Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New twist to hoax Microsoft callers

Options
  • 11-07-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Just had a call from an Indian sounding (Asian) 'gentleman' with the usual Microsoft scam, except, this time he claimed to be calling from Eircom. When I challenged him he insisted he was ringing from Eircom based in Dublin 8 and that I could speak to his supervisor if I didn't believe him. It was the usual scam looking for access to my computer to clear infections and speed it up.
    I kept telling him I didn't believe him just to keep him talking for a while. He eventually told me to f off and hung up.
    Just thought I'd post in case people are not aware that they are now actually pretending to be calling from Eircom and could catch somebody out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

That's good to know, guess localisation really is a booming sector.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

He eventually told me to f off and hung up.

LOL.

The worrying thing is that people will actually believe him.

The whole telecoms industry is very hard to regulate due to how VoIP works. By the way, Caller ID means nothing and it can easily be spooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

He pushed the fact that he was ringing from Eircom and certainly if his English was better you could be taken in.
    He even gave Eircom's address and wanted me to speak to his supervisor. I asked if I could ring his supervisor, he didn't like that!

These crooks are still obviously making money at this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Imagine, somebody pretending to from eircom and is offering help! That's a good one alright....

Advertisement