Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung galaxy note 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

dpjmie wrote: »
    No idea about the otterbox, but if your in dublin, there is a stand in the ilac shopping centre that do screen protectors fairly cheap and if you ask nicely they even put it on for ya (only if your like me and have tried to put em on and have bubbles all over it)

3 stores sell Otterbox AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can pick up an note 4 Otterbox ? Had the phone less than a day and some how there are scratched on the screen already. Drives me mental.

Got one in citywest shopping centre for 30 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Thanks for the reply, picked one up in the Samsung store in Dundrum, it's in white, but ill live with it. I thought they came with screen protectors but it had to be a separate purchase. So far I'm loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Germany N910F is getting lollipop now. If anyone want to flash can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Tomaspol

Hi,
    I got my SG note 4 few months ago.
    I was looking forward for this phablet a lot.
    My previous phone was SG S3 and I was happy with it but wanted something bigger and really efficient.
    SG Note 4 is a good and fast device but i have to say that is definitely NOT worth it`s high price.
    When you are spending so much money (700 euro) on a phone you have a right to expect it to work outstandingly.
    I like the s pen features and all these handy options and possibilities of this phone.
    I have to say that it is fast as well but unfortunately i noticed some serious issues with this device.
    Namely :

- Disappearing applications icons from the home screen (device restart needed to make them appear again)
    - Freezing. Not the whole phone but certain functions. For example sometimes when i try to add a widget on a home screen it just wont work and then after when i restart the device that widget i was trying to add appears on the home screen duplicated.
    - Lagging. Phone sometimes lags without a simple reason. Restart needed.
    - Touchwiz is sometimes unresponsive. Samsung once again proved that his touchwiz is a lagging s..t

I would like to make it clear that I did not install any dodgy applications on my phone, just the basic ones.
    I do not want to do a factory reset as i do not want to loose all my settings and by the way my experience tells me that even if i would do that after sometime these issues would come back.

Tomaspol wrote: »
    Hi,
    I got my SG note 4 few months ago.
    I was looking forward for this phablet a lot.
    My previous phone was SG S3 and I was happy with it but wanted something bigger and really efficient.
    SG Note 4 is a good and fast device but i have to say that is definitely NOT worth it`s high price.
    When you are spending so much money (700 euro) on a phone you have a right to expect it to work outstandingly.
    I like the s pen features and all these handy options and possibilities of this phone.
    I have to say that it is fast as well but unfortunately i noticed some serious issues with this device.
    Namely :

- Disappearing applications icons from the home screen (device restart needed to make them appear again)
    - Freezing. Not the whole phone but certain functions. For example sometimes when i try to add a widget on a home screen it just wont work and then after when i restart the device that widget i was trying to add appears on the home screen duplicated.
    - Lagging. Phone sometimes lags without a simple reason. Restart needed.
    - Touchwiz is sometimes unresponsive. Samsung once again proved that his touchwiz is a lagging s..t

I would like to make it clear that I did not install any dodgy applications on my phone, just the basic ones.
    I do not want to do a factory reset as i do not want to loose all my settings and by the way my experience tells me that even if i would do that after sometime these issues would come back.

Disappearing icon is pain, happens to me some time, i just installed 5.0.1 lollipop on my note 4 so hopefully that fix it.

Freezing, do you have S voice enabled via home key, if so disable it and see if that makes diff.

Lag- Try to disable bloatware, like chat on, s voice, shealth if you don't use, My phone flies.

If above all doesnt work then wipe the cache partition, It won't delete any data, you can do this by switch off your device and boot up by pressing power, upper volume button and home button.

I have just installed 5.0.1 on my device and it is very fast, as Lollipop has ART as default run time that does make diff , wait for few days to appear on your device and hopefully your issue go away.

Hi @deep1
    I disabled S voice and bloatware as soon as i got my phone.
    I also wiped the cache partition and it did not work either.
    I have installed android Kit Kat on my device.
    How did you get the Lollipop?
    Any idea when will it be released for Note 4?
    It is just a matter of time and it will be available. I hope it will fix my issues.

Hi @deep1
    I disabled S voice and bloatware as soon as i got my phone.
    I also wiped the cache partition and it did not work either.
    I have installed android Kit Kat on my device.
    How did you get the Lollipop?
    Any idea when will it be released for Note 4?
    It is just a matter of time and it will be available. I hope it will fix my issues.

All depends on what carrier you are, Most of us here bought on Vodafone but flashed to UK BTU firmware to get faster updates.

BTU update is not available yet but DBT Germany is, so i flashed DBT rom from here fast link

chrome://mega/content/secure.html#!5hZVDLZY!lAyMwDyX7sHbS3Li9NbhamDPqqoXMO5rRemYnjkq7WI

I will flash back to BTU again once it is available on my phone as i didn't wipe my device to change CSC which can affect future OTA updates.

This flashing through Odin, doesn't increase Knox so warranty is not void, if you are not familiar with all this, stay away and await for it to hit on your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

What's the difference between a BTU and a DBT firmware?

Cheers for the link, I'll install this morning.

• Advertisement

What's the difference between a BTU and a DBT firmware?

Cheers for the link, I'll install this morning.

No diff just diff region, I did same with 4.4.4 and then reverted back to Btu when update is available.

Or you can change your CSC to DBT for faster update in future but that requires factory reset which i don't fancy to loose all app and data and reinstall again.

Also 5.0.1 is also rootable if someone is interested.

deep1 wrote: »
    No diff just diff region, I did same with 4.4.4 and then reverted back to Btu when update is available.

Or you can change your CSC to DBT for faster update in future but that requires factory reset which i don't fancy to loose all app and data and reinstall again.

Also 5.0.1 is also rootable if someone is interested.

Sweet. Have you a link to the root instructions? Sorry for being lazy! :)

Sweet. Have you a link to the root instructions? Sorry for being lazy! :)

Try this, few people have confirmed it works on Lollipop, I haven't done yet

http://download.chainfire.eu/568/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-trlte-trltexx-smn910f.zip

Post us if this works for you.

Updated to Lollipop there, all seems grand. I won't root just yet as it will trip the KNOX warranty flag.

Updated to Lollipop there, all seems grand. I won't root just yet as it will trip the KNOX warranty flag.

Great stuff, can you confirm if your screen wakes up when set to All interruption?
    Mine is only waking up on Priority.

It does seems to yes. I tested by sending txt from Meteor web portal to myself. Doesn't wake for gmail or calender events, just flashes the led as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Defo an improvement, some things are blindingly fast, generally alot less lag, stutter and annoyances so far. Kitkat was becoming a piss poor experience, defo happy with Lollipop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Where'd you get it? I am downloading the 5.0.1 update from sammobile now which is the official one for Germany, shouldn't cause any issues as it is the official firmware for the N910F.

Also, 5.0 has been released for Note 3 N9005 on UK Vodafone so pulling that down too as I might put that one on first to my older Note and make sure all looks good.

Where'd you get it? I am downloading the 5.0.1 update from sammobile now which is the official one for Germany, shouldn't cause any issues as it is the official firmware for the N910F.

Also, 5.0 has been released for Note 3 N9005 on UK Vodafone so pulling that down too as I might put that one on first to my older Note and make sure all looks good.

I have it since yesterday and it is great. Battery life is great and phone is lag free. I posted the link yesterday for fast download which is same as DBT Germany fw, sammobile can be slow download if you are not premium.

Note 4 flying here since lollipop update. Well worth it for anyone considering it. Cheers deep1 :)

can be slow download if you are not premium.

Yep, tell me about it! Won't even let me download the Note 4 until my Note 3 finished. Going to pull that one off the link you posted, Thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone get it OTA for the n910f yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

Note 4 flying here since lollipop update. Well worth it for anyone considering it. Cheers deep1 :)

Are you using the sammobile German update?? Stupid question but is there any issues with language etc?? I have the bloatfree UK Version 4.4.4 and considering updating to the german if there is no issues

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Ste_JDM

3 days on Lollipop now and no complaints at all. Very smooth,

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

no viber message icon when on lock screen is a pain and no easy way to mute:confused:

dpjmie wrote: »
    Are you using the sammobile German update?? Stupid question but is there any issues with language etc?? I have the bloatfree UK Version 4.4.4 and considering updating to the german if there is no issues

Cheers

I am on the German one alright. No issues with language. Only thing I spotted German wise was an pre-installed app pizza.de which I was able to uninstall anyway. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭dpjmie

I am on the German one alright. No issues with language. Only thing I spotted German wise was an pre-installed app pizza.de which I was able to uninstall anyway. Go for it.

Legend, thanks very much!!

I've the German one on the 910F too and no issues. I did have to do a factory reset after installing but that was due anyway as my 4.4.4 build had got really sluggish.

Very happy with performance and battery life seems slightly better, probably back to where it was when I first got the Note 4.

One thing I am delighted with is that they seem to fixed many of the Gallery lag issues and camera seems far nippier at taking quick pics.

Thumbs up from me!

Hi,
    Anyone knows when the Lollipop update is gonna hit Irish SG Note 4 owners ?
    I got my device sim free on Expansys online shop.

Yeah loving it here too, only thing annoying me is the screen doesn't wake up on new notification, like gmail, watsapp etc.
    Notification sound is there and I can see and read notification by touching power button.
    I am guessing it is app support, soon more apps will add support but google apps should have this already.

Hi,
    Anyone knows when the Lollipop update is gonna hit Irish SG Note 4 owners ?
    I got my device sim free on Expansys online shop.

What is your CSC if you got from expansys? I will guess it is BTU so prob end of next week.

• Advertisement

What is your CSC if you got from expansys? I will guess it is BTU so prob end of next week.

My csc is AUT (Switzerland)
    ?

My csc is AUT (Switzerland)
    ?

Keep an eye on this page to see when update is out.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-N910F/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

I've decided to go for the German Lollipop on my Note 4, but I'm now facing a very perplexing problem....
    Boot up into download mode, connect to my PC, and MSM8960 device "No Driver found" message pops up...!
    This is a first for me. I've done some googling but nothing has helped. One guy said a reboot worked. No luck. Another said to check for Samsung KIES installed: yes. Still no joy... Can't find the drivers anywhere!

Has someone had this issue before and been able to resolve it successfully? If so, how?!?!
    My phone picks up no problem in regular mode when I connect via USB to my PC, but in download mode it's an unknown device...

AngelaRI wrote: »
    I've decided to go for the German Lollipop on my Note 4, but I'm now facing a very perplexing problem....
    Boot up into download mode, connect to my PC, and MSM8960 device "No Driver found" message pops up...!
    This is a first for me. I've done some googling but nothing has helped. One guy said a reboot worked. No luck. Another said to check for Samsung KIES installed: yes. Still no joy... Can't find the drivers anywhere!

Has someone had this issue before and been able to resolve it successfully? If so, how?!?!
    My phone picks up no problem in regular mode when I connect via USB to my PC, but in download mode it's an unknown device...

Do you have USB debugging mode enabled in Developer option? That need to be checked, otherwise you will need to manually install the driver.

http://androidxda.com/download-samsung-usb-drivers

Do you have USB debugging mode enabled in Developer option? That need to be checked, otherwise you will need to manually install the driver.

http://androidxda.com/download-samsung-usb-drivers

Doh! I'm an idiot!
    Didn't think to check. I flashed BTU a while back, assumed everything was still okay. Forgot I did a factory reset after and the Dev options reverted to default. Thank you!

I flashed the German rom on mine and usb debugging is not checked

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DylanK

Hey AngelaRI did you do a factory reset when you install the German rom? Was thinking of flashing the German Lollipop but can't be bothered to reinstall all apps and losing all data again!

Doh! I'm an idiot!
    Didn't think to check. I flashed BTU a while back, assumed everything was still okay. Forgot I did a factory reset after and the Dev options reverted to default. Thank you!

Nope, still exactly the same... :(

Nope, still exactly the same... :(

But the manual driver install is doing something :)

• Advertisement

But the manual driver install is doing something :)

Success!! I have Lollipop :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Nikond800

AngelaRI wrote:
    Success!! I have Lollipop 

Glad you got it sorted Angela. How are you finding lollipop?
    I'm on BTU but I'm thinking I'll wait for the ota. If it's not here next week I'll flash. How's the battery life? Camera to gallery lag?

Nikond800 wrote: »
    Glad you got it sorted Angela. How are you finding lollipop?
    I'm on BTU but I'm thinking I'll wait for the ota. If it's not here next week I'll flash. How's the battery life? Camera to gallery lag?

Too early to tell on the battery life, but so far I'm not seeing any significant drops. Camera to gallery actually seems much improved for me over KitKat! For the rest, the general look and feel is not too much changed from KitKat, except the drop-down notification panel/menu, some nice new effects when scrolling hits the top or bottom of the current page, some very muted new effects when selecting (pc equivalent of a click), phone pad is different (rounder), just general superficial changes. Many apps have been adopting the new 'material' design over the last few weeks and months, so we've all had some taste of Lollipop already

After little over an hour of use :P I'm happy with Lollipop. No major shocks, no major surprises. I'm enjoying the design tweaks. Seems smooth. Time will tell for the rest I guess.

The no mute option is annoying but other than that I like it.
    I've turned off vibrate and put the phone into vibrate to silence it.
    If you put it into no interruptions mode the alarm doesn't sound.....nearly slept it out lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

It's a pity you don't get the tap to wake feature on the note 4, the hardware is definitely capable of doing it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭banie01

It's a pity you don't get the tap to wake feature on the note 4, the hardware is definitely capable of doing it

+1
    I have this on my m8 and my lumia, and it's one thing I really miss from the note 4.

Prob note 4 doesn't have it because they have their own Air wake up, which wakes up screen by waving hand over sensor.

Also who have installed lollipop there is smart lock option buried under security which help you automatically unlock the phone based on your setting and location.

Prob note 4 doesn't have it because they have their own Air wake up, which wakes up screen by waving hand over sensor.

Also who have installed lollipop there is smart lock option buried under security which help you automatically unlock the phone based on your setting and location.

Great feature! Have it set to unlock at home and when paired with the BT kit in my car.

Really liking Lollipop now, have it a week and very impressed. The battery life has settled now and I am getting well through a busy day with still about 30% left.

Very stable and fast.

My SG Note 4 screen is cracked :( That is terrible.
    The LCD display is working fine, it is just the glass which is cracked.
    I asked one of the Irish online company for the repair quotation and they reply saying that it will cost E325 !
    That`s just ridiculous.
    I am not sure what to do. Maybe there is some cheaper way to fix it?
    I warn other users : Be careful with your Note 4 or you will pay dearly for that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭65535

My SG Note 4 screen is cracked :( That is terrible.
    The LCD display is working fine, it is just the glass which is cracked.
    I asked one of the Irish online company for the repair quotation and they reply saying that it will cost E325 !
    That`s just ridiculous.
    I am not sure what to do. Maybe there is some cheaper way to fix it?
    I warn other users : Be careful with your Note 4 or you will pay dearly for that !

Bring it in to a street shop - get a quote there - lots of small phone shops now

• Advertisement
Advertisement