of interested in the phone/tablet element though..

There probably won't be too much the S6 has over the Note 4. Perhaps some new gimmicky features with some being somewhat interesting.

If you can wait the month until the S6 is announced (march 1st) then it may be worth it to find out for sure. Even then, the Note 4 will probably still give it a run for it's month. The larger size means a better battery life is a huge factor.

If your okay with the size of the Note 4, then I would say dive right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Thor wrote: »
    There probably won't be too much the S6 has over the Note 4. Perhaps some new gimmicky features with some being somewhat interesting.

If you can wait the month until the S6 is announced (march 1st) then it may be worth it to find out for sure. Even then, the Note 4 will probably still give it a run for it's month. The larger size means a better battery life is a huge factor.

If your okay with the size of the Note 4, then I would say dive right in.

Yep I am ok with the size, in fact its part of the attraction. Is the battery life better so? Currently on a Samsung S4 and the battery is brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yep I am ok with the size, in fact its part of the attraction. Is the battery life better so? Currently on a Samsung S4 and the battery is brutal.

I've had it since the start and find battery life just about standard as far a smartphones go these days. Plugging out in the morning at 100%, normal use gets me through the day with around 30% to spare but heavy use (i.e. 3+ hours screen on time) and it will be struggling to make it to bed time. Thats just my experience, I've used a lot of phones and while perfectly fine for my usage I definitely wouldn't consider it in the top tier battery life wise.

• Advertisement

Note 4 has 1 of the best battery in the market atm, You will need some tweaking, like greenify to hibernate apps when locked etc.

I get full day with about 20-30% left from 6.30 to 10PM with around 5+ hrs screen time and 1 hr of calls, I have spare battery pack too which haven't used it once because battery is more than enough for my usage and also you have fast charge function on Note 4.

I don't switch off anything for sake of battery, GPS, sync etc is always on.no power save mode, i just use greenify as i mentioned which helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

deep1 wrote: »
    Note 4 has 1 of the best battery in the market atm, You will need some tweaking, like greenify to hibernate apps when locked etc.

I get full day with about 20-30% left from 6.30 to 10PM with around 5+ hrs screen time and 1 hr of calls, I have spare battery pack too which haven't used it once because battery is more than enough for my usage and also you have fast charge function on Note 4.

I don't switch off anything for sake of battery, GPS, sync etc is always on.no power save mode, i just use greenify as i mentioned which helps.

Android System and Kernel (Android OS) combined always take up the majority of my battery according to power saving and gsam battery monitor so I don't think greenify is going to make any difference? I'm quite happy with battery life though just don't think it is amazing. The LG G2 is the last phone that amazed me with battery life.

Android System and Kernel (Android OS) combined always take up the majority of my battery according to power saving and gsam battery monitor so I don't think greenify is going to make any difference? I'm quite happy with battery life though just don't think it is amazing. The LG G2 is the last phone that amazed me with battery life.

Thats where greenify comes handy, keeping the background apps hibernated when not in use, so when you lock the screen, ph is mostly sleep and still get all notification etc and everything works perfectly, I would recommend greenify pro ( donation package ) so you can greenify system apps like Samsung push service so they are not running in background all time, only when needed, this is my typical usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

Thats where greenify comes handy, keeping the background apps hibernated when not in use, so when you lock the screen, ph is mostly sleep and still get all notification etc and everything works perfectly, I would recommend greenify pro ( donation package ) so you can greenify system apps like Samsung push service so they are not running in background all time, only when needed, this is my typical usage.

This could be a very dumb question but when I click it it always just says nothing needs to hibernate. Am I being a dumb ass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

don't notice any battery issues, this is a N910U model

Screenshot_2015-02-09-23-58-51.png

• Advertisement

battser wrote: »
    This could be a very dumb question but when I click it it always just says nothing needs to hibernate. Am I being a dumb ass?

You will need to select apps manually first, once you open the app it will show which app are running in background, don't select the apps you rely on most like gmail, text app etc.
    this article explains more about shortcuts.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/08/29/greenify-2-4-somehow-brings-automatic-hibernation-to-non-root-users/

Hachiko wrote: »
    don't notice any battery issues, this is a N910U model

Screenshot_2015-02-09-23-58-51.png

That looks quite good to me, Can i ask how come your Android system is so low?

Do you have GPS on?, How many emails accounts and do you have sync on for contacts, calendar etc?

65535 wrote: »
    Name=3
    APN=3ireland.ie
    MMSC=http://mms.um.3ireland.ie:10021/mmsc
    MMS Proxy=mms.3ireland.ie
    MMS port= 8799
    MCC=272
    MNC=05
    Authentication type=none
    APN type=default,mms,supl
    APN protocol=IPV4
    APN Roaming protocol=IPV4
    APN Disabled
    Bearer=unspecified
    Mobile virtual = both not set

Thank you so much, it wasnt needed in the end, i kinda jumped the gun in anticipation, but ya never know the settings may come in handy at a later stage

Thanks again
    dpjmie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

That looks quite good to me, Can i ask how come your Android system is so low?

Do you have GPS on?, How many emails accounts and do you have sync on for contacts, calendar etc?

Battery ran out this afternoon, no coverage as I was in a meeting room.

i have the usual accounts, gmail, Facebook, etc. location was enable also.

I am rather surprised myself about how good it is.

Screenshot_2015-02-10-13-39-54.png

Lollipop start rolling out in Poland, SM-N901C.

Hope N910F is next.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/02/11/samsung-starts-lollipop-update-galaxy-note-4-sm-n910c-in-polen/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I've just swapped to a Note 4 from an m8 and I'm really enjoying the handset.
    Has anyone got any recommendations regarding widget packs?
    I'm running nova launcher and have a setup I enjoy, but I'm missing some of the HTC style widgets.
    there's a slew of lookalike widgets available on playstore but I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

banie01 wrote: »
    I've just swapped to a Note 4 from an m8 and I'm really enjoying the handset.
    Has anyone got any recommendations regarding widget packs?
    I'm running nova launcher and have a setup I enjoy, but I'm missing some of the HTC style widgets.
    there's a slew of lookalike widgets available on playstore but I'm just wondering if anyone has any recommendations?

I use Weather and clock widget ( for weather), lots of option to choose from Transparent to colour etc and also i use Power toggle widget to quicky open settings and turn on/off wifi, bluetooth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭battser

You will need to select apps manually first, once you open the app it will show which app are running in background, don't select the apps you rely on most like gmail, text app etc.
    this article explains more about shortcuts.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/08/29/greenify-2-4-somehow-brings-automatic-hibernation-to-non-root-users/

Good Lawd I am some plum! Thanks Deep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Does anyone know where I can pick up an note 4 Otterbox ? Had the phone less than a day and some how there are scratched on the screen already. Drives me mental.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can pick up an note 4 Otterbox ? Had the phone less than a day and some how there are scratched on the screen already. Drives me mental.

No idea about the otterbox, but if your in dublin, there is a stand in the ilac shopping centre that do screen protectors fairly cheap and if you ask nicely they even put it on for ya (only if your like me and have tried to put em on and have bubbles all over it)

• Advertisement
Advertisement